U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM

45,575 posts, read 65,133,456 times

Advertisements

Consider this, OP:
Bedbugs, fleas, or roaches can hide in used furniture no matter where it comes from: second-hand furniture stores, yard sales, the sidewalk on trash night, auctions, or newspaper listings. Bedbugs.
Add to that baby/pets puke, pee, spilled food sitting deep in the foams etc.

Walmart, Target has recliners for $140-160 with free delivery. Maybe not the best quality but at least new.
Also check local furniture outlets.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM

1,264 posts, read 586,433 times
There is a new business called roadie.com that is like uber for less than truckload items, only for 100 miles max, reasonable charges. I'm going to try it for sending my oversize artwork to shows because shipping companies charge a lot to pickup and deliver to residential addresses, $175 plus oversize shipping fees gets to $700 very fast. Not affordable. Roadie is in the $100 price locally.

A google search for "local movers" will show you what's available to you but it may take a couple calls to find someone to move one recliner. No local mover returned my call (Charlotte NC) because they are very busy moving truckloads. We bought a new recliner recently and made sure delivery was part of purchase, at our ages and husbands back condition it was that or no recliner. Yes we saw it came apart and then easily re-assembled.

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

1,264 posts, read 586,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Consider this, OP:
Bedbugs, fleas, or roaches can hide in used furniture no matter where it comes from: second-hand furniture stores, yard sales, the sidewalk on trash night, auctions, or newspaper listings. Bedbugs.
Add to that baby/pets puke, pee, spilled food sitting deep in the foams etc.

Walmart, Target has recliners for $140-160 with free delivery. Maybe not the best quality but at least new.
Also check local furniture outlets.
The insect reason is why I cannot look at second-hand upholstered furniture even if putting it out for re-cover and repadding.

Recliners and other chairs REALLY need to be sat in for how they fit your body. I cannot buy them online unless there's a store to try the identical chair out.

I also don't order areas rugs online due to color mismatch, even with free return. Did that with Amazon and the re-wrap and hauling to UPS was a "never again" situation. Rug did not look like online photo and my color monitor is calibrated because I'm an artist and exact color is important to my work.

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

6,542 posts, read 3,545,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirlmomof2 View Post
Home Depot has a deal where you could rent one of their trucks for $20 for 75 minutes, with additional charges after that.

You have to refuel before returning, but if it's just a 20 mile move for you roundtrip, you aren't talking big bucks.
I'm glad I kept reading, because I was just about to suggest the Home Depot truck myself. The OP must keep in mind that Home Depot requires a purchase in order to rent the truck; it's not just $20 for 75 minutes (unless rules are different in Washington).

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

6,542 posts, read 3,545,384 times
OP, what is your total budget to buy the chair and have it moved, with a helper?

Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM

16,535 posts, read 15,331,604 times
when i have to have a piece of furniture delivered, I negotiate it as part of the purchase before i buy it. from the time i am on the showroom floor, and they are showing me pieces and quoting me prices i say right up front i need delivery. instead of agreeing to buy a piece and then after the fact asking what delivery costs.

it is ridiculously high. but it can be a negotiating item.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

16,535 posts, read 15,331,604 times
another option is finding a neighbor near where you live and hiring them to deliver it. i had one neighbor who delivered something but wouldn't carry it up a flight of stairs. so i paid a couple neighbor kids to carry it up the stairs, after the other guy delivered it out front.

one thrift store i bought a beautiful heavy wood table, and the thrift store loaded it into my pick up truck so i got it home. but i couldn't carry it up the stairs, so i paid a couple neighbor kids to carry it up.

Old Today, 09:39 AM

1,967 posts, read 907,545 times
We’re moving in exactly one week. I wish you were in the area.... we have a recliner that we aren’t taking. Best wishes!

Old Today, 03:09 PM

103 posts, read 60,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
another option is finding a neighbor near where you live and hiring them to deliver it. i had one neighbor who delivered something but wouldn't carry it up a flight of stairs. so i paid a couple neighbor kids to carry it up the stairs, after the other guy delivered it out front.
How do you approach someone about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
you could try websites like TaskRabbit, Thumbtack, or Dolly where you can hire people for a small job, and specify you need someone who has their own truck
TaskRabbit doesn't service my area and the others don't look very promising either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
OP, what is your total budget to buy the chair and have it moved, with a helper?
Ideally I would pay around $50 for the chair and $20-$40 for the help. I have found several good looking recliners in the area, for around $50-$75 (that didn't look like they were coming from a bedbug infested home), but I had no way to get them..

Would it be possible for one person to carry the bottom part by themselves, if the back was taken off? I have a 1st gen scion xB and it might be possible to fit a recliner in, if it was in two pieces. I actually hauled one for my cousin (before I moved), but it was small and lightweight. I'm looking for one on the larger side, for myself..

Last edited by Hawaii900; Today at 03:33 PM..

Old Today, 03:20 PM

17,793 posts, read 23,361,195 times
Nextdoor for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues