U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

5,352 posts, read 4,048,613 times

Advertisements

A Penske truck rental from Chicago to Dallas is $2000. The same truck rental on the same date from Dallas to Chicago is $550. Why is there such a huge difference when the dates and distance are the same?

Has anyone ever gamed the system and got a truck from a different city or returned to a different city to save some money?

EDIT: Just found a truck from St Louis to Dallas for $955. I can just take the Amtrak 5hr to St Louis and drive the truck back to Chicago and load up my stuff to save $1000. Seems like a no brainer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

13,890 posts, read 7,311,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
A Penske truck rental from Chicago to Dallas is $2000. The same truck rental on the same date from Dallas to Chicago is $550. Why is there such a huge difference when the dates and distance are the same?

Has anyone ever gamed the system and got a truck from a different city or returned to a different city to save some money?

EDIT: Just found a truck from St Louis to Dallas for $955. I can just take the Amtrak 5hr to St Louis and drive the truck back to Chicago and load up my stuff to save $1000. Seems like a no brainer.
One reason for the difference in rates could be because fewer people want to move TO Chicago and more people want to move AWAY from Chicago. More of their trucks end up leaving. They have to pay someone to re-balance or replenish the fleet. They're passing that cost of business on to you.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 07:12 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM

11,482 posts, read 10,295,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
One reason for the difference in rates could be because fewer people want to move TO Chicago and more people want to move AWAY from Chicago. More of their trucks end up leaving. They have to pay someone to re-balance or replenish the fleet. They're passing that cost of business on to you.
This is how it was explained to me by a Penske person. Higher rates if they have too many vehicles at the destination, lower rates if they need vehicles to go there.

Sounds like OP did find a way to game the system a bit, but at the same time, Penske got the truck where it needed to go. Win/win.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM

5,352 posts, read 4,048,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

This makes total sense. Thanks!

Old Today, 01:02 PM

18,250 posts, read 23,669,155 times
Yes, it was cheaper for me to move west than to move west.

Old Today, 01:13 PM

13,890 posts, read 7,311,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Yes, it was cheaper for me to move west than to move west.

Old Today, 01:39 PM

14,071 posts, read 10,005,634 times
They are basically paying for you to drive it back to Chicago for the next run down to Dallas.

It is dirt cheap to rent from popular to unpopular and crazy the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues