Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 04:28 PM

416 posts, read 535,224 times

Advertisements

If you move in somewhere and it doesn`t feel right, then get out before it becomes a problem. You have no idea what can happen if you move in and are not wanted there.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
The thing is, neighbors change. On both sides of us neighbors have changed twice and three times since we moved here 9 years ago.

Living some place one month is too short a time to decide you don’t like a place, IMO, unless there are major issues. If the neighborhood is mainly populated with elders, it will soon enough soon be repopulated with younger folks.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:57 PM

6,866 posts, read 4,863,645 times
Unless you want to make your neighbors your friends and hang out with them..... Why would it matter if they were quiet, old, tall, short, lamp collectors or vegans? If you aren't biased against skin color that shouldn't matter, either. If you are a loud, drunken, lout that has the Hell's Angels wanna bees over to party until dawn, then maybe it would be hard to happily fit in, when the neighbors keep calling the police.

I think most of us leave our houses to do things, or we invite the friends we had before we moved to the new place, over. If they wanted a neighbor where everything is a walkable distance, for example, it shouldn't have been hard to figure out before buying that it wasn't.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:32 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
When we listed our Colorado home, we were told that it is now illegal to even advertisea home as being in a quiet family neighborhood. (Not sure if that is just for Colorado or applies to the entire U.S.)
Why is that illegal? Quiet family neighborhoods sound good to me.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:22 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Why is that illegal? Quiet family neighborhoods sound good to me.
Because (as it was explained to me, anyway) including "family" in a description might be considered as discriminating against singles.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
They actually shopped for homes, put in a bid, got a mortgage??? I rarely talk to my neighbors, I go out with friends if I want to socialize. Most people don't care who's in the houses on their street as long at they aren't causing problems. I can't wrap my head around this. Unless there's some other major reason, like a killer commute to work or 'fun' things. Even then I can't imagine NOT KNOWING that before purchasing a house. They will loose money.

I suspect the whole story won't be found here

Old 06-30-2021, 04:21 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They actually shopped for homes, put in a bid, got a mortgage??? I rarely talk to my neighbors, I go out with friends if I want to socialize. Most people don't care who's in the houses on their street as long at they aren't causing problems. I can't wrap my head around this. Unless there's some other major reason, like a killer commute to work or 'fun' things. Even then I can't imagine NOT KNOWING that before purchasing a house. They will loose money.

I suspect the whole story won't be found here
Probably not, as I only wrote what I what my friend told me, which wasn't much!

Anyway, I do frequently read that many people are sorry they moved for various reasons.

Anyway, they won't lose that much as the house was recently built (not custom, though), and prices here are increasing. No as much as in other parts of the country, but about 15% over last year on average, from what I've read. Still, a lot of hassle along with the Realtor's commission -- but it could have been worse, I think. Houses in that price category go very quickly here, so I doubt it will be on the market long, I hope.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:37 AM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Because (as it was explained to me, anyway) including "family" in a description might be considered as discriminating against singles.
Probably more likely that you can't discriminate against people with kids. If a realtor told me a neighborhood is "great for families," I would know that meant kiddies running and screaming all over the place day and night. Plenty of people don't want that.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:59 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Heh... When I hear people complaining about problem neighbors, it's never been because they're too quiet.

Unless maybe they are the problem neighbor? Are they loud people?

On edit... this post does bring up a lot of issues that Real Estate agents CANNOT warn people about. We cannot engage in conversations with people about the age, religion, race, sexual orientation of neighborhoods, or whether they'd be good for families. Whether you're looking to find or avoid anything in particular... FYI, we can't legally advise about it because of fair housing law. Just something to keep in mind when you're looking. Some issues, we can't help with, even if you'd like us to.
This is why a lot of R.E. Agents will tell prospective buyers to drive by the neighborhood at night or on the weekends to get an idea of what the neighbors are like.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:25 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
I wish to God that I knew more about my current neighbors before buying this home 3 yrs ago. I will be leaving here after a few more yrs and they are the main reason. The most unfriendly neighborhood I have ever lived in. I'm going back to rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.