U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:20 PM

24 posts, read 81,588 times

Advertisements

I am so glad I found this information about the Florida border. We are moving from FL to AL in a couple weeks and I will make sure that if we run into that we will stop.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 9,853 times
Driving a Penske26ft truck with personal items thru New Mexico Idaho, Utah and Washington, do I have to stop at weigh stations

Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,043,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Navas View Post
Driving a Penske26ft truck with personal items thru New Mexico Idaho, Utah and Washington, do I have to stop at weigh stations
You need to read the signs at the stations. Some will say you do not have to stop. Some will be vaugue and not clear. Others amy say ALL vehciles over X weight must pull into the station. The thing that confuses people is that most exempt moving vans for personal household use, but they have no way of kowing what your hauling. Most times if you pass one by its no big deal. But from time to time they do go after the moving van just to check that it is personal. Unless the sign says moving vans do not have to pull in, I pull into the first one and if they green light me, I just roll on through.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 PM

188 posts, read 878,476 times
We just moved from Missouri to South Dakota in a 26ft penske truck West on I70 and North on I29, we pulled in each and everyone and got waved thru, the only one that had a sign that said "ALL rental trucks must pull in for weighing" was the first one in SD, we pulled in and got waved thru again. The penske truck in front of us didn't pull in and got pulled over and ticketed.

I also want to add that when we left FL 10 years ago to move to MO via North on I75, there is a weight station right before you exit the State of Florida and all rental trucks were required to pull in for inspection due to the issue with citrus fruits. They actually make us open the back so they could look inside.

I would rather be safe than sorry, it only takes a few extra mins.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:20 PM

20,870 posts, read 19,888,564 times
Interesting thread. great info too but I was wondering do RV's, especially the bus sized ones, have to pull in too? I have seen them pull in but have always wondered why?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:30 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,043,122 times
I think the only RVs that must pull in are if the signs say they must pull in, if they are rentals, or if they are commerical. A RV being transported from one place to another by a DOT licensed company is commerical. RV's used for movie shoots are commerical vehciles and similar A rental is commerical if used for commerical purposes.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 AM

119 posts, read 266,925 times
Good info here! I will use this for my next move!

Last edited by cheesecurd; 08-30-2011 at 05:01 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,306,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I thought that only commercial vehicles had to stop.
Not true. All trucks have to stop. Non commercial trucks are just not required to meet some of the commercial truckers regulations. EG. Keeping a log book. You are although still required to be within your weight limits, all safety related equipment must be working, lights, horn, steering, etc. etc.

Having spent the last almost 5 years as a commercial driver in all 48 states I can tell you that most of the time the scales are not even open. Some states have closed them all, NY.

It's no sweat at all if you do have to go through a scale but I'll give you a warning. Make sure you have no outstanding fines anywhere. NO booze, drugs or guns in the cab. Be polite and answer their question without any kind of chip on your shoulder because you just want to be on your way and if they get nasty they can detain you for a long time as they are checking every single last thing on the vehicle.

Have a great and safe drive.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 13,822 times
No! You really don't have to stop because you probably don't have a CDL and most cops excuse personal moving vans. Most household goods plus truck don't weigh over 25,999. As a CDL holder myself, I haul asphalt for a local company and I drive a Tri axel dump and empty weight for me is 26,500 lbs and legal weight loaded for me is 58,500 lbs. So your answer is yes Ide stop, I drove a 22 foot Penskie from TX to OH and I Just Rolled through the weigh stations slow and never stopped.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 26,749 times
We will be driving out of California and heading to Florida sometime in November. The route that we will be taking is the I-40; I-20 and I-10 route through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisianna, Alabame and then Florida. We are planning on tranporting about 20 small plants stored in trash bags and about 4 trees in pot. We will be driving a 22' long Penske truck towing a car on a car carrier. Does anyone have any suggestions to avoid inspection stations throughout this route? We don't want to give up these plants and trees but are very concerned about being stopped at inspection stations. We have talked with some people who have taken similiar trips and most of the responses are positive, except a few which causes us to be very concerned. Anyone has any idea what they require you to do if they find trees and plants in the moving truck? Do they make you get rid of them right at the inspection station, or do they require you to drive to a special dump site to dispose all the plants and trees? Much appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues