Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 04:53 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,712,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
When we listed our Colorado home, we were told that it is now illegal to even advertisea home as being in a quiet family neighborhood. (Not sure if that is just for Colorado or applies to the entire U.S.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Because (as it was explained to me, anyway) including "family" in a description might be considered as discriminating against singles.
If someone actually told you that (ie, if you didn't just misunderstand), then you should known better than to believe it. It's nonsense.

A quick google of colorado home "quiet family neighborhood" shows thousands of hits, most of them clearly property listings.

Old 07-04-2021, 06:05 PM

19,057 posts, read 27,627,799 times
I just had taste of "carefully choose". Went to visit my son's place, 1 mile away, in average $800K sub.

Neighbor is cranking Latino music for hours....
Boy oh boy, do I appreciate my place now... Even my neighbor south of me, who is an aging rapper and runs rap music station, has his studio sound proofed and even bought adjacent to him property "not to disturb neighbors with sounds from his studio". What a man! We are QUIET.

Old 07-04-2021, 06:38 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I wish I had quiet neighbors. I have neighbors on one side of me that fight, and throw things, and the neighbors on the other side of me scream at their kid all the time. This is at any time of the night or day, and management could care less as long as the rent is paid.

Makes me realise just how lucky we are, I put £100 ($140 now?) down on a hole in the ground in 1984, a company was building maybe 24 houses and four small low rise apartment blocks adjacent to the river Thames, some 900 metres from Tower Bridge on the South side of the river.
We moved in in January 1985 and have been there ever since.
My neighbour to one side is a guy that I worked with as a truck driver for 25 years, the other side is a single woman about 55-60, we all get along just fine.
Once in a while my old co-worker will have a bbq, and we’ll be invited, even rarer will be when one of his daughters will ask me or my wife if we’d look after her little girl when they’ve run out of babysitters.
Once in a blue moon, single woman neighbour will have friends over for dinner and drinks, and ask if it’s okay for her guests to park on our large driveway, it always is.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:25 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,864,669 times
I think this gay couple feels uncomfortable in a conservative neighborhood and that is the underlying factor here. As far as I am concerned, as long as it is quiet and they keep their property up and neat, I don't care if they are gay, black, brown, Asian, or whatever which is what our nice neighborhood is now. I have lived next to white trash when I was in grad school. YUK!

Old 07-05-2021, 09:34 AM

21,889 posts, read 12,991,949 times
How do they know if their new neighbors are conservative or not; just because they didn't love-bomb them when they moved in? Maybe it's an entitlement issue...

Old 07-05-2021, 09:43 AM

2,872 posts, read 1,152,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I wish to God that I knew more about my current neighbors before buying this home 3 yrs ago. I will be leaving here after a few more yrs and they are the main reason. The most unfriendly neighborhood I have ever lived in. I'm going back to rural.
Life's short. When we discovered the true colors of our neighbors, we called the realtor. Sold the place in a day.
The former neighbors are someone else's problem - or, perhaps, cat's meow - now.
It's a seller's market. Strike while the iron's hot.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:57 AM

19,057 posts, read 27,627,799 times
I'm firm, it's karma. You can sell your house, buy one in super quiet hood and, month down the road, neighbors sell THEIR house and some partier moves in. It's karma.
I'll bring up example. Wife's good friend had their live ruined by 24/7 partying Vietnamese neighbors. Talking to them, calling police - no difference.
They finally bought land, built custom house, all to the tune of shy of $1M - about 12 or so years back. Major expense. Sold their house in the hood and moved out. Month down the road, Vietnamese family sold theirs.
KARMA.

So if you can - go out into the large properties, on acreage, no subs, no HOA and expensive. That tends to have solid people as neighbors.

(ha ha, of course, there's Alan Jackson case. Yep, the country singer. I worked with a doc, who shared lake with Alan in TN. LARGE properties. Lake parties were normal and LOUD) Karma.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:58 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
I don't think I've ever hear anyone complain their neighborhood is too quiet. Majority of home buyers do not like loud noisy streets.

Unless you like to be in a neighborhood where everyone sits in front of their house and play music and have some kind of street fair all the time.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:24 PM

21,889 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Life's short. When we discovered the true colors of our neighbors, we called the realtor. Sold the place in a day.
The former neighbors are someone else's problem - or, perhaps, cat's meow - now.
It's a seller's market. Strike while the iron's hot.
The "true colors" of your neighbors?

Hope you remembered to pay capital gains taxes on any profit.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:45 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Unless you want to make your neighbors your friends and hang out with them..... Why would it matter if they were quiet, old, tall, short, lamp collectors or vegans? If you aren't biased against skin color that shouldn't matter, either. If you are a loud, drunken, lout that has the Hell's Angels wanna bees over to party until dawn, then maybe it would be hard to happily fit in, when the neighbors keep calling the police.

I think most of us leave our houses to do things, or we invite the friends we had before we moved to the new place, over. If they wanted a neighbor where everything is a walkable distance, for example, it shouldn't have been hard to figure out before buying that it wasn't.
You would be wrong. I spend a lot of time working in my yard and on my house. I damn sure don't want to live next to noisy rude neighbors or meth-heads or a bunch of potheads either (I hate the smell) or loud partiers or anyone at all that I felt that somehow impacted my enjoyment of my time indoors or out.

I have mostly great neighbors here. Zero complaints. And we all feel pretty much the same about this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues