U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 08:27 AM

6,793 posts, read 14,403,006 times

Advertisements

Seriously would consider renting in the area before you buy a house, especially now with it being a seller's market. Besides housing and job opportunities, there are other things to consider: neighborhood, schools, shopping, healthcare availability, leaving friends and family, hobbies or what you do for fun.

Several friends have moved to an area where housing and taxes were more affordable, but found they did not have family and friends around and the healthcare wasn't very good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 08:51 AM

450 posts, read 1,133,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Yes, never ever move anywhere you can’t spend some time first. Buying in a hurry won’t work for many people. My spouse had work commitments, so I came alone to look at the different areas. A pretty view is not much to base a long distance move, you need to find drive times for shopping, check out your local neighborhoods, quality of medical facilities, how much annual upkeep your future house and property will need, do guns and fireworks go off on a regular basis, are you sitting directly under a flight path, is there a bad predator problem, in case you’re interested in getting chickens. When driving my spouse to a hospital, late one rainy night, trying to navigate unknown dark country roads, I knew this was a big mistake. It was out of my comfort zone and not in a positive way.

Always make a list! It’s the best way to keep track of things you want and don’t want. All I heard about this state is that it rains a lot. Ok..
Excellent, you've covered a lot of important items. What happened to us after buying our first house was that no one mentioned, and we did not experience while looking at it, was the fact that fighter jets coming out of Delaware would zoom very low over the area. And I mean low. They were so loud they would often wake the neighbor's baby up from her naps. Complaints got us nowhere. We just had to live with it. May not sound like a big deal to some, but believe me it was not pleasant.

Old 05-12-2021, 10:27 AM

15,532 posts, read 18,025,085 times
We moved to Helena Montana sight unseen over 11 years ago.

Couldn't be happier.

Great views.

Comes at a cost.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:13 AM

2,853 posts, read 2,960,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Seriously would consider renting in the area before you buy a house, especially now with it being a seller's market. Besides housing and job opportunities, there are other things to consider: neighborhood, schools, shopping, healthcare availability, leaving friends and family, hobbies or what you do for fun.

Several friends have moved to an area where housing and taxes were more affordable, but found they did not have family and friends around and the healthcare wasn't very good.
Some people might move knowing they have family in an area. Perhaps that is their number one concern, so they do some research and move without a visit. I can see that happening. Very few places tick all the boxes, but hopefully the priorities are met.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:34 PM

2,099 posts, read 694,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Tell us what you are loving about your new home! I like to read a success story.
The easiest way is to pimp my Knoxville thread in the Knoxville forum.

Somebody above said “make a list”, and that is pretty much what I did. Here is my thread. Scroll down to post #19, which explains what I love so much about living in my area of West Knoxville.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/knox...oxville-2.html

Old 05-13-2021, 10:38 PM

2,099 posts, read 694,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Glad for you! I drove through Knoxville on I-40 about 8 years ago. I think it is a beautiful little city and area. If I didn't have the opportunity I have right now, I would consider Knoxville.
Many locals are telling me that Knoxville is being flooded with people moving in from out of state. I don’t know the growth rate or how it ranks nationally among similarly sized cities, but apparently Knoxville is experiencing solid multi-year growth.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:27 PM

11,145 posts, read 12,635,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We moved to Helena Montana sight unseen over 11 years ago.

Couldn't be happier.

Great views.

Comes at a cost.

Wow, that's' cold. But, it looks beautiful. I had a friend in Helena in the 90's so I remember her mentioning it a bit.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:30 PM

3,916 posts, read 7,088,274 times
I've done it. It worked out, but I wouldn't recommend it.. When I moved to San Antonio, I actually rented an apartment (It was brand new) sight unseen, I never would have lived in that neighborhood if I knew better.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:55 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,575,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The easiest way is to pimp my Knoxville thread in the Knoxville forum.

Somebody above said “make a list”, and that is pretty much what I did. Here is my thread. Scroll down to post #19, which explains what I love so much about living in my area of West Knoxville.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/knox...oxville-2.html

I just read it, thank you for sharing. It sounds like it absolutely checks most of your boxes!

Old 05-17-2021, 05:19 PM

1,255 posts, read 355,705 times
My opinion? One word: Don't.
IF you decide to do so - and it's your decision - one more suggestion: RENT.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues