Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 04:52 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Two years ago we received quotes from Allied and Bekins. 14k quote from both of them. We did a Uhaul move for under 5k.

Three bedroom home. TX to WA.
Moved my stepdaughter from Las Vegas to Stillwater, OK. Truck rental company wanted about $2K for the truck, and that is with us doing all the work and included no packing materials. Hired a company called Move 4 Less. They packed everything, loaded and unloaded the truck, and reassembled all the furniture for about $900. Renting a truck and doing it yourself isn't always less expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 2,743 times
I can safely recommend them https://lexelmoving.com a reliable carrier. Moved my treasure safe and sound

Old 11-17-2021, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 2,743 times
I can safely recommend them https://lexelmoving.com a reliable carrier. Moved my treasure safe

Old 11-17-2021, 10:36 PM

632 posts, read 299,671 times
It cost me around 2,500 to move 200 miles. It depend on distance and how much stuff you have.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:43 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
There are sites you can go to for quotes/bids. Since companies compete you'll probably get your best price.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:33 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I moved from Boston to Denver about 15 years ago, and it was in the 7-8K range. I would never do the same again, and I would sell everything I could sell, except for a couple of heirloom pieces of furniture I have that are not replaceable.
My cross-country move was a long time ago, in 1985. It cost $2500 for a one-bedroom apartment, and one of the stupidest things I ever did. I'm not sure my belongings were worth that much, except for the high-end stereo system I had at the time that I could have moved in the trunk of my car for the drive. At this point I have a few things I would want to keep, but they could all fit in my car or a small U-Haul trailer.

My best friend moved about 4 years ago, and I'm constantly amazed and almost appalled at the stuff she moved and is slowly selling or donating - even large pieces of furniture that are duplicates because her other moved in with them to the new, bigger house. I don't understand why she didn't do that before the move instead of paying to transport it.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:00 AM

3,581 posts, read 3,084,096 times
Be sure to get a company that physically comes to your home and provides their own estimate of weight and volume. We had 2 quotes one we self-estimated, the other they came out. We were thousands of pounds off on our estimate. They guaranteed their estimate, and only charged us the lower of the weigh-in or estimate weight.

Final cost $9300 with United. TX to NY in 2019. 1500 miles, 9700 lbs. Volume didn't matter. We self-packed. Part of cost was requiring a smaller truck as the large moving truck was too long to turn onto our street in TX (another reason to get an in-person estimate from a company). Truck arrived in 3 days, local movers in each city loaded/unloaded. most of the cost was milage related, not weight. This cost was lower than other estimate, had quicker service, had insurance included in the cost, and had a better estimate. We looked at UHaul, but adding in cost and effort of hiring loaders/unloaders, not having a guarantee, and still having to make a separate trip to bring the cars up just wasn't worth it.

In-laws also moved last year (TX to NY), and self-estimated, and ended up paying thousands higher when the actual weighing occurred. They also had delayed delivery by weeks, as their furniture was on a longer truck that carries multiple households. They also paid more than we did.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:40 AM

62 posts, read 112,515 times
**Also, dont forget that if you aren't planning on driving or you have more than one vehicle (like we did), you will need to hire a transport company to deliver your car as well to the new state.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
Had a great moving company that packed, labeled and had two "open first" boxes which contained dog food, dish, coffee maker, coffee, sheets and blankets, at their suggestion.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:41 PM

23,324 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Had a great moving company that packed, labeled and had two "open first" boxes which contained dog food, dish, coffee maker, coffee, sheets and blankets, at their suggestion.
When I move (with or without pets) I always take a box or two of "open first" items along with me in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues