U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM

3,300 posts, read 4,514,924 times

Advertisements

Decades ago LA television interviewed Mr. Black, the fashion consultant and TV personality. He was selling his Beverly Hills home and moving to a Penthouse condo of some kind. The interviewer asked him if he would miss his outdoor statuary and other landscaping pieces, and some large art inside pieces that just wouldn't fit in his new place. His answer has always stuck with me: "I don't really own these things; they just visit with me awhile and then add joy to someone else's place"!! My Japanese friends who don't have space to load up with "stuff" say: "If we don't use it in eight months we sell or donate" I will NOT be an "old man's garage" like dad. I just got rid of tools and have ONE useful new tool of each type I use a lot. Then again, I owned a moving company and had many repeat customers. Three years later we'd be moving their same "stuff" still in the boxes we'd packed six years before. Not this cowboy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM

537 posts, read 426,604 times
I’m moving into a newly built home across the country next week. My husband and I had already put our move into motion when he died of sudden cardiac arrest while on a morning run in February. We started building in early October and didn’t know when the house would be ready, so, while he worked, I began getting rid of things and packing early so we’d be ready when the time came.

Although I either gave away or discarded quite a bit, I’m sure I saved more than I needed. I took pictures of and discarded some mementos, but kept most. I expect I’ll be going through them again after I’m settled in at some point.

I told my hubby that he had more shirts than any guy I’ve known. Most of his polo/golf shirts were used as packing material, and I was not about to deal with unpacking and repacking boxes after he passed away, so those are coming with me to Arizona.

Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM

537 posts, read 426,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Decades ago LA television interviewed Mr. Black, the fashion consultant and TV personality. He was selling his Beverly Hills home and moving to a Penthouse condo of some kind. The interviewer asked him if he would miss his outdoor statuary and other landscaping pieces, and some large art inside pieces that just wouldn't fit in his new place. His answer has always stuck with me: "I don't really own these things; they just visit with me awhile and then add joy to someone else's place"!! My Japanese friends who don't have space to load up with "stuff" say: "If we don't use it in eight months we sell or donate" I will NOT be an "old man's garage" like dad. I just got rid of tools and have ONE useful new tool of each type I use a lot. Then again, I owned a moving company and had many repeat customers. Three years later we'd be moving their same "stuff" still in the boxes we'd packed six years before. Not this cowboy.
I like that perspective.

Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,210,659 times
For items that belong to family members (which you've been storing for them), I'd just ask them if they want the items and arrange to get those items to them. They know you are moving and it's not unreasonable for you to want to take only what you really need and not have to deal with alot of 'stuff.'

We have places here called "Re-Store" where usable items in good condition can be left as donations and will find other homes. That might work for some things.

Here in my neck of the woods, people also just leave "free" stuff in front of the house (I'm still not sure how I feel about this...some stuff is junk, some might be treasure, you know how that goes)....but we've gotten rid of unwanted things that way, too.

I LOVE to get rid of stuff and try to do a purge at least once a year. It IS a freeing feeling. Keep what you know you'll use or love. If you have questionable items that you are just not sure you can part with, and it isn't half the house , put them in bins/boxes, take them with you, but don't open them. If you haven't missed or touched them in 6 months, out they go.

My husband is the one who has junk laying everywhere and he gets VERY touchy when I suggest that he either get rid of or at least box up stuff so it isn't just sitting around cluttering up my field of vision!! For two people with one dog, we have way too much stuff. WAY.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

17,106 posts, read 22,340,522 times
Kathryn, we've crossed paths before on CD. I was unaware of your situation. Please accept my condolences on your loss.

We moved cross country and downsized dramatically. 70% of the furniture was sold to the buyers of our home, including TV's, surround system, comforters, art work, on and on and one. I sold most of the other furniture, donated tons of stuff. And yes, it felt great.

But the personal stuff, the sentimental items, I looked very simply: If the entire house was destroyed in a fire, what would I be heartbroken to lose. Those I kept.

It was hard. But it gave me the opportunity to revisit those items that were physical representations of experiences and people who were important to me. I enjoyed revisiting them. Then realized that it's not the physical items that I treasured. My memories were what I treasured. And he truly important ones remain intact and clear in my thoughts, and are unlikely to go away.

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

18,102 posts, read 23,548,913 times
Anything that hasn't been touched in 6 months. I do a spring/fall cleaning of the same kind every year

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

10,837 posts, read 5,991,015 times
I regularly read and hear about people who sell EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING, in order to buy an RV and travel full-time... I can't imagine! Not only would I need to keep a sticks-and-bricks house in case I need it, I would need to keep my family furniture and beloved library of books, among other things. I'm working mightily to declutter and downsize, especially as I retire this summer, but I will always need a house -- although I may sell this one and buy another elsewhere -- and also "need" to keep my (meaningful) stuff...

Last edited by otterhere; Yesterday at 12:55 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

4,207 posts, read 2,488,716 times
My goal is to be like my deceased mother. If I'm left a widow I would most likely have an estate sale company come in and sell most of my possessions. And I would keep special items.

Then I'd move to an apartment or a condo.

Mother's possessions filled a box. Took it to her favorite resale store - they benefit abused womens and kids.

#goals

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

11,524 posts, read 10,372,923 times
Ugh. I'm an inch away from being a horder.

I would like to start with my library and get rid of about 600 books.

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

8,927 posts, read 14,366,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
It's a wonderful feeling to "shed" all those accumulated items! I've done it several times over the years - mostly when we've moved - and I haven't missed a thing. I have one large plastic box for each of my kids with special cards and pictures that they made when they were young (they're in their thirties now.) I had boxes of photos from when my siblings and I were kids and also from when our parents were kids. I sorted through them and gave a box to each of my siblings - wonderful!

My kids have been urging me to scan the photos from when they were kids and put them on flash drives. I'll get around to that someday or they'll do it when we're gone.

You can do it KA! Take photos with your phone of mementos that you really don't want in your new home. I have gifts from girlfriends that meant a lot to me because of the women who gave them to me but not so much the actual items. They're on my phone now and I can look through them anytime I want and I don't have to dust them ; )
rfomd, if you're going to wait a while to scan the pictures, at least try to sit down and write on the back everybody that's in the picture, where it was, and when. We moved in my parents house after my mother died and my dad moved to assisted living. My mother worked for the local newspaper for 30+ years and had a camera within reach at all times. While cleaning things out, we found boxes on top of boxes on top of bags of pictures, but we have no idea who some of them are. We recognize the faces and know they're family, but can't put names with the faces. We'd show some of them to my dad, a lot from the 1950s and he would recognize one or two but most of the time he was like us, not knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues