U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 07:31 PM

3,940 posts, read 1,739,757 times

Advertisements

Ok, it seems like it would be simple enough (?) but I want to draw on your experience how you managed it or think would work well. How did you attack this?

I am moving to a new apartment possibly in the same building by myself. I'm a alone and a lady senior so not good at lifting, disassembling, or reading and concentrating.

I have an IKEA unit that stretches across the length of my living room. There are 2 sets of three cubes each. Also six single cubes with doors stacked one of top of the other. I have never moved these before.
I hired to have them assembled here in my current place.

See pictures. *embarrassed*

How would you move IKEA interlocking cabinets with you?-100_0644.jpg

How would you move IKEA interlocking cabinets with you?-100_0645.jpg

How would you move IKEA interlocking cabinets with you?-100_0646.jpg

Of course I will pack up the contents in boxes and remove the shelves. Do I need to remove the doors? Hope not.

They aren't light but quite heavy, made of MDF and glossed with lacquer.

I am most interested in how to prepare this for professional movers to come and take away without fuss.
What kind of equipment will they need for this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 09:18 PM

6,422 posts, read 10,363,010 times
Will the cabinets fit thru apartment doors without being disassembled ? If so, any "professional" movers will have no problem. They would probably use furniture dollies, or hand trucks, to move them.

If they need to be disassembled, then tell the movers so they have tools and time allotted.

Have you had a mover come to the apt to see the job, and quote you a cost ?

Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Will the cabinets fit thru apartment doors without being disassembled ? If so, any "professional" movers will have no problem. They would probably use furniture dollies, or hand trucks, to move them.

If they need to be disassembled, then tell the movers so they have tools and time allotted.

Have you had a mover come to the apt to see the job, and quote you a cost ?

Yes, they will fit through the door.
I will work at getting movers to see the job.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. I am not as anxious about things now.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

5,621 posts, read 4,944,370 times
My last move our movers told us that assembled furniture like that was not guaranteed to survive. We chose to disassemble our piece (we only had one) and wrap it with that clingy saran wrap type stuff. It survived and we reassembled. FYI, ours was a 6' x 6' tall CD case that holds hundreds of CDs.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
My last move our movers told us that assembled furniture like that was not guaranteed to survive. We chose to disassemble our piece (we only had one) and wrap it with that clingy saran wrap type stuff. It survived and we reassembled. FYI, ours was a 6' x 6' tall CD case that holds hundreds of CDs.

Ewww. Disassemble

I sure hope my movers don't ask me to do that. I am moving into different apartment in the same building as I live in now except to a one bedroom. Maybe a transfer won't present the same difficulty as being on the road in a van.

Thanks for the warning!

Old Today, 06:49 PM

20,386 posts, read 30,395,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

Same here. They were very specific about IKEA furniture and we had to sign something. We only had two chairs and didn't care but they did make it ok. Not having to go on a moving van probably makes a difference in your favor though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues