Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 09:34 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,657,333 times

Advertisements

I am renting a moving truck soon and am wondering what type of insurance you recommend?

With Penske I see the following options:

Limited Damage Waiver
Supplemental Liability Insurance
Cargo Insurance
Personal Accident Insurance

I'm guessing the only one I would really need is the LDW as my renters insurance will likely cover the cargo.

I am also going to inquire about rental coverage through my car insurance. Is there a specific document from my car insurance company that would contain the language for rental trucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 04:44 PM

22,629 posts, read 36,582,375 times
You should check with your agent. I'm not sure renter's covers your good off premises. You probably want cargo insurance.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:39 PM

Good news! I talked to my car insurance company and they told me my coverage is good for any vehicle I drive, both rental cars and rental trucks.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:11 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,149,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Good news! I talked to my car insurance company and they told me my coverage is good for any vehicle I drive, both rental cars and rental trucks.
Contents as well?

Old 08-07-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Contents as well?

I doubt it, but I think my renters insurance will cover this. I will call to ask.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:01 AM

290 posts, read 247,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

I read of some instances where the rental agency sued the customer for lost revenue (after an accident with the truck). According to my insurance agent, they don't cover that, but sometimes the policy from the rental agency will. I guess it's something to consider if you're renting a truck.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:28 PM

13,085 posts, read 20,779,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
I read of some instances where the rental agency sued the customer for lost revenue (after an accident with the truck). According to my insurance agent, they don't cover that, but sometimes the policy from the rental agency will. I guess it's something to consider if you're renting a truck.
This is state specific as some states require the rental agency to show that through standard prevailing agency procedures, there would have been no other vehicle available to offer a customer. In those states, the days of charging "loss of use" when there are dozens of in class vehicles sitting idle on the lot are gone.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,211 posts, read 80,386,269 times
Beware that car rental places (and probably truck rental now) have started to charge for "loss of use" which is the money they are not making when the car or truck cannot be rented out while in the shop. Your car insurance will not cover that. So let's say a minor fender-bended requires a part to be ordered so the truck rental place is without it for a week, they will charge you for a week' rental charges.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-use/92878126/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues