U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2021, 05:29 AM

11,975 posts, read 8,004,838 times

Advertisements

We ordered two U-Boxes to be transported from the Bay Area to Scottsdale AZ. The total was $1,807. PODS had quoted us $6,600.

We received 48 shipping blankets with the U-Boxes. The one thing I regret is not having gotten the stretch wrap to secure the blankets around objects. I used a lot of twine, which was unnecessarily time-consuming. But nothing was broken.

I have to say the U-Box experience from start to finish was handled professionally. Everything was done when and how they said it would be. No extra upcharges. We needed a couple of extra days to unload the U-Boxes. They said no problem, it's free.

We go back at the end of the month for Round 2. Now comes the hard part: Convincing my spouse (the hoarder) to get rid of much of what's left. I think a garage sale is in order. And the other hard part: Packing some glass showcases in U-Boxes. Yikes. It's gonna take lots of blankets and stretch wrap.

We will definitely use U-Boxes again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 06:15 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,869,371 times
This is quite a price discrepancy and shows why due diligence over price is in order when moving. Nice to know and thanks for the info!

Old 05-03-2021, 09:19 AM

3,189 posts, read 1,155,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
This is quite a price discrepancy and shows why due diligence over price is in order when moving. !
Wow, yes indeed! That is an amazing price discrepancy!

Old 05-03-2021, 11:37 AM

That's not just a price discrepancy, that's a no-brainer. I didn't even call any other company.

We disliked the whole PODS approach from the beginning, especially having to talk to someone to get a quote, which we couldn't get until we answered all of their questions so they could rent us more PODS. (Someone correct me if this has changed recently.) I got an online quote with U-Haul and they were faithful to the quote.

Earlier today I read about the dispute between PODS and U-Haul, where PODS ended up with a $63 million settlement from U-Haul. Hmm. One way to knock out a competitor is to undercut them on price so much they can't compete. I can't prove that's what's happening, but I wonder...

Old 05-03-2021, 11:45 AM

10,871 posts, read 19,568,917 times
Thanks for the info, OP.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:21 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,041,304 times
That stretch wrap is the best! Really makes life easier.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:32 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,526 times
There are some logical explanations. First the UBox is smaller than the smallest PODS container. Since they hold less, you often have to get multiples for a move. Second, the UBoxes number 1 complaint is water damage issues on long haul moves through areas with precipitation so there is a tendency for them to be widely available (some say a glut) especially in the west. Third, because PODS, SmartBox, 1-800-PackRat, etc. are sturdy metal containers, they are often authorized for relocations reimbursements making them scarce in some areas especially with large military, federal or corporations that pay for moves.

Now, I'm also confused on the pricing as I personally know two people who moved from San Jose with PODS and their entire moves was nowhere close to that quote. The longest was from San Jose to Tucson AZ and their finial cost was about $2,500 with tax and optional insurance. And, this was for a 16 foot container. I also have an employee is relocating east and her 16 foot PODS from Las Vegas to Alexandria VA is only $4,200. So not sure what or who you called but that quote seems way out of wack.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
There are some logical explanations. First the UBox is smaller than the smallest PODS container. Since they hold less, you often have to get multiples for a move. Second, the UBoxes number 1 complaint is water damage issues on long haul moves through areas with precipitation so there is a tendency for them to be widely available (some say a glut) especially in the west. Third, because PODS, SmartBox, 1-800-PackRat, etc. are sturdy metal containers, they are often authorized for relocations reimbursements making them scarce in some areas especially with large military, federal or corporations that pay for moves.

Now, I'm also confused on the pricing as I personally know two people who moved from San Jose with PODS and their entire moves was nowhere close to that quote. The longest was from San Jose to Tucson AZ and their finial cost was about $2,500 with tax and optional insurance. And, this was for a 16 foot container. I also have an employee is relocating east and her 16 foot PODS from Las Vegas to Alexandria VA is only $4,200. So not sure what or who you called but that quote seems way out of wack.
I'm sure others will appreciate the info. U-Boxes were perfect for us.

We have two more moves from the California house planned to coincide with medical appointments and we'll use U-Boxes again. Had I had a 16 foot (oof!) container to pack, I'd still be there, exhausted and cranky, instead of lounging in our Scottsdale home, enjoying breakfast and watching the wildlife in the back yard.

I found my notes. Turns out I was a little off with the PODS quote. Their salesdroid quoted the first container at $3,500 and the second at $3,200. Whatta deal! Maybe you should talk to them and find out why they were trying to rip us off. I wouldn't be surprised if they ran a credit check on us or looked up our address. That would actually make some sense from a company standpoint if you have to maximize the profit on a limited number of containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues