U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:56 AM

886 posts, read 1,379,206 times

Advertisements

I often think of moving away from Atlanta but most of the places I would move to are far away and right now, I don’t have enough money to visit.

Places like Denver, portland Oregon, maybe Phoenix Arizona and some others. I just want to know would it be a bad idea to move somewhere I have never visited . For the people that have done that, did you regret moving there ? I don’t know anyone in any of those cities either
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:18 AM

31,538 posts, read 70,593,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I often think of moving away from...
Never move AWAY from... always move TOWARD something.
Quote:
...the people that have done that (successfully) ...
Had a solid job offer before they left and/or some useful skill NEEDED in the new location.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM

179 posts, read 76,120 times
We moved away from CA and to ID just a couple of months ago. We bought a house here without actually seeing it thanks to the excellent efforts of our realtor who showed us videos.

With all the information on the web now, including right here on city-data, you can get a really good feel for a place without having to visit. You can check crime, weather, traffic, trends, demographics, etc. from afar. Our realtor was also helpful in identifying neighborhoods where we would fit in and get good value for our money. We went on google maps to see the neighborhood and also check out local stores and restaurants. We even read the CC&Rs of our HOA by getting them off the web. It's a connected world now and there's a wealth of information at your fingertips. Good luck with your decision.

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

404 posts, read 355,952 times
All excellent points ^^^^. In addition to Bruceski44's suggestions, may I recommend also the US Census Bureau's data sources and Google Earth? My brother was recently interested in a property, but, after taking a "walk" down the street using GE "street view" he felt that the place wasn't as attractive as it first appeared. Be forewarned, however, most of these data sources (including City-Data) require some (may be CONSIDERABLE) effort to learn how to get the utmost from the website. And, nothing beats "boots on the ground." You can walk down the street on Google Earth, but, you won't get the sounds, smells, etc., that a walk will give you!

Oh, and before I forget--if one is interested in buying a house, you can go to realtor.com or Zillow. Trulia also has listings that you can manipulate AND you can find a bunch of pictures from previous "listings."

Here is a similar "thread" https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...-visiting.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1mF-Zj889E

https://earth.google.com/web/@32.646...d,35y,0h,0t,0r

Last edited by bound2TN; Yesterday at 09:32 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

3,109 posts, read 1,331,269 times
I interviewed for a job with the state of Nevada 24 years ago and had never been there. Got hired and moved. Still here as I love it.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

9,936 posts, read 12,538,561 times
Sometimes one's job will take them to another city, but usually includes a visitation package. While many consider a post-retirement move, it seems pretty risky to simply move to a new city, without a clear plan in place --- including a place to live (or, if still working, a job).

If you don't have enough money to even visit, one wonders how you will pay for your move and get settled in the new location, which will involve much more cost than a visit. As another poster suggested, it sounds like you are running AWAY from something, rather than TOWARDS something better.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

5,727 posts, read 4,093,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I often think of moving away from Atlanta but most of the places I would move to are far away and right now, I don’t have enough money to visit.

Places like Denver, portland Oregon, maybe Phoenix Arizona and some others. I just want to know would it be a bad idea to move somewhere I have never visited . For the people that have done that, did you regret moving there ? I don’t know anyone in any of those cities either
If you don't have money to visit another area, how would you move?

Are you working now?

As you can see above, most moved for job reasons, as I've done. No one moves without money and/or a good job.

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

886 posts, read 1,379,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
If you don't have money to visit another area, how would you move?

Are you working now?

As you can see above, most moved for job reasons, as I've done. No one moves without money and/or a good job.

Yeah I’m working now. I guess I need to consider staying here for a while until I can get a good job offer to move . I don’t have any “real” skills that would set me apart though

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

1,177 posts, read 573,443 times
Did that back in 2012, but I had a job offer. Moved from the Tampa Bay area to the Quad Cities (IA/IL); I wasn't even targeting that area. I was in a tough spot and needed a new job ASAP; I got the offer and packed up whatever could fit in my car and headed north. Fortunately, I had enough money for a hotel-stay while apartment-hunting and the initial rent + deposit(s) once I found a place. I was lucky - the job and the location ended up being great for a couple of years. I left in 2014 for a better job offer in a different area.

You really, really want to have some type of job/income lined up before doing such a thing, unless you have many MONTHS of expenses saved up.

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

13,416 posts, read 6,874,626 times
Don't think I ever just decided to move to a place I knew nothing about and hope to find work before the $ ran out. Simply dumb IMHO. Desperation can force you into serious lapses in judgement. I have moved a lot during my career and did move to places I'd never visited, but I always had a job offer and was honest with myself about how any job played into my overall career plan. You can be sure I checked the places out as much as possible before deciding on the offer. Usually, I searched for jobs in regions I already had an interest in. Then I made it work for a while even if what I found there wasn't perfect. There was usually a trade off...either the job would provide valuable experience, skills training, a stepping stone to better opportunities, or the place itself was worth a less-than-perfect job. Every place will have its good and bad aspects. Expecting perfection will be an exercise in frustration and drain your bank account.

Before the web existed (the majority of moves I made pre-dated the web) I would hit the library and look at maps, check out climate, geography, research the town/city, what attractions and lifestyles, etc. I'd ask the potential employer about COL, services, amenities and recreation, the rental market or real estate market, and ask to talk with other employees living there. With the web these days it is amazing how much information you can dig up on pretty much any location. There simply isn't a good excuse for not educating yourself before jumping into a river up to your neck.

Save up your money before you do anything OP. Nothing wrong with having a cushion even if you don't end up needing it.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues