U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 09:58 PM

15,459 posts, read 49,652,025 times

Advertisements

In general, almost 30 years ago the last time I did something like this, stay at hotel/motel outside the major urban areas. Usually these are easy to reach from the highway, and have larger parking lots where you can avoid having to back up. Frequently these would allow me to park in a highly visible spot where thieves were less likely to bother the rig.

Now you can research things online ahead of time. 30 years ago I just played it by ear, drove through the last major city of the day's drive, then started to look.

I was driving a U-Haul large truck towing an Audi 4000 on a car dolly. I didn't find it underpowered, although this was several generations ago in terms of trucks.

Good luck, this should not be a difficult thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 07:53 AM

8,160 posts, read 6,546,761 times
We did the same thing (moved cross-country with a towed vehicle) and we just parked in the lot at the hotel. Just ask them where you can park it. They are used to people moving cross country, it happens literally everyday. We stayed at the super cheap chain hotels because they were pet friendly and usually have a big parking lot. Buy the best lock that you can buy for the truck box and keep it locked at all times. Don't store anything of value in the car or truck cab when you are away from the truck. Don't sight-see, this is something to just get done with. Leaving the truck unattended while you dilly-dally is a good way to get it stolen, or broken into.

Bed and Breakfast places usually don't have adequate parking for large vehicles or trailers. That's not their clientele, and they are often in older, even Victorian era, neighborhoods with narrower streets and tighter corners.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:40 AM

3,452 posts, read 1,280,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueson View Post
I am moving from Nevada to Florida and doing the move myself with a rented 16ft penske and will use their car carrier to tow my compact car. I am giving myself 8 days to make the trip.

What would be the best type of place to stay in my situation? Hotel/motel/airbnb. Some concerns would be ease of parking and theft. Is it better to stay in residential airbnbs to avoid attracting possible break - ins?
Or would it be better to stay at hotels where there is security and video?

Because I have 8 days to make the trip, I am hoping to be able to stop along the way and maybe explore 1 or 2 places along the way. I have no clue how to get the car on and off the car carrier. The sales guy at penske told me they will show me on the day I pick up the truck. Would it be easy to take the car off the carrier for short day trips along the way , or would it not be worth the hassle and I should just go from point A to B without stopping?

I've read that these trucks are underpowered and will be tough to drive up hills and whatnot. How hard is this trip going to be?
Sounds like a "fun" adventure. LOL!

Let's see now...

1. Don't bother with "side trips" in your car, as once you put it on the dolly, it's a pain to take-it-off/put-it-back-on, over and over.

2. DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT AT BACKING UP.

3. Plan on 8mpg with the U-haul. Budget your fueling costs, based on this.

4. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS look for a spot where you can "pull thru" when parking. (See #2 above.)

5. You might want to take a good look at what you're putting in the truck. Is it worth the $1000 it's going to cost you in fuel? Versus selling it in Nevada, and buying in Floriduh.

This trip, via Google maps, is 2700 miles (Center to Center.). That's 338 gallons of gas. The current pricing for gas, in PAD 5 is going up, rapidly. You'll find the cheapest fuel along the Texas/Oklahoma border. You might seek out truck stops for fuel, and rest. They accommodate vehicles with trailers.

Pilot
Love's
TA
Are all truck stops.

If you're taking the "40" then TA has stops all along that freeway to Floriduh. Locations, such as Oklahoma City have full service amenities. (Showers/laundry, food & other stuff.) Actually, lots of truck stops do. I randomly picked this. Good luck, and check your tires everyday. (Hey, I'm an old trucker, OK?) LOL!

Old 04-18-2021, 12:28 PM

5,661 posts, read 5,000,262 times
Norty said pretty much everything.

You're not sightseeing, you're moving. Choose hotels that have truck parking. Don't rely on hotel websites to verify this - call the specific hotel (not the main hotel chain line! I got burned this way) and tell them what you'll be hauling. Also check there is food within walking distance and gas nearby. Gas up before you hit the hotel, not first thing in the morning.

Do not even think of removing your car from the trailer. It's a pain to get the car on and trust me, you only want to do it once.

Check your chains every time you stop. Check your tires every time you stop (our trailer had one wheel that would lose air). Mark gas stops and rest areas along your route. Bring shelf stable snacks.

Good luck

Old 04-18-2021, 12:32 PM

8 posts, read 2,151 times
Years ago I rented a 26' U-haul plus a car trailer and moved from Ohio to an hour and a half north of Seattle, WA. With I might add, 4 dogs. Three Rhodesian Ridgebacks and one Weimaraner. I had AAA at the time and used their Trip Planner and I called ahead to make sure the Hotels would allow for Pet/s. I also made clear to the hotels that I would have 4 large dogs with me on my voyage. I did not want any surprises so I wanted to find before I even left Ohio or booked that particular hotel that they would indeed allow for my dogs. I did not have one single problem on my trip regarding lodging, can't say that for U-Haul though. I think you are overthinking the trip. Most of the Hotels if not all were within a mile from the Interstate which I just came off of and often times on the outskirts of town. Nobody had messed with the Truck Rental or my car on the trailer. I had a large padlock on the trailer that I bought at Wally World.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,769 posts, read 46,204,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueson View Post
I am moving from Nevada to Florida and doing the move myself with a rented 16ft penske and will use their car carrier to tow my compact car. I am giving myself 8 days to make the trip.

What would be the best type of place to stay in my situation? Hotel/motel/airbnb. ... security and video?

Because I have 8 days to make the trip, I am hoping to be able to stop along the way and maybe explore 1 or 2 places along the way. I have no clue how to get the car on and off the car carrier. The sales guy at penske told me they will show me on the day I pick up the truck. Would it be easy to take the car off the carrier for short day trips along the way , or would it not be worth the hassle and I should just go from point A to B without stopping?

I've read that these trucks are underpowered and will be tough to drive up hills and whatnot. How hard is this trip going to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Sounds like a "fun" adventure. LOL!

Let's see now...

1. Don't bother with "side trips" in your car, as once you put it on the dolly, it's a pain to take-it-off/put-it-back-on, over and over.

2. DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT AT BACKING UP.

3. Plan on 8mpg with the U-haul. Budget your fueling costs, based on this.

4. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS look for a spot where you can "pull thru" when parking. (See #2 above.)

5. You might want to take a good look at what you're putting in the truck. Is it worth the $1000 it's going to cost you in fuel? Versus selling it in Nevada, and buying in Floriduh.

This trip, via Google maps, is 2700 miles (Center to Center.). That's 338 gallons of gas. The current pricing for gas, in PAD 5 is going up, rapidly. You'll find the cheapest fuel along the Texas/Oklahoma border. You might seek out truck stops for fuel, and rest. They accommodate vehicles with trailers.

Pilot
Love's
TA
Are all truck stops.

If you're taking the "40" then TA has stops all along that freeway to Floriduh. Locations, such as Oklahoma City have full service amenities. (Showers/laundry, food & other stuff.) Actually, lots of truck stops do. I randomly picked this. Good luck, and check your tires everyday. (Hey, I'm an old trucker, OK?) LOL!
I too am a truckdriver, past and present, and several times have driven x-c rental trucks (towing cars) for friends.

I typically do your trip in 3-4 days, and often spend the night in the truck cab to avoid theft. (I nap during the day, as I prefer to drive at night when it is cooler and less traffic)

Agree... but see (*) below
1) Don't remove a secured vehicle on carrier, too big of risk for securing in the next load-up
2) Plan stops so you don't have to back up. (Possible, (but risky) with a trailer, nearly impossible with a dolly)
3) Plan a seperate trip for exploring, or find a secure place to leave rig (with a farmer!) and rent a car.
4) Yes, check tires and bearings at every stop (Buy a $20 IR temp gun and check all vulnerable areas) Tires will be 10-50F difference in temp (HOT) when underinflated.

A) How much stuff are you bringing? 16ft truck is dinky and might be a GAS (ick) cube van = 8mpg, underpowered, light suspension, wimpy truck, way too wimpy when towing. you MUST properly balance the weight of the load.
B) How big is your 'compact' car?... (I would rent a 24-28' REAL Penske (With DT 466 engine = 10 - 12 mpg Diesel) and put the car in the truck!, no trailer, but you need to find a loading dock on each end of trip). May actually be cheaper to rent the bigger truck.

C) Consider shipping / flying, or driving car and shipping stuff. Quite inexpensive if using pods or cargo shippers. Also get a quote via Uship or similar.

BTW... I will NOT drive a uHaul or Budget rental truck, as they are too wimpy / soft suspention, underpowered, under braked. I ONLY will drive a Penske (DT-466) X-C. They are a 38k rated 'real' truck, not a 25k GVW 'pretend' truck. I always verify and inspect the truck at dealer a few days BEFORE rental, as dealers like to 'dispose' of their least favorite trucks, and I don't want to be stuck with their lemons.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-18-2021 at 01:43 PM..

Old 04-18-2021, 03:37 PM

193 posts, read 36,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I've never done this type of trip with a big truck, however I've done several cross country trips that require quick overnight stays.

My recommendation would be to stay in motels, right off the highway. My experience is that name brand (i.e hilton or marriott's lower level brands) are the best and provide the most security. I usually read online reviews and use google street view to check out whats around the area. You'll find that many that are right off the highway have folks checking in and out 24 hours a day and are generally fairly safe.

In respect to the car ... I would highly not recommend loading and unloading. Seems like more trouble than its worth. Thats just me.

In respect to power, you're going from NV->FL, you'll be heading downhill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
Look for motels that cater to the trucking trade. They have those looooong parking spaces. They are (probably) fairly safe because truckers come and go all day and night, and those parking lots are lit up. They are not very fancy, of course. I stayed in many such because they tend to be the ones which allow dogs. Tip: research reviews before you book. Sometimes one Super 8 is a noisy dirty hole frequented by lowlifes and the one two exits down the freeway is the nice clean one.

I second these two posts. I'll give a thumbs up to Red Roof Inns. I've stayed in a bunch of them because I travel with my dog, and not had a bad one. I can't say the same for Super 8s.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:00 PM

13,355 posts, read 8,668,939 times
Not AirBNBs. Most lower cost Hiltons (Hampton Inn) and Marriotts (Fairfield) as well as Holiday Inn Express have fairly large parking areas and surveillance (doesn't mean you can't get broken into)

I cant answer the rest of your question. Never drove a Penske towing a car

Old 04-18-2021, 08:46 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,598,925 times
I drive cross-country a couple times a year and usually stay at La Quinta's on the highway because they're dog-friendly. You don't often see full-size 18-wheelers in the parking lot - they go to truck stops and/or sleep in the cab - but t's common to see trucks with big trailers hauling drilling equipment or construction gear. Sometimes they're staying in the area temporarily for a job; sometimes they're passing through. They park on the edge of the lot in an empty area and take up as many spaces as necessary so they don't have to back out. I think the parking lots for highway hotels are built large to accommodate this kind of traffic. I've never had trouble finding a parking space even when the hotel is busy and there are a lot of trucks.

Agree with everyone else that this is not the time for sight-seeing. Stay on the highway.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:53 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,598,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
BTW... I will NOT drive a uHaul or Budget rental truck, as they are too wimpy / soft suspention, underpowered, under braked.
I was rear-ended by a small uHaul truck many years ago. It was raining, the road was slippery, and he slid into me at very low speed. I hardly felt the impact. My ancient minivan had no visible damage, but the uHaul truck was trashed! The front bumper fell off; the radiator was cracked and steaming. I was shocked at the extent of the damage.

I felt terrible for the guy driving the truck. The police had to be called and he had an outstanding warrant for some trivial thing. He knew he was going to be arrested and the truck impounded with all his belongings. Probably one of his worst days ever, all because his uHaul had bald tires. I still think about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues