Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 02:53 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times

Advertisements

I moved from Boston to Denver about 15 years ago, and it was in the 7-8K range. I would never do the same again, and I would sell everything I could sell, except for a couple of heirloom pieces of furniture I have that are not replaceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 09:19 PM

342 posts, read 320,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Is your stuff worth another $30 thousand?

(Btw, you got took 15 years ago, as the going rate was $7000 across country.)
We didn't pay for it, the company paid every cent. That cost included the charge for moving two vehicles, now that I think about it. I just remembered "$30K for the move" but that did include two of our vehicles going on flat-bed trucks.

The thing with our packers is they did a fantastic job. Everything was packed perfectly. There were three people and it took them two full days to pack our house. They built crates for delicate items like mirrors and artwork, and packed everything else with bubble wrap when needed and TONS of packing paper. Everything was so well protected and well labeled.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:01 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
I should add that the large national companies seem not to have any on the ground employees. They all use local companies that are affiliated. So you are at the mercy of the local guys. So look up the reviews of the local company that packs you at least. Delivery company won’t probably be assigned until later.

Old 10-31-2021, 03:01 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,651,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
What is the general cost to hire professional movers to pack your things and move your items cross country? I had this done 15 years ago and my ex's company footed the relocation costs. The total bill was approx. $30K for a huge Allied moving truck going 2,000 miles. I'm wondering if anyone has a breakdown of what the costs are for packing and per mile, etc. Rough estimates are fine. It was just SO NICE to have everything packed for me. I've always hired movers to do the loading and unloading of boxes for local moves, but I'm curious about cross-country moves and having my items packed for me again. I just loved that so very much. It was a true luxury.

Thanks!
Two years ago we received quotes from Allied and Bekins. 14k quote from both of them. We did a Uhaul move for under 5k.

Three bedroom home. TX to WA.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:56 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,928,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It depends on how much stuff, where you are going and when you are going. No quote is the same.

Estimates are free.

I'll make a wild guess and say not likely to be less than 10K for a normal size house.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:11 PM

275 posts, read 285,761 times
We moved from WNY to Northern Nevada in August of 2020. We received a few estimates. Went with Mayflower which is also United. They estimated 5 pods (the trucks have built in pods and the cost is based on how many they fill). He said that if we keep it to 4 it would be about $6500. We ended up using 5 1/2 pods so it went up to around $8k. That did include disassembling furniture, thoroughly wrapping delicate objects, carefully loading and unloading to the location we asked. When given the estimate they told us it would include re-assembling but the local workers in NV said no due to insurance. Not a huge deal, the items were in the location we needed.
They also told us to use cardboard boxes because they can stack more in the same space, compared to plastic bins. However, we had some stuff in plastic bins (XMas decorations) and didn't feel like unpacking them, and then having to move the bins anyway.
Overall, we were quite happy with their process and would recommend them. Good communication, delivered on what they promised and no surprise add-ons at the end.

Old 11-03-2021, 04:11 PM

23,324 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMoveInFuture View Post
They also told us to use cardboard boxes because they can stack more in the same space, compared to plastic bins. However, we had some stuff in plastic bins (XMas decorations) and didn't feel like unpacking them, and then having to move the bins anyway.
The few times I've used movers they discouraged using plastic bins/totes as they are harder to load and stack efficiently. They don't have perpendicular sides so there ends up being a lot of wasted space around each one. Uniform, straight-sided cardboard boxes are more efficient and make the truck pack tighter and thus, more stable. Also, unless every inch of interior space inside a bin/tote is packed thoroughly the plastic can get brittle in certain conditions and tolerate less weight loading than a cardboard box. Then they collapse, crushing and scattering the contents. Learned many years ago not to rely on very many of them to prepare for a move whether I'm doing the packing/hauling or someone else is.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-03-2021 at 05:15 PM..

Old 11-03-2021, 06:40 PM

342 posts, read 320,819 times
Yes, we always use cardboard boxes. I've moved over 25 times as an adult. Boxes are the only way to go, and wardrobe boxes for clothing.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:41 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Local company charges $300 an hour.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,743 times
Hello, friend. I moved a couple of months ago. I took advantage of a company. They packed, loaded, moved everything in one piece. I think their rates are great for that kind of service. Well there the price of course depends on the distance and the list of services that you need
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues