Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:45 PM

87 posts, read 255,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No, my wife and I will never like where we live now no matter what happens. The place is boring, crazy boring and full of self rightous idiots who think life is walmart and church.
I think you might be my neighbor--can't wait to get out of here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:21 PM

56 posts, read 226,678 times
Default Hmmmmm...... well we just moved out of a town which I HATED...

my husband grew up there & LOVED it... it was home. But in the last 10 yrs things have gone from good to BAD in this town annd it really started to change even his view point. We just moved a few hrs away to stay with family until we move across country.
I really tried to like the town we just left. I joined groups, got involved with my kids school & other moms, got involved with the church ect. I loved the church, loved my kids school & the other moms but I STILL hated being in that town. I literally felt as though I was just slowly drowning. Everytime I would go to visit my mom a few hrs away & stay for an extended period of tiime I found I would lose weight... just a few pounds & felt good. Id go back home & the weight would come back on. depression eating I think. I had plenty of friends & was always busy & probably no one knew just how I truely felt about the town (you don't want to be TOO vocal because it offends those who LOVE their town) but I really disliked living there. I always wanted to go home or just run away lol. No matter what I will never like that town. EVER!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yes, how much time do you think a person needs to give a new place before they decide it's just not a good fit and time to make a change?
It usually takes me about a year to get into a groove where I am happy & comfortable and feeling like I LIVE there. The town we just left...... I lived there for 10 yrs............. and NEVER liked it. In fact HATED it. And I even tried to live well. I was happy & our home was pretty & I had friends & was always busy................... but HATED HATED HATED it THERE.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
Yes, there are just places that no matter how hard you try...i think you will never be happy. For example i am from athens georgia. I moved to Florida to be closer to family i didn't know and attend school. Worst mistake of my life. Within a matter of six years I have managed to lose my dead mother's inheritance by her own sister, ...........................
Gosh this made me think about MY situation. About 10 ish yrs ago I moved from my home town to my husbands home town so he could go back to school & we could get a head start with a new baby coming in a few months...... THAT was the WORST decision EVER. Its been 10 yrs and his family has very nearly destroyed our marriage, we've dealth with financial issues & gotton back on our feet to have his family do the most AMAZING destructive things to us that ALSO hurt our children.. their grandchildren. We should have moved AWAY from family & just started over. We are planning ANOTHER move across the country this time....... FAR FAR away from his family who after nearly destroying us...... is no longer speaking to us.... whcih is a BLESSING but ironic. Anyway... we very well may lose everything and have to start over from nothing........ but at least there is some freedom to that. NO ONE has ANY ties to us or can say we owe them time or help or anything.
Anyway........ starting over can be tough... but there is some freedom to it I think........... good luck & I hope you are able to get back to where things are NORMAL!
It IS amazing just how POISONESS family can be!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:33 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
I don't know if any of you have understood the Five Stage of Grief, but I went through it when I relocated. It's been a horrible move. I've moved before this and was completely happy - but for the four years here, I've been nothing short of miserable. AND I went out! And I made friends!

Anyway - I just hit "acceptance" now that I've convinced my husband to move

Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I don't know if any of you have understood the Five Stage of Grief, but I went through it when I relocated. It's been a horrible move. I've moved before this and was completely happy - but for the four years here, I've been nothing short of miserable. AND I went out! And I made friends!

Anyway - I just hit "acceptance" now that I've convinced my husband to move
Figures, right? Can you post the five stages? I think I am in one of the stages now ... lol

Old 06-13-2008, 02:42 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Figures, right? Can you post the five stages? I think I am in one of the stages now ... lol
Po' thang. I think they're something like disbelief, anger, bargaining, gin and Valium. Or something like that.

I was happy in Huntsville, enjoyed the hills we called mountains, liked the 4 seasons, was just close enough to family not to be on top of them. Then we moved here. I have given it my best shot for 16 months now, and am now (with the knowledge and help of my husband) trying to get us out of here. If being close to family (geographically, that is) is important to you, moving away will tend to be a negative experience. If you hate heat and love cooler weather, moving to the armpit of the world will be a problem. A certain percentage of it truly is attitude, but not all. I admire people who can be positively thrilled to be anywhere, but am not one of them.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:59 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I think some places just aren't a good fit for certain people. This whole "happiness is within" is true to a degree, but positive and sunny side of the street thoughts do not change that sometimes "it is what it is."

I lived in many places when I was in the military. I moved around quite alot and adjusted. I moved to my current state from Texas and although I've given it 3 years, it isn't clicking. I was very happy in Texas, had great friends and a great place to live, but after I finished my graduate degree, the better paying jobs just weren't there, so I left for greener career pastures. My move was great for my career but miserable in every other way and people cannot simply live for work. Sometimes things just don't click, regardless of your efforts. My escape plan keeps me motivated and I'll be out of this bad fit place soon.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:01 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I don't think there are just some places a person will never be happy. I think there are just some people who will never be happy in any place.

Has nothing to do with the PLACE. Has everything to do with the PERSON.
It can work both ways, and it most certainly can have alot to do with a place.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:45 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
I lived in central Florida for 29 years. I am not a warm weather person and am certainly not a hot weather person. Enough said? Sometimes our circumstance dictate to us where we have to be. I should still be there, but it was suffocating my internal needs.

I need snow in my life.
I need the brilliance of autumn leaves and cool breezes and leaf-covered streets.
I need to be able to tell how harsh the winter will be by watching cattle grow their winter coats and watching various species of birds migrating to the south.
I need to own a heavy winter coat. It's just the normal thing to own.
You don't see those things in FL. And people that have always lived in Florida can't even imagine it.

I'm back where I belong now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues