Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 08:45 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times

Advertisements

I recently moved from Colorado to California.

The cheapest solution would have been renting a truck although I suspect the rate was impacted by the fact that most people are moving the other way so I'd be helping out the truck rental company by driving to California.

I used PODS. I downsized my stuff to fit into one 16 foot long POD. They quoted a firm price and met every expectation. If I ever move again, I'll use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 08:57 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
It might go without saying, but one way to cut down on the load size is to thrift out furniture, clothes, junk before the move. I always say I'll do this, and never do - so 'do as I say, not as I do'.

We always end up moving an unbelievable amount of crap, including furniture that doesn't fit in the new house, just to sell/donate and buy more appropriate pieces.

In other words, don't may big $$ to move cheap furniture.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:39 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I do have another idea which saves you money but can take alot of the hassle out of moving. For me, the worst part about moving was the loading and unloading the truck. I dont mind driving. What we have done is to hire someone to pack the truck, I would then drive the moving truck to where ever we were going and then hire someone to unpack it.

Total cost for the packer/unpackers was 500 dollars. You still have to rent the truck and pay for gas but the total for everything should be less then 1000 dollars.
This was going to be our plan when we moved to Tennessee. But I could not find people to do this. I tried a temporary agency and they will not send people to a private residence.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:21 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This was going to be our plan when we moved to Tennessee. But I could not find people to do this. I tried a temporary agency and they will not send people to a private residence.
Drive to your local home depot parking lot and you'll find a ton of folks willing to work. helps is you speak spanish.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:10 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
You can get an instant on-line rough estimate for all 4 methods here, based on the specifics of your move:

https://www.movebuddha.com/
Great link, thanks!

Old 01-03-2022, 04:50 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
I won't use a partial-load service again. You never know how many times your things will be loaded/unloaded.

For our next move I plan to drive a small/medium truck myself with the more important things, and move the rest with PODs or similar. We'll probably do the packing, but hire people for the loading and unloading.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:51 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I'd be interested to know from those who have moved across states what the cost difference was when comparing getting a moving truck and packing it yourself, versus package one of those pods and having it moved, versus paying a company to do everything for you. Obviously the latter option will be the most expensive but I wonder how much more expensive. We are considering a move from Indiana to Texas later this year and I've always used a moving truck and packed it myself, but after our last move my wife said she doesn't want to do that again. I wonder how much cash we'd need to spend to pack up a pod and have it shipped or for someone else to do everything from us. Anyone have past experiences?

Visit Uship.com and place your listing giving a list of everything you have to move, from where to where and dates you desire. Bids will come in from new movers as well as those with plenty of feedback and you can communicate with the ones you might be wiling to consider and look for movers with insurance. They arrive and pack as you supervise and you can be on the destination end too. They don't get paid until you give them a specific code once the job is complete. Look around the site. It won't cost you a dime and the bids will give you an idea what it may cost through that site. Do this well ahead of a scheduled move so you can get several quotes. The early quotes will be high so allow time for them to go down as they compete for your job. If you have any questions at all just send me a message. We had feedback of 38.
Where are you going? My crew might bid ourselves and rent a Uhaul of Penske for the move and Penske gives free miles on one way rentals.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:56 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
I've always used a moving truck and packed it myself, but after our last move my wife said she doesn't want to do that again.
Can't imagine you'd have a choice if your wife doesn't want to.

Quote:

I wonder how much cash we'd need to spend to pack up a pod and have it shipped or for someone else to do everything from us.
If you are asking about cost, every move will be different so your best bet is to call around to the kind of service and ask about the cost.

Old 01-04-2022, 06:59 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
It might go without saying, but one way to cut down on the load size is to thrift out furniture, clothes, junk before the move. I always say I'll do this, and never do - so 'do as I say, not as I do'.

We always end up moving an unbelievable amount of crap, including furniture that doesn't fit in the new house, just to sell/donate and buy more appropriate pieces.

In other words, don't may big $$ to move cheap furniture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
For our next move I plan to drive a small/medium truck myself with the more important things, and move the rest with PODs or similar. We'll probably do the packing, but hire people for the loading and unloading.
These two tips are probably the best combination.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:40 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Where are you going? My crew might bid ourselves and rent a Uhaul of Penske for the move and Penske gives free miles on one way rentals.

Thanks we would be moving from Indianapolis to either Tampa or Houston probably. Still in the works as to where we're going to relocate to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues