U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 08:06 PM

6,034 posts, read 2,849,095 times

Advertisements

We visited Tucson before moving here, but only for a week in winter.
We had planned to rent a place for six months or so, but found a gorgeous property (with a livable house) dirt cheap. Turns out Tucson is not the ideal place for us, but tons of people are moving here, and we'll make a nice profit when we sell. Or we'll do okay if we stay.

They say most newcomers to Hawaii leave within three years; I was shocked to see how many people bought there sight unseen, brought all their unsuitable furnishings, then fled a couple of years later, leaving all that junk behind. I even found a snow shovel at a garage sale.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 09:36 PM

13,748 posts, read 12,444,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I often think of moving away from Atlanta but most of the places I would move to are far away and right now, I don’t have enough money to visit.

Places like Denver, portland Oregon, maybe Phoenix Arizona and some others. I just want to know would it be a bad idea to move somewhere I have never visited . For the people that have done that, did you regret moving there ? I don’t know anyone in any of those cities either
If you don’t have the money to visit then you definitely don’t have the money to move. I would never move somewhere I have never visited. Most of those cities you list are not cheap places to live either.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:53 PM

22,189 posts, read 10,407,466 times
I've moved to multiple places without visiting, to include Honolulu, New Orleans, Alexandria (VA), and Sydney (Australia). These moves were either for school or work, so I had a "purpose" and way ahead once I got there and didn't have to find work to fund my move. If I was moving without a job/school, I probably would not have done so, unless I was retired perhaps.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:31 AM

5,747 posts, read 4,128,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
Yeah I’m working now. I guess I need to consider staying here for a while until I can get a good job offer to move . I don’t have any “real” skills that would set me apart though
Do you have a car? Do you get vacation days at work? Can you save up enough to take some road trips just to get an idea of what else is out there? Are you already living in your own place? If not, you need to work out a budget to see how much you need to earn if you move somewhere else.

I've lived in 4 different states and loved each of them. And I love road trips and exploring new places.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:24 AM

433 posts, read 1,117,842 times
Default Making A List

I know now that when looking for a place to live, make up a list of things that are important. And I mean everything down to very personal things, not just necessities. Also Google maps are very helpful with their What's nearby function. Unfortunately it was too late when I finally realized that list is probably the most important thing to do and can help avoid making a bad decision. Horrible discovering the negative stuff after spending all that money to move and then find yourself essentially being stuck in a place you hate.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:30 AM

10,660 posts, read 5,916,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i moved some place 1,200 miles away that i had never visited, i did not know anyone there, i did not have a job or any job leads there, i had never been in that state, and i had never even been in that part of the country at all, not within 5 states of it. i literally picked it off a map, and spent 4 days driving there with everything i owned in my vehicle and one month's rent in my bank account.

it was the best move i ever made and i was incredibly happy the 15+ years i lived there
I'd like to hear more about this "literally picking a place off a map" and moving there. You mean with your eyes closed; throwing a dart at a map? Did you have a Top 10 list or a particular geographic area to choose from?

Old 03-30-2021, 10:56 AM

7,994 posts, read 12,082,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
I moved into hell. Everything about this place is horrible to me and my husband. The traffic, the people (with whom I have nothing in common with). I could go on but you get the idea. Sirens all day long. Our health and stress levels have grown to the point that three of my doctors told me to move for my sanity. I understand your hesitancy and yes, it is impossible to look around the way one properly should without using the time and money to do so.
If it's the "hell" you're talking about, we used to live in Manchester NJ (1987-1990). It wasn't much back then, but we did ok there for a few years. Commuted on the Garden State Parkway everyday and we did all of our shopping in Brick Town.

When I look at our old place on Google Maps and Streetview, it doesn't raise any interest from me to return there.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:48 AM

433 posts, read 1,117,842 times
Default Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
If it's the "hell" you're talking about, we used to live in Manchester NJ (1987-1990). It wasn't much back then, but we did ok there for a few years. Commuted on the Garden State Parkway everyday and we did all of our shopping in Brick Town.

When I look at our old place on Google Maps and Streetview, it doesn't raise any interest from me to return there.
For some reason we ended up there 10 years ago and are struggling to find a way to leave. It is so built up, traffic is horrendous and the worst drivers in any place I've ever lived. This goes for the whole area. Building townhouses and condos like there is no tomorrow. People who have lived in Toms River almost their whole lives tell me how it used to be and they can't bear it much longer.

We want to move out of NJ as the whole state is becoming like this as people from NE Jersey are moving here in droves. We had a great opportunity to move to Maine while visiting there and foolishly passed. Lived two years in South Dakota; should have stayed there. Made some really good friends. We are country people and you can imagine what it is like for us here.

One thing I've learned: unless it's necessary, do not move to be "near family". It sounds selfish, but you need to put yourself first or you will end up like us. Hard lesson learned.

Thanks, your post backs me up on how bad it really is, even from Google. I do the Street View thing a lot.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:57 PM

13,748 posts, read 12,444,125 times
Quote:

One thing I've learned: unless it's necessary, do not move to be "near family". It sounds selfish, but you need to put yourself first or you will end up like us. Hard lesson learned.
Did that once. Once. Won't EVER do that again. And I have been told I'm being selfish. My response is that I need to take care of myself and my family. If I don't, who will?

Old 03-30-2021, 12:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,536,687 times
Quote:
For some reason we ended up there 10 years ago and are struggling to find a way to leave. It is so built up, traffic is horrendous and the worst drivers in any place I've ever lived. This goes for the whole area. Building townhouses and condos like there is no tomorrow. People who have lived in Toms River almost their whole lives tell me how it used to be and they can't bear it much longer.

We want to move out of NJ as the whole state is becoming like this as people from NE Jersey are moving here in droves. We had a great opportunity to move to Maine while visiting there and foolishly passed. Lived two years in South Dakota; should have stayed there. Made some really good friends. We are country people and you can imagine what it is like for us here.

Thanks, your post backs me up on how bad it really is, even from Google. I do the Street View thing a lot.

I grew up in New Jersey and couldn't leave the state fast enough, once I was an adult.

The good news is, if you own a home there, you've probably gained a bunch of equity that will help you move somewhere else. Don't stay somewhere that you hate, do whatever you have to to get out of there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues