U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 10:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 463,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Why are you throwing away items that can be donated to help people less fortunate?

Sure you are going to find things no one would want, so some should be recycled, and others be thrown in the trash.
But even old clothes, appliances, pictures, books, toys, etc., etc., etc. can be donated to worthy causes.

`
KA has given plenty to worthy causes. Sometimes there's just too much going on and it's just easier to toss something. Cut her some slack.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 01:58 AM

3,951 posts, read 1,751,895 times
To start off, donate your items instead of trashing. Go to Salvation Army or the like.

Go through your house with 3 colors of painters tape (green, blue and another color if you can get it. Tag items for donation with a pc of painting tape in one color either blue or green. Blue or green for recycling. A 3rd color for sale.
There you've done your sorting.

Next, buy a trunk. Label with your name. birth date and consider it a time capsule. Include titles and deeds, receipts for major purchases, awards, things that represent milestones in your life. Include hospital bracelets, smaller trophies. Take photos of items that just take up too much room so you have a record of them and add to a photo album for the trunk.

You might need to measure your new home to see what furniture items will fit in smaller spaces.

Thoughts for report cards etc. Make a simple photo binder as a scrapbook for each child and put in their report cards, awards, certificates, high school diploma, photos of them including school photos.
Let's say you have 3 adult children. Set up a box for each child. When you are rifling through all your kid's stuff pitch items in the boxes according to which child is featured in that item. Don't sort and scrapbook at the same time.
Don't ponder over things. Just do.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:53 AM

10,901 posts, read 6,025,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
KA has given plenty to worthy causes. Sometimes there's just too much going on and it's just easier to toss something. Cut her some slack.
It's just as "easy" to donate (throw it in a bag and drop it off when you're running errands; many places also pick up at your home) as it is to bag it up and put it in the trash, thus overtaxing the landfills with still-useful items... It also cheers you up to know you're doing a good deed for both others and the planet. Definitely one of my pet peeves!

Old 04-22-2021, 11:06 AM

4,494 posts, read 2,910,756 times
If donating was that easy, I wouldn't have 2 bags of clothes sitting in my back room. They will eventually move to the car, where they will also sit for awhile.

I get it. I put stuff on a Buy Nothing group and even that's a pain. Is it going to blow away before they get there? Will someone else take it? Oh look, it's still there 3 days later, now I have to contact them again.

Stuff wears one down after awhile.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:07 AM

32,744 posts, read 51,577,826 times
We are selling our TX house, having estate sale for most everything but my husband’s office furniture and couple of chests...one my grandfather made...and photo albums, personal stuff.
This house is too big and has too many memories of our son’s time with us.
Moving to our FL house that has everything we need so we are having an estate sale company come in at end of May, price everything we leave and either sell or donate or dispose of...

I wish we had not started off so determined to separate take or leave stuff because we are using movers and could have just let them pack

I find it interesting and I expected that my husband has more difficulty letting go of things that might have some sentimental connection but we never use, wouldn’t miss if we lost it, but he wants to hang on to it...
Like my wedding dress...definitely can’t fit into it, not something anyone would want to wear (IMO) but my mom made it for me so it is coming to FL...

Old 04-22-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
If donating was that easy, I wouldn't have 2 bags of clothes sitting in my back room. They will eventually move to the car, where they will also sit for awhile.

I get it. I put stuff on a Buy Nothing group and even that's a pain. Is it going to blow away before they get there? Will someone else take it? Oh look, it's still there 3 days later, now I have to contact them again.

Stuff wears one down after awhile.
You have compassion and sometimes life is very demanding of us.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:12 PM

10,901 posts, read 6,025,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Really? Once they're in the bag (that takes one day of decluttering), I take the bag out to the car the next time I get into it and then drop it off at the drive-thru window the next time I'm passing by Goodwill. Not that big a deal...

Last edited by otterhere; 04-22-2021 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 12:25 PM

2,052 posts, read 962,776 times
We’re staying at my aunt’s while our new house is being built. Her house is probably 3500 sq ft including the basement and two upper floors.

It’s all nicely decorated with “stuff” but boy, do I dread the day she passes. No kids of her own, only nieces, nephews and a stepson who rarely calls or visits.

A year or two, I mentioned that the bulletin from her funeral will mention the service in the church, a graveside service....and a rummage sale. She wasn’t amused. I haven’t mentioned it since. She has lived here 25+ years. Clearing it out will be a heck of a chore. A lot of us “kids” will take most of the furniture but the rest? We’ll cross that bridge in a few years.

My dad was completely different. We were fortunate to spend time together just two weeks before he passed. The old man was a rock hound and amateur gemologist. He had tons of raw rock specimens, some of which was fairly valuable to the right person. And all of his equipment including a 15” diamond blade saw.

When I asked him what to do with his “stuff”, his first reaction was, “I don’t care, I’ll be dead” but up one reflection, he wanted his friends from the rock club to take what they wanted and for us kids to be reasonable about what they paid. We left the club members come and take dozens of 5 gal buckets full of his treasure. His equipment went for a fair price also. He would have been happy that the club members were taken care of in the process.

His house? He was proud of his “little house down in the pine trees” but he knew it was unlikely his kids would retain it. We did our best to get our brother to take it but, he was in no more of a position to relocate than me.

We sold the place.

Some 11 years later (and about a month ago), it was hit by a tornado. All those trees the old man loved, gone. The house was heavily damaged but the core that he built withstood an EF4 tornado. He’d be proud of that.

Maybe I’ll take all of my stuff with me. I figure a 10’ x 20’ x 8’ grave ought to just about do it. That’s just under the amount we just moved from AZ to our new location. Lol

Old 04-22-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Decades ago LA television interviewed Mr. Black, the fashion consultant and TV personality. He was selling his Beverly Hills home and moving to a Penthouse condo of some kind. The interviewer asked him if he would miss his outdoor statuary and other landscaping pieces, and some large art inside pieces that just wouldn't fit in his new place. His answer has always stuck with me: "I don't really own these things; they just visit with me awhile and then add joy to someone else's place"!! My Japanese friends who don't have space to load up with "stuff" say: "If we don't use it in eight months we sell or donate" I will NOT be an "old man's garage" like dad. I just got rid of tools and have ONE useful new tool of each type I use a lot. Then again, I owned a moving company and had many repeat customers. Three years later we'd be moving their same "stuff" still in the boxes we'd packed six years before. Not this cowboy.
I like this idea! My husband and I both do repair stuff around the house and he has the "main" tool collection in the garage but I keep quite a few of my favorites in the kitchen where I can get to them easily. There are multiples of just about all of them. I like the idea of having one good tool of each type even though we have plenty of space for them in our house.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:36 PM

1,773 posts, read 3,468,628 times
The last time I moved was in 2015, and I got rid of over half my stuff in three massive decluttering campaigns in the months before moving. I haven't missed ONE SINGLE THING that I got rid of.

But as always, the stuff seems to slowly build up, as time passes.

I doubt I will ever move again. But if I do, my plan is to take nothing that will not fit in the back of my SUV. Nothing! I can afford to buy whatever I need at the new place, and have Amazon or furniture stores deliver it all. I am tired of having too much stuff no matter how hard I work on decluttering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues