Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 11:47 PM

17,551 posts, read 13,334,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
What is the general cost to hire professional movers to pack your things and move your items cross country? I had this done 15 years ago and my ex's company footed the relocation costs. The total bill was approx. $30K for a huge Allied moving truck going 2,000 miles. I'm wondering if anyone has a breakdown of what the costs are for packing and per mile, etc. Rough estimates are fine. It was just SO NICE to have everything packed for me. I've always hired movers to do the loading and unloading of boxes for local moves, but I'm curious about cross-country moves and having my items packed for me again. I just loved that so very much. It was a true luxury.

Thanks!

Call and ask, no way we would know. Too many variables
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 04:00 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Get a BINDING ESTIMATE when you get an estimate that way you know exactly what your cost will be and it will not change.

Take the full value insurance too, otherwise your heirloom furniture, worth thousands of dollars, could be destroyed or stolen and all you'll get is the standard $1.25 per pound.

If you go with a low-bid mover and you don't get a binding estimate then your goods can be held for ransom at the delivery end of the trip for some BS extra costs; the files of the Federal watchdog agency are full of cases where this happened to people.

Binding estimate, full value insurance.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:25 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Full value insurance no doubt requires that you can prove the value of items in order to collect. Your heirloom antique? They will claim it is a semi worthless piece of used furniture. If you collect art, keep the receipts. Otherwise it’s just amateur hobbyart to the moving company insurers. And even then, they will claim for furniture oh it’s old and was already scratched up. It’s up to you to prove otherwise.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:53 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Full value insurance no doubt requires that you can prove the value of items in order to collect. Your heirloom antique? They will claim it is a semi worthless piece of used furniture. If you collect art, keep the receipts. Otherwise it’s just amateur hobbyart to the moving company insurers. And even then, they will claim for furniture oh it’s old and was already scratched up. It’s up to you to prove otherwise.
I only have a few higher value pieces. I keep the supporting valuation documentation for insurance purposes anyway, so have presented that to a moving company. The smaller things I usually chose to pack and transport myself. If that wasn't possible I identified them when the moving company's estimator came to survey the job. They did a more thorough supervised overpack, listed them on a separate bill of lading, inspected the pack before loading and also verified their condition upon delivery. So far, no damage/loss claims necessary.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 7,575 times
It's pretty tough to give a breakdown of exactly what the costs go to, but that seems a bit high to me. It also depends on the specifics of where you're going to and from, plus how much stuff you need moved. If you need some insight on how costs are calculated, this article https://threemenandatruck.net/how-mu...oving-company/ has some fairly in depth explanation of the process. Long distance moving definitely isn't cheap though. I'd call around a get a few other quotes to make sure you aren't getting hosed by Allied.

Old 02-14-2022, 06:18 AM

8 posts, read 4,131 times
At least a couple grand according to a moving company called 3 Movers. Sounds like it really depends on how much you need moved and how far it is though. Best way to find out is to call up a few movers and see what sort of estimate they give you. Most companies if not all of them give free price quotes so a couple phone calls can really help you nail down what you can expect to pay since you can tell them the specifics of your move.

Old 02-17-2022, 02:58 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,146,804 times
I'm going through this process myself right now. Here's what I've learned, so far:

For me, the on-line or phone-call "estimates" are really hard to do if you are not already packed. It's easy enough to tell them how many beds (and their sizes), specific pieces of furniture, that sort of thing, BUT when they start asking, "And how many boxes in that room?" there is no way to know. What's "a box"? 1-cubic foot full of books or 3-cubic feet full of cotton balls??? I rounded up on a couple of these estimates, and I'm pretty sure I was way off (too high).

We had an estimator out -- and plan to have at least one other come out -- and his estimate took into consideration what he could see and take pictures of plus what he expected the contents of closets and cupboards to be.

For us, the biggest factor in the cost is the distance. After that, it's down to weight (not volume).

I'll try to remember to post when all is said and done as to how it all turns out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues