Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 10:26 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

A friend just told me that her son and his husband are selling their home after living in it for just one month because the great majority of their neighbors are about twice their age and the neighborhood "vibe" is much too quiet for their liking!

So if the kind of neighbors you have is important to you, you might want to investigate this before you sign the lease or a purchase contract. (This might seem obvious, but maybe not.)

NOTE: I am not sure if this actually belongs in the real estate forum, but I would think caution applies to apartments, also.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:30 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Heh... When I hear people complaining about problem neighbors, it's never been because they're too quiet.

Unless maybe they are the problem neighbor? Are they loud people?

On edit... this post does bring up a lot of issues that Real Estate agents CANNOT warn people about. We cannot engage in conversations with people about the age, religion, race, sexual orientation of neighborhoods, or whether they'd be good for families. Whether you're looking to find or avoid anything in particular... FYI, we can't legally advise about it because of fair housing law. Just something to keep in mind when you're looking. Some issues, we can't help with, even if you'd like us to.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 06-29-2021 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-29-2021, 11:04 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
...after living in it for just one month because the great majority of their neighbors are ...
iow... don't BUY too soon.
EXPECT to live in the new town for a year and only THEN decide if/where/how.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Heh... When I hear people complaining about problem neighbors, it's never been because they're too quiet.

On edit... this post does bring up a lot of issues that Real Estate agents CANNOT warn people about. We cannot engage in conversations with people about the age, religion, race, sexual orientation of neighborhoods, or whether they'd be good for families. Whether you're looking to find or avoid anything in particular... FYI, we can't legally advise about it because of fair housing law. Just something to keep in mind when you're looking. Some issues, we can't help with, even if you'd like us to.
I don't know them -- just met them VERY briefly one time, but as I would guess that they are in their early 30's and they are gay, I would not really expect them to necessarily fit in with a bunch of retirees, lol!

And that brings up something else (just a "btw"), I love it here, but I am an introverted senior and in talking with some younger people I've had business dealings with, our little town IS too quiet for the liking of many young people, it seems. From what I have gathered, most younger people like more excitement than going to antique shops and taking walks in the woods!

Also, thanks to City Data, when it comes to SMALL towns, I think people can get a good fairly good idea of demographics, but maybe not for a larger town or city! (Before moving here, I did a LOT of research and therefore I had a good idea of what to expect and it turned out to be exactly what I expected.)

Old 06-29-2021, 02:13 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
I don't know them -- just met them VERY briefly one time, but as I would guess that they are in their early 30's and they are gay, I would not really expect them to necessarily fit in with a bunch of retirees, lol!

And that brings up something else (just a "btw"), I love it here, but I am an introverted senior and in talking with some younger people I've had business dealings with, our little town IS too quiet for the liking of many young people, it seems. From what I have gathered, most younger people like more excitement than going to antique shops and taking walks in the woods!

Also, thanks to City Data, when it comes to SMALL towns, I think people can get a good fairly good idea of demographics, but maybe not for a larger town or city! (Before moving here, I did a LOT of research and therefore I had a good idea of what to expect and it turned out to be exactly what I expected.)
I think you can get a good idea even with large cities because cities all have distinct neighbourhoods with names. For example the closest big city to my town has 22 distinct neighbourhoods, each one the size of a small town within just the city boundary lines alone, that's not counting the suburban towns/cities that surround the big city outside of its boundaries to make up a much larger metropolitan region. So if I was interested in moving to that city I could look up the full history and all the demographics for each one of those named neighbourhoods in that city and get a pretty good idea of what kind of area each neighbourhood is and if it's a good fit for me or not. It's really important to discover ahead of time what you may be letting yourself in for when you move.

Your friend's son and his spouse were simply not foresighted and not planning ahead. I bet they won't ever make that mistake again the next time they make a move.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:51 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I wish I had quiet neighbors. I have neighbors on one side of me that fight, and throw things, and the neighbors on the other side of me scream at their kid all the time. This is at any time of the night or day, and management could care less as long as the rent is paid.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:09 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:

It's one thing to want to live in an area or a town where there's nearby nightlife or things to do... It's another to sit in your house and wish your neighbor was making more noise.

No one moves because their neighbors are quiet. There's something else!

Old 06-29-2021, 04:10 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:

That's different, it used to be common to advertise family neighborhood, or great for families.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That's different, it used to be common to advertise family neighborhood, or great for families.
When we listed our Colorado home, we were told that it is now illegal to even advertisea home as being in a quiet family neighborhood. (Not sure if that is just for Colorado or applies to the entire U.S.)

Old 06-29-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
It's one thing to want to live in an area or a town where there's nearby nightlife or things to do... It's another to sit in your house and wish your neighbor was making more noise.

No one moves because their neighbors are quiet. There's something else!
Well, I might agree -- but if you are a social type of person (or couple or family), and your neighbors are all the type who do little but watch TV, and you're in a tourist town that virtually "closes down" for most of the year except for the library and local market, I can see why too much quiet might be a problem. (Maybe not, though.)

I agree that they just did not "think it through" enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.