Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 02:36 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,094,269 times

Advertisements

I have some antiques and assorted stuff and won’t be selling here, there is no market for it. I’ll wait and decide what to keep and what to sell at the next location, it should be closer to a big city.

We have a lot of furniture that wouldn’t sell for a fraction of what we paid for it, it’s better to keep it, since I’m not going to be shopping in expensive furniture stores. I plan to spend on house renovations, not furniture. A new remodeled kitchen, along with a ten year old dining set works fine in my situation. Cheap furniture has no appeal and with pets, it wouldn’t last long anyway. It’s better to keep what we have, scratches clean up nicely with furniture pens. This really depends on the individual too. Everyone’s situation is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 04:06 PM
KCZ

4,654 posts, read 3,601,120 times
Lots of appliance and furniture models are back-ordered for months. Would you rather pay to have your current fridge moved, or wait 6 months for one you like for your new location, or spend an extra $1K for one you don't want but is the cheapest one in stock?

And I wouldn't move any large appliances or pieces of furniture unless you've measured and are certain they'll fit in your new home.

Buy some vacuum seal bags and you can fit all those blankets, pillows, and comforters in one box, and you won't have to buy new on arrival.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:12 PM

6,115 posts, read 12,484,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
get rid of the furniture,you can always buy local/plus all the old clothes,shoes,appliances.magazines,books,photos,so cks,old underwear.
Yup.

I've said it before in this forum, but sell the stuff and buy new at new location.

Unless something is valuable (in which case it should be crated vs. traditional movers), its not worth it. Downsize and buy new items that "fit" your new space.

Edit - most furniture stores have free delivery, or significantly lower cost than paying movers. It just makes the most sense.

Old 02-27-2022, 06:50 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 18 hours ago)

1,963 posts, read 3,295,452 times
Moving is hell lol.

We moved 650 miles. Moved a whole house of goods to another house.

We rented a large U-Haul truck and did it ourselves, both of us being Senior Citizens.

Like i said, it was hell. I had a library full of books - and got rid of the vast majority of them once i started packing them in boxes to move. (I'm a bookseller.) We sold or gave away most of our furniture and most of our "junk" that wasn't extra meaningful to us. And still needed the largest truck.

We drove one of our vehicles, and sent for the other months later to be shipped. That was another PITA - trying to find a reliable vehicle shipping service. And the cost.

I wish you the best - but unless your furniture is very high quality or meaningful to you (we kept our mattress and bed), i would sell as much as possible. Good luck with everything.

Edited to add: I saw your couch comment... we have been here 4 years and still don't have a couch yet! I now wish we had brought the one that was chewed up by the dog! :O

Old 02-27-2022, 09:52 PM

21,872 posts, read 19,022,720 times
get rid of it and buy stuff at your new place.
this way it is cheaper, easier, and more fun.

there are only two types of items that need to be moved (instead of getting rid of it and replacing when you get to your new place).
1. sentimental value, i.e. can't be replaced
2. expensive antiques (which are likely to be damaged in the move anyway, or cost a whole lot of money, aggravation, and stress and worry to move)

i like things easy. i found moving became a whole lot easier when i got rid of everything in categories 1. and 2. above.

and it felt better too.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:18 AM

9,187 posts, read 4,978,087 times
Keep and move the things you love and absolutely want to have in your new home. Old mattresses? worn out chairs, sofas? Get rid of them NOW and treat yourself to some nice new things when you get to your new home.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:30 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,525,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
Thank you for the responses! I would say our stuff is not “cheap” for us. Yes, even the pots and pans, sofas etc would take some time to replace when we move. It might make it more worth it to move the washer/dryer and fridge since those are only a few yrs old and cost a bit. We moved into our current home a few yrs ago and wasn’t too happy about having to buy these things (sofas, fridge, w/d). Wouldn’t want to get a used couch after the move, so we might go without for a while.
OP,

Do you already have the new place where you are moving? I ask with regard to your washer/dryer. Be sure your new place can accommodate your units. Some houses/apartments will only fit stacked washer/dryers and others will only fit individual units. Also, when you bought your new washer it likely had a metal pole you removed that held the tub in place. Hope you still have it as it is needed to transport the washer to its new location. It stablizes the tub during transport.

Hate to see you spend money to transport these two items only to find out they don't fit in the new space or the washer was damaged in transport.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Keep and move the things you love and absolutely want to have in your new home. Old mattresses? worn out chairs, sofas? Get rid of them NOW and treat yourself to some nice new things when you get to your new home.
Great advise, and appliances like washers and dryers don’t always travel well, so it makes sense to sell them. Out of curiosity I looked on Ethan Allen, which is my favorite furniture store. It would cost around 7k to replace the current dining table, four chairs and hutch and that’s on the low side. A cross country move is probably, I dunno, 20k? but the cost of replacing furniture would add up fast.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:30 PM

230 posts, read 160,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Out of curiosity I looked on Ethan Allen, which is my favorite furniture store. It would cost around 7k to replace the current dining table, four chairs and hutch and that’s on the low side. A cross country move is probably, I dunno, 20k? but the cost of replacing furniture would add up fast.
A quick mental survey of the things I'd want to have in a new house makes me feel like Taz. It might be slightly cheaper to replace the furniture but it feels much closer than some people are implying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
This feels wasteful. Of course I have some furniture that would be purged in a move but I also have plenty of furniture that I don't love but I like. It is solid, well made, has useful life left. As with a 10+ year old car the monetary value and the replacement cost have diverged.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
This feels wasteful. Of course I have some furniture that would be purged in a move but I also have plenty of furniture that I don't love but I like. It is solid, well made, has useful life left. As with a 10+ year old car the monetary value and the replacement cost have diverged.
This is an excellent point. As you mention, replacement cost for similar furniture is going to be expensive, especially with inflation. Replacing an entire house, no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues