Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2021, 01:09 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Did that back in 2012, but I had a job offer. Moved from the Tampa Bay area to the Quad Cities (IA/IL); I wasn't even targeting that area. I was in a tough spot and needed a new job ASAP; I got the offer and packed up whatever could fit in my car and headed north. Fortunately, I had enough money for a hotel-stay while apartment-hunting and the initial rent + deposit(s) once I found a place. I was lucky - the job and the location ended up being great for a couple of years. I left in 2014 for a better job offer in a different area.

You really, really want to have some type of job/income lined up before doing such a thing, unless you have many MONTHS of expenses saved up.
I don't think anyone ever has targeted that area, outside maybe people who live within a 100-mile radius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 05:13 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Ever heard of Google Earth?

Old 03-30-2021, 07:49 PM

334 posts, read 520,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Never move AWAY from... always move TOWARD something.
Not to hijack the thread, but... Instructions unclear, I want to move AWAY from harsh long winters and TOWARDS mountains (CO Springs area)

Old 03-31-2021, 06:14 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but... Instructions unclear, I want to move AWAY from harsh long winters and TOWARDS mountains (CO Springs area)
You have a goal of moving to a specific area with mountains. It's something that you want, that you think will make you happy.

Some people don't seem to have that, they only have some vague notion that if they could only flee whatever negative thing they don't like then their lives would suddenly be wonderful. They are so focused on escape that they don't really think too much about what their new life might be like and what other things they might have to give up when they make that escape.

Here in TN we get a lot of people who want to flee their high COL areas, they get here and realize that our low COL has a price that they aren't happy with. We aren't progressive enough, we don't have enough social services and public safety nets, we lack good public transportation, wages aren't as high as 'back home' and the list goes on. These people didn't move here looking for the lifestyles we can offer, they simply fled a perceived problem and expected that the rest would somehow work itself out to their liking.

As to the OP, yes I've moved sight unseen. Mostly when I was younger and unencumbered, but my last move was a pre-retirement move to an area that I had only been through a few times on my way to a nearby vacation spot. The only thing I really knew about it was that I liked the general area as far as weather and topography and the people seemed to generally have the same values that I did. I spent many months doing internet research before I bit the bullet and took temporary housing here while I looked for my new home. I can happily say that it's been ten+ years and I have no regrets.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:47 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I often think of moving away from Atlanta but most of the places I would move to are far away and right now, I don’t have enough money to visit.

Places like Denver, portland Oregon, maybe Phoenix Arizona and some others. I just want to know would it be a bad idea to move somewhere I have never visited . For the people that have done that, did you regret moving there ? I don’t know anyone in any of those cities either
Self-evidently a questionable decision, but "have" people done it: I'm sure, it's called being a refugee.

If there isn't enough money, curious the genesis of such remarks to begin with. Flights from a hub like Hartsfield-Jackson to Sky Harbor are maybe $275 on Delta, I just checked out of idle curiosity. That took 30 seconds. Last time I popped into Tempe I stayed at a nice place for $119/night not far from Arizona State's campus.

I'm thinking: escapist mindset, meaning whatever problems currently exist will also travel to the new location. Reminds me too of those on C-D who turn up in the Hawaii forums wanting to move and "find some peace." Can't find it in Lincoln, Nebraska or Columbus, Ohio: maybe Hawaii? Or Portland, or Phoenix, or Tangier Morocco.

Good luck with that. Bus tickets are not terribly expensive. Nor is being a vagrant in Portland, with plenty of "services" now available at taxpayer expense.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:45 AM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I often think of moving away from Atlanta but most of the places I would move to are far away and right now, I don’t have enough money to visit.

Places like Denver, portland Oregon, maybe Phoenix Arizona and some others. I just want to know would it be a bad idea to move somewhere I have never visited . For the people that have done that, did you regret moving there ? I don’t know anyone in any of those cities either
I would not move to Portland unless you enjoy looking at the filth of homelessness. Seriously it is out of hand and disgusting. But the suburbs aren't too bad.

Honestly I have done that. I moved from PA to Seattle with my now ex. Seemed a good idea at the time and actually I am glad I did it.

Portland is getting pretty expensive so you will need some money. Many apartments have low security deposits. I have not ever had to pay first and last and a deposit. If you are adventurous then go for it. Also check out you tube video's on the various places you are interested in. Watch a bunch they can give you a feel for the area.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:39 AM

9 posts, read 10,093 times
I would definitely want to visit a place before I moved there. Even with as much information as you can get on the internet about a city and what it's like, there's no comparison to actually pounding the pavement and seeing it with your own eyes. With that said, you can still do things like "Google walk" a neighborhood with Google maps, check out visitor/tourist websites to see what events they have and get somewhat of a general feel of what it's like. My concern would be envisioning what it's like to live somewhere and then getting disappointed when it's not what you expect. I know I've moved in the past to try to get out of a rut in life, only to have the same problems in a different place when I got there. If you really feel the pull though, it may be worth a shot as long as you can ensure that you've got a job and a place to live worked out.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:02 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Read about the place first, get a feel for what is being said about the place you want to move to.

If you read/hear often repeated negative-comments, they probably have at least a grain of truth.

I read-up on how Spokane was fairly dirty, trashy and containing a lot of very shifty people before I moved there..............turned out to be totally true.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:12 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
I want to move AWAY from harsh long winters and TOWARDS mountains (CO Springs area)
To me, that makes no sense. I moved to CO, and found harsh long winters. Maybe they'd be less harsh from where you are currently, but it wouldn't be a true cure/fix. If you really don't like winter, avoid CO like the plague.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:42 PM

334 posts, read 520,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
To me, that makes no sense. I moved to CO, and found harsh long winters. Maybe they'd be less harsh from where you are currently, but it wouldn't be a true cure/fix. If you really don't like winter, avoid CO like the plague.
I live in central MN, the winters should be far less harsh. CO is a compromise anyway, I wanted Tuscon or somewhere with no winter but SWMBO wants 4 seasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues