U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2021, 08:42 PM

32,725 posts, read 51,480,713 times

Advertisements

We are selling our home in Tx and moving to our FL house full time.
We won’t take much furniture but my husband wants to take his office furniture... very heavy with carving on the wood, and custom glass tops I had made. A couple of other chests. Some dishes and framed photos...
It just seems a real mismatched type of load that needs to be packed really carefully to have it delivered w/o breakage...
What would be best way to avoid having damage?
Are any pod companies better than others for safe trips?
The last time we moved it was just 3 miles and we were in no rush. Took trips ourselves w/lot of breakable stuff and had firemen movers take heavy things...and they were great...but again short distance...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 06:58 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,023,832 times
If you have expensive furniture that can be easily damaged, I don’t know that I’d recommend using any of the POD/U-Pack type services. In my experience, they do not handle those things with care. They know any damage caused in transport will be blamed on your packing skills, so they just haul tail not worrying about your things.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:48 AM

4,572 posts, read 13,588,968 times
One advantage of UNITS (and there are franchises in certain city markets in TX and FL) is that the container is never tipped which occurs with other containers when loaded or unloaded onto a flatbed. That's when load shifts happen no matter how well the container's contents are packed. In a previous move we had used a container from United, and although it was packed well and with care, the load did shift because of tipping. In our last move we used UNITS. When we opened it at our new house, not one thing had shifted. No damage to furniture and boxes at all. To prevent any jostling because of bumpy roads we had used sheets of plywood every 4' or so held vertically with straps attached to the sides of the container.

On each end, in TX and FL, you can hire "helping hands" to load and unload. Provide furniture pads and blankets so that the furniture pieces and glass are well-protected.

Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

32,725 posts, read 51,480,713 times
FWIW
We decided to get movers to do this vs pack a pod
Many intrastate movers won’t take small loads
North American just requires min of 200 lbs which won’t be problem with heavy wood office furniture
My husband called office in Irving
Guy came out Thursday, looked at the stuff, gave bid
And was able to book the pack/ move the weekend we wanted
Hope all else goes as easily
Paid for 100% coverage for damage...no deductible...

Old Today, 05:35 AM

4,572 posts, read 13,588,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
FWIW
We decided to get movers to do this vs pack a pod
Many intrastate movers won’t take small loads
North American just requires min of 200 lbs which won’t be problem with heavy wood office furniture
My husband called office in Irving
Guy came out Thursday, looked at the stuff, gave bid
And was able to book the pack/ move the weekend we wanted
Hope all else goes as easily
Paid for 100% coverage for damage...no deductible...
Thank you for coming back! Not all OPs let us know an outcome. An early welcome to Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues