U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 12:34 AM

10,774 posts, read 6,606,464 times

Advertisements

The OP's planned venture reminds me of my own recent experience, in the reverse direction. To add or clarify what's already been written:

1. 10 mpg is typical (8 mpg is pessimistic, unless you attempt to maintain 65 mph uphill).

2. With a fully laden truck towing a car-trailer, these Penske 16-footers are indeed underpowered. Not dangerously so, but certainly unpleasant.

3. Because they take gasoline and not diesel, the conveniences of truck-stops don't necessarily apply. You'll find yourself pulling up to conventional fuel-islands, abreast of regular sedans and SUVs. This isn't necessarily a problem, but be wary of pulling out... namely the required clearance to turn.

4. The above notwithstanding, that trailer cuts a pretty steep angle when turning.. your actual turning radius is tighter than you might think.

5. Midgrade motor-hotel type of places, such as Hampton Inn, will be duly accommodating for parking. They'll let you park across the requisite number of spaces. At least that was the case a few months ago, when the pandemic was more intense and travel-volume was lower. Of course, avoid city-centers.

6. Cabin-noise in these vehicles is oppressive. That will make you more tired, than comparable distance in a sedan.

7. Upon arrival, try to first deposit your car, before doing anything else. Then return the trailer at the drop-off point. Only then return to your destination and unload the truck. That sequence will be easier to maneuver in-town, and to unload the truck's contents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 10:39 AM

18,290 posts, read 23,703,754 times
Stay at chain motels off the highway. You can take up several spaces but not the prime ones. Make sure you have a lock for back of the truck and leave nothing in site.

I would not be taking the car off the trailer. Way too much of a hassle. It won't take you 8 days to get from NV to FL. More than likely about 4/5

Old 04-20-2021, 02:00 PM

4,229 posts, read 2,518,284 times
Just stay in a Motel 6, LaQuinta etc. Use an online hotel site and set it up.

One think you really, really need is a Chocklock - sold on Amazon.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:56 PM

19 posts, read 15,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We did the same thing (moved cross-country with a towed vehicle) and we just parked in the lot at the hotel. Just ask them where you can park it. They are used to people moving cross country, it happens literally everyday. We stayed at the super cheap chain hotels because they were pet friendly and usually have a big parking lot. Buy the best lock that you can buy for the truck box and keep it locked at all times. Don't store anything of value in the car or truck cab when you are away from the truck. Don't sight-see, this is something to just get done with. Leaving the truck unattended while you dilly-dally is a good way to get it stolen, or broken into.

Bed and Breakfast places usually don't have adequate parking for large vehicles or trailers. That's not their clientele, and they are often in older, even Victorian era, neighborhoods with narrower streets and tighter corners.
What type of lock did you use for the rear door? Did you also use one for the car carrier? I was told to go for a circular disc lock but none of them seem to fit according to reviews.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:30 PM

2,035 posts, read 663,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueson View Post
I am moving from Nevada to Florida and doing the move myself with a rented 16ft penske and will use their car carrier to tow my compact car. I am giving myself 8 days to make the trip.

What would be the best type of place to stay in my situation? Hotel/motel/airbnb. Some concerns would be ease of parking and theft. Is it better to stay in residential airbnbs to avoid attracting possible break - ins?
Or would it be better to stay at hotels where there is security and video?

Because I have 8 days to make the trip, I am hoping to be able to stop along the way and maybe explore 1 or 2 places along the way. I have no clue how to get the car on and off the car carrier. The sales guy at penske told me they will show me on the day I pick up the truck. Would it be easy to take the car off the carrier for short day trips along the way , or would it not be worth the hassle and I should just go from point A to B without stopping?

I've read that these trucks are underpowered and will be tough to drive up hills and whatnot. How hard is this trip going to be?

I just stayed in hotels with low crime, far away from large urban cities. I just drove I-80 from California to Tennessee. I stayed in Battle Mountain, NV then in Laramie, WY. I used my iPhone crime app. ‘Crime and Place” to find those safe rural hotels. Not available for android.

You will be taking I-40 or I-10. I think too many people look where to stay in cities but that is where the crime typically is. Think “between cities”. Go rural. There is generally far less crime, but a good crime app is helpful at confirming how safe your particular hotel is.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
How do I park in say a hotel parking lot? Would I have to unhook the transports or just leave it on and take up multiple spots? Trying to picture in my head how much space it would take . Wouldn't I be blocking the lanes between rows of parking?
I have seen long rigs take up multiple spots in rural hotels, like a 4-door dually with horse carrier trailer. That would probably be frowned upon in a big city.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:38 PM

OP - You are smart to rent a Penske rig. Very smart. U-Haul sucks.

Old Yesterday, 05:15 AM

41,897 posts, read 52,012,748 times
I can’t add much, except if you stick with the same hotel chain all through the trip, you can probably get a couple of free nights. Choice Hotels and Best Western have frequent deals going. It will help defray your fuel cost.

I agree with others that you should skip the sightseeing.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Quote:
How do I park in say a hotel parking lot? Would I have to unhook the transports or just leave it on and take up multiple spots? Trying to picture in my head how much space it would take . Wouldn't I be blocking the lanes between rows of parking?
Ive made two cross country moves in the last 18 months.

I use a hotel booking site - get the address of a hotel that interests you and pull it up on Google maps - satellite view to see if there is adequate truck parking.

Also READ THE REVIEWS and many comment on Uhaul parking.

We did not have an issue with parking as I covered it before I made the hotel reservation.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
OP - You are smart to rent a Penske rig. Very smart. U-Haul sucks.
We used Uhaul twice in 18 months and never had an issue either trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues