Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,951 times

Advertisements

I will be moving across country ( starting in Reno NV) to Winston Salem with a 16ft U-haul and towing a flatbed trailer with a car. Google maps wants me to take 1-80, but I'm wondering if I-40 would be a better route? I'm nervous making the trek and I would be interested in hearing others experiences with either route. I'd like to have lots of truck stops, easier to fuel up at and showers! Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 08:36 AM

505 posts, read 584,170 times
I've taken quite a few road trips this summer and used to live in NV. I just took a road trip to Raleigh from Chicago suburbs. I took I-40. Be prepared for toll roads. One thing I had to pay attention to using Google maps is that it took me on short-cuts on small, rural, back roads, two-lane highways.

Now I make sure I'm routing myself on main interstates, they'll have the most rest areas and gas stations. Also, I sometimes like the Waze app better than Google maps. You could play with both en route.

Safe travels to you!

Old 07-28-2021, 09:56 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
I suspect I-40 is flatter.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:40 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixheartxreno View Post
...Reno NV) to Winston Salem with a 16ft U-haul and towing a flatbed trailer with a car.
Google maps wants me to take 1-80, but...
I agree. Stay on I-80 as far east as you can stand. Point SE somewhere around Ohio. MapLink

Old 07-28-2021, 01:00 PM

319 posts, read 199,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I suspect I-40 is flatter.
Until you get to Nashville, TN. At that point you start rising to the Cumberland Plateau. Then the mountains of eastern TN and western NC. There's an approximate 20 mile stretch approaching the NC border where lane restrictions exist for trucks. They have to stay in the right lane, you pass at your own risk. It's fairly level but verrry twisty.

After Asheville, I think somewhere past MM66? you start dropping. It's a 6% switchback drive for about 6 miles. Amazingly, once you hit the bottom, it's totally flat.

Also, I-40 is said to be a crap road across Arkansas, plus work is being done on the bridge at Memphis which may mean a detour (check for updates). And I definitely would never do I-40 around Nashville. I-40 between Nashville and Knoxville is Car Crash City. I live along that corridor now and listen to the radio for the daily pileups that create miles long backlogs.

Someone mentioned taking I-80 as far east as possible, then drop down? That's my recommendation as well.

I've done the roads myself; some of them many times; as a former NC person who has family in the Midwest and also made a RV drive to the Badlands a couple years ago.

This is going to sound circuitous, but is based on my travel pattern of staying away from as many big cities as possible with their snarl of interchanges and possible road construction. Hopefully you aren't looking at a dinky phone screen:

I-80 to I-39

At Bloomington, grab the I-74/I-55 merge then split off and head SE on I-74 to Champaign

Grab I-57 and head to the I-64 connector at Mt Vernon, IL. Yes it does do a bit of a western bend to I-64

I-64 east, driving a mind-numbing and boring length to Louisville, KY. Pay attention to your gas gauge. Stations tend to be a bit farther apart.

You do have the option of staying on I-64, swinging down to Lexington and hitting I-75.

Personally, I take I-65 south and get off on the Cumberland Parkway, exit 43 (I think). Take the Cumberland Parkway east; an extremely relaxing and pretty drive to Somerset, KY. There you follow the signs to KY 80 (will probably also say TO I-75.) That will take you to I-75 and south to Knoxville to I-40. Once on I-40, it's a straight shot to Winston-Salem.

Be prepared for tourist and RV traffic on I-75 heading to Knoxville, then I-40 to the Smokies. This time of the year, it absolutely, totally sucks, especially on Friday and Sunday.

Watch Asheville with the I-26 and I-240 interchanges. Those are a couple of weird spots where lanes shoot off in illogical directions and traffic pours onto I-40 in large volumes. And after Asheville, like I said, watch the descent. It jumps out at the unprepared who usually have an "ohhh, s*!" reaction. Once you've done that, it's easy peasy to Winston-Salem.

As a former W-S area person; one who lived there for 29 years; welcome to the area. We only moved to Tennessee to do like other retirees: survive in a lower cost of living area. I'd move back to W-S in a flash if the money was available. I thought TN would be like NC, but it's not. I hope you make a good life there.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:09 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixheartxreno View Post
I will be moving across country ( starting in Reno NV) to Winston Salem with a 16ft U-haul and towing a flatbed trailer with a car. Google maps wants me to take 1-80, but I'm wondering if I-40 would be a better route? I'm nervous making the trek and I would be interested in hearing others experiences with either route. I'd like to have lots of truck stops, easier to fuel up at and showers! Thank you for any input.

I went I-40 with just my car though (when I moved from Las Vegas to Hickory, NC). Made many stops, took I think 3.5 days. First stopped in Albuquerque, then in Henryetta, Oklahoma and last stop in Lebanon, Tennessee. It was a beautiful drive, the most enjoyable road trip I went on. Wish I had a little more time to enjoy it (but I had to stick to the schedule due to work commitment); but it was relaxing enough I thought. My schedule was to drive for 4 hour increments.

My initial thought is that especially if you're driving a U-haul, I would not want to go through the mountainous parts of like Colorado. I hope you take the I-40 drive. I'd like to take it again if I could. Maybe when I'm retired and can afford like a month on the road... one day!

Oh dear---I did forget how mountainous (or was it twisty then? It was something) that part of I-40 is when coming in to NC from the west. Yes, in a U-haul you would definitely want to try to avoid that.

And I recall being very aggravated around Memphis. Lot of construction. But those first 2 days were amazing. I don't recall anything exceptional in Arkansas.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:51 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post

My initial thought is that especially if you're driving a U-haul, I would not want to go through the mountainous parts of like Colorado. I hope you take the I-40 drive. I'd like to take it again if I could. Maybe when I'm retired and can afford like a month on the road... one day!

Oh dear---I did forget how mountainous (or was it twisty then? It was something) that part of I-40 is when coming in to NC from the west. Yes, in a U-haul you would definitely want to try to avoid that.

And I recall being very aggravated around Memphis. Lot of construction. But those first 2 days were amazing. I don't recall anything exceptional in Arkansas.
I80 does not run through Colorado.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:49 AM

11,465 posts, read 5,995,398 times
80 is faster, more direct, and has ample truck stops all along the route. I just drove that route moving from Sacramento to Knoxville. It is an easy drive.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:20 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
After Asheville, I think somewhere past MM66? you start dropping. It's a 6% switchback drive for about 6 miles. Amazingly, once you hit the bottom, it's totally flat.

I wouldn't drive that with a U-Haul on a bet!

Old 08-01-2021, 11:12 AM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post

And after Asheville, like I said, watch the descent. It jumps out at the unprepared who usually have an "ohhh, s*!" reaction. Once you've done that, it's easy peasy to Winston-Salem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I wouldn't drive that with a U-Haul on a bet!
This from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inters...North_Carolina

Shortly after it leaves the Asheville area, I-40 encounters a steep grade, Old Fort Mountain, with winding roads that poses a hazard to truck traffic. There are several runaway truck ramps on this part of the highway. This stretch is about six miles long.

Also see https://www.flattestroute.com/Asheville-to-Conover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues