U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 07:32 PM

2,273 posts, read 720,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
So true. Having lived where I am now any silver lining would have shown by this time. There is a pin that says something like "There is nothing worse than living in a place where you do not belong". Especially when it makes you physically ill, as it has done to me.
Quote:
I think it's a good thing to make a list of what is important -- large items as well as minor. Work off the list when considering a place. I didn't do it and now I am stuck. Good thing to talk to locals, if you can, as well.
DecayingAngel, have you made that list? Have you come up with places you might want to move to? That could get you to your destination sooner. Sometimes if a person has goals to look forward to, instead of just trying to escape where they are at, they're able to reach their destination more quickly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 08:01 AM

446 posts, read 1,131,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
DecayingAngel, have you made that list? Have you come up with places you might want to move to? That could get you to your destination sooner. Sometimes if a person has goals to look forward to, instead of just trying to escape where they are at, they're able to reach their destination more quickly.
Making up a very detailed list is something I learned after moving here. A shout out to Ben Franklin, who may have been history's greatest list maker I was taught a very hurtful lesson. We ended up here as we were running out ot time and our lease had even been extended to allow us more time but when the new tenants were starting to move in that was the end of that. That's another factor: don't wait until you have little time left and must grab something in a hurry. I guess that applies to most things in life also. We do have some prospects; one of them is to return to a state we had lived in for two years but foolishly left. But it's been so long and as we know, things change. Places may no longer be how we remember them. Something else to keep in mind.

The Internet can be of great help, with places like City-Data Forum. It's a person to person site. People really do try to help one another. Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 04-08-2021, 10:11 AM

2,273 posts, read 720,396 times
Quote:
Making up a very detailed list is something I learned after moving here. A shout out to Ben Franklin, who may have been history's greatest list maker I was taught a very hurtful lesson. We ended up here as we were running out ot time and our lease had even been extended to allow us more time but when the new tenants were starting to move in that was the end of that. That's another factor: don't wait until you have little time left and must grab something in a hurry. I guess that applies to most things in life also. We do have some prospects; one of them is to return to a state we had lived in for two years but foolishly left. But it's been so long and as we know, things change. Places may no longer be how we remember them. Something else to keep in mind.

The Internet can be of great help, with places like City-Data Forum. It's a person to person site. People really do try to help one another. Thanks for your thoughts!
Thanks for responding and I hope the next move turns out lots better!

Old 04-08-2021, 11:18 AM

89,284 posts, read 83,969,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but... Instructions unclear, I want to move AWAY from harsh long winters and TOWARDS mountains (CO Springs area)
CO is not the place to move to, to void harsh winters, except parts of southern CO, like Pagosa Springs. You'd do better in the northern NM, which is an extension of the Rocky Mountains, but winters are much milder than in either CO or Flagstaff, AZ. Summers are a bit cooler than Denver, etc., too.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 7,174 times
We are a family of 6 who moved last year from northern Michigan to central Wyoming. Neither of us had ever set foot in Wyoming before the move. We brought our stuff, stuck it in storage, borrowed a trailer and lived in a local campground for 6 weeks while we looked for and purchased a house.
It was a heck of an adventure and yes we're a bit crazy

The funny thing is that towards the end of our campground stay we met another family from Michigan who had essentially done the exact same thing (except they had visited on vacation previously).

As for winters, I've smiled often listening to the locals gripe about what a long cold winter it's been. Compared to where we moved from it's been a piece of cake!

Old 05-10-2021, 11:14 AM

446 posts, read 1,131,666 times
Default Wyoming?

May I asked why you chose Wyoming? Seems it's not on a lot of people's lists.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:18 AM

601 posts, read 265,612 times
Do your research and then realize no place is perfect all the time.

Even the Garden of Eden had a snake problem!

Old 05-10-2021, 02:32 PM

14,003 posts, read 7,442,302 times
Quote:
May I asked why you chose Wyoming? Seems it's not on a lot of people's lists.
And that may have been exactly why they chose it! Not everyone behaves like a lemming.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 681,820 times
I moved to Knoxville, Tennessee, sight unseen 3 weeks ago, without ever previously having set foot in the State.

I am absolutely thrilled. I am the happiest I have been in probably 20 plus years. I am fully aware I am in a honeymoon period, wearing rose colored glasses. In 6 months or a year, I will be noticing much that is disagreeable or annoying. Meanwhile, I pinch myself every morning and give thanks to the Lord God for leading me here. I am just tickled pink.

I did an enormous amount of remote research leading up to the decision to move to West Knoxville. Just a huge amount of research. Crime rates. Weather. Cost of living. Amenities. Natural disasters. Shopping. Home prices. Taxes. Demographics. People. Food. Outdoor activities. Entertainment. Proximity to vacation travel. Medical. Laws. Traffic. Thunderstorms. Tornadoes.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:55 AM

1,108 posts, read 460,653 times
I am absolutely floored that somebody would move to a state without ever having visited it, unless the job offer was too good to refuse, and with the plan in mind that if you hated it there, you would save and work that job and then get out as soon as you had reaped the benefits. I suppose I can imagine moving to a completely unknown state if you had good friends there and were so young you winged it without a care in the world, while having enough money to survive.

There is still a high risk involved in moving to a location even after visiting a few times. Day to day life is nothing like vacations. I have checked out the desert sw twice as scouting expeditions, and I still am stuck in a mental limbo because I don't know what it is really like to live there day to day. Moving is costly, and a move that is later considered a mistake has the potential to be extremely costly. What if you want to return to your previous location and can't do that on the same budget because the area you sold a house in has now become far more expensive to acquire similar?
I have read that Florida retirement real estate is like a revolving door, that half or so of the people who move there to retire end up hating it and leaving within a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues