Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 01:40 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

I personally would not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 02:32 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I often think of moving away from Atlanta but most of the places I would move to are far away and right now, I don’t have enough money to visit.

Places like Denver, portland Oregon, maybe Phoenix Arizona and some others. I just want to know would it be a bad idea to move somewhere I have never visited . For the people that have done that, did you regret moving there ? I don’t know anyone in any of those cities either
Depends on what you want. I lived in Phoenix for 15 or 16 years, it’s very hot for several months of the year. It’s a tourist and transient town, lots of employment, shopping, good restaurants, things to do, people are friendly. I’d definitely recommend visiting in July though, the heat is crazy and it doesn’t go away until October. When it gets really hot, fights break in public parking lots, people can’t stand the heat, it makes them edgy.

I throughly checked out Washington, but landed in the wrong area. Everyone forgot to mention that rural Washington looks a lot like rural West Virginia, old beaters and mattresses in front yards. It’s also cut off from the big cities like Seattle and Portland. I 5 can get stalled easily and you end up sitting in traffic. Seattle is a nice city, so is Portland, but if you can’t afford to visit, don’t move there, it’s super expensive. Rural places are cheaper, but locals can be hard to get to know and a tavern in the middle of nowhere might not be for you, if you like nightlife.

Save up and visit first, people and locations aren’t always what you expect. Of all your choices, Phoenix would probably be the easiest to move to as a single. I met people from all over the country, and there are lots of jobs. It’s a transient city, so plenty of people moving there, and rents would be cheaper than some of your other choices. Hope you land in the right place.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:30 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I was talked out of buying something sight unseen a few years ago, when I couldn't yet travel there to check it out (dozens of houses, actually, over the years)... Now the market is absolutely ridiculous, and I'll be lucky to find ANYTHING I can even afford to purchase.

Do it! If it turns out to be the wrong decision, you can always do it over.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:13 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I often think of moving away from Atlanta but most of the places I would move to are far away and right now, I don’t have enough money to visit.

Places like Denver, portland Oregon, maybe Phoenix Arizona and some others. I just want to know would it be a bad idea to move somewhere I have never visited . For the people that have done that, did you regret moving there ? I don’t know anyone in any of those cities either
No, it's not a bad idea. It's easier when you are single, harder when you have to move a family.

I was 26 and single when I moved from NYC to Phoenix in 1972 with a freshly printed college degree and a few thousand in savings. I'd never visited, just packed up my car and went. Sure, being away from family all those years was a little sad, but I made a life for myself here and never regretted the move.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:31 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
i moved some place 1,200 miles away that i had never visited, i did not know anyone there, i did not have a job or any job leads there, i had never been in that state, and i had never even been in that part of the country at all, not within 5 states of it. i literally picked it off a map, and spent 4 days driving there with everything i owned in my vehicle and one month's rent in my bank account.

it was the best move i ever made and i was incredibly happy the 15+ years i lived there

Old 03-29-2021, 06:16 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
I am moving from my home state of California where I lived 5 decades, to Knoxville Tennessee in a week. Never set foot in the city. Never set foot in Tennessee except to cut a corner of the state during a mortorcycle trip from San Diego to New York City.

Wish me luck.

The key for me, is Knoxville is where I am beginning my home search. I am not expecting to find Knoxville my forever place, but it is a forward operating base 2,400 miles closer to where I might want to live forever in retirement. Also, a place to travel the eastern seaboard on vacations. This saves me at least 4,500 miles round trip every vacation as opposed to living in California.

If I fall in love with Knoxville, great. I won't have to move and rent before buying a house. Otherwise, I will be looking at a variety of cities throughout the south east from Virginia to Florida and the Gulf states.

A big upside for me is that I can drain my 401k without paying any state taxes.

So I feel a lot more confident about moving to Knoxville as a forward operating base for travel and seach for a retirement destination, than if I was "guessing" Knoxville was my new forever home. Here is hoping I love it and can stay put, but it is fine if I am there only a few years and move somewhere else I really love.

It is all good.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Where will you be living/staying while you look? Just nosy!

Old 03-29-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Never move AWAY from... always move TOWARD something.
Had a solid job offer before they left and/or some useful skill NEEDED in the new location.
I am lucky to have both. I hate California so in that regard, I am moving away. But I have always wanted to live on the east coast, so in that regard, I am moving toward something and fulfilling a dream. Carrot and stick.

I feel sorry for the people moving away from a state they hate or have severe problems with, but without having a clear draw on the other end. That is a hard situtation to be in.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Where will you be living/staying while you look? Just nosy!
I will be living in West Knoxville. I wanted to live in Farragut but it is a bedroom community. Not too many apartments.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:20 PM

474 posts, read 1,260,224 times
Default Hard Decision

We were in a position where we had to move quickly. We knew nothing about the area or the people. We are both retired so the job bit doesn't come into play. We used a realtor who never mentioned any negatives and as I said, we had only a short time to move.

I moved into hell. Everything about this place is horrible to me and my husband. The traffic, the people (with whom I have nothing in common with). I could go on but you get the idea. Sirens all day long. Our health and stress levels have grown to the point that three of my doctors told me to move for my sanity. I understand your hesitancy and yes, it is impossible to look around the way one properly should without using the time and money to do so.

Found a pin on Pinterest that said "There is nothing worse than living somewhere where you don't belong." So very, very true. Good luck whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues