U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

4,229 posts, read 2,518,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueson View Post
I am moving from Nevada to Florida and doing the move myself with a rented 16ft penske and will use their car carrier to tow my compact car. I am giving myself 8 days to make the trip.

What would be the best type of place to stay in my situation? Hotel/motel/airbnb. Some concerns would be ease of parking and theft. Is it better to stay in residential airbnbs to avoid attracting possible break - ins?
Or would it be better to stay at hotels where there is security and video?

Because I have 8 days to make the trip, I am hoping to be able to stop along the way and maybe explore 1 or 2 places along the way. I have no clue how to get the car on and off the car carrier. The sales guy at penske told me they will show me on the day I pick up the truck. Would it be easy to take the car off the carrier for short day trips along the way , or would it not be worth the hassle and I should just go from point A to B without stopping?

I've read that these trucks are underpowered and will be tough to drive up hills and whatnot. How hard is this trip going to be?
EIGHT days!! Trip should take five days max. Is the government paying for your trip? I made one PCS back to TX (from WA) and only drove 8 hours a day so I could receive full perdiem. So I get using the time to maximise your travel benefit. Spend the time stopping for lunch, dinner when you can see the truck.

Avoid the sightseeing. Treat this move as a job. Pack, drive, arrive. You do not want to leave your truck/car for sightseeing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:42 PM

2,035 posts, read 663,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
We used Uhaul twice in 18 months and never had an issue either trip.
A lot of kids have sex and don’t get pregnant.

My point is, U-Haul is the worst. It doesn’t mean their failure rate is 99%. If U-Haul has a 2% failure rate it means 98% of people don’t ever have a problem, but thousands of people still do, from the rental not being available, to a mechanical failure en route.

If Penske has. 0.1% failure rate, I almost completely eliminate that risk.

Somebody has to be that 2%, or whatever the actual number is. I don’t want to be one of that 2%.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues