Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 11:45 AM

3,086 posts, read 1,557,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
...do you regret it? I'm curious to hear from people who lived within a couple of hours of the ocean and then moved to a land-locked state where they had to take a plan ride to visit the beach. Do you miss being within driving distance of an ocean? Did you move back? Or are you happy with the water/lake features in your state?
Thanks in advance for sharing!
Grew up within 90 minutes of closest beach, moved to the land-locked mid-west in mid 20's and moved back in my 30's.
Yes, I missed the ocean and having the option to go at any time with no prior planning. I can get my fix in the winter when the days are dreary, in the fall when the air temperatures are mid 70's and ocean temps are warm, or late spring as I am becoming impatient for summer. We often check the weather and decide to do a day trip, enjoy dinner with an ocean front/bay view and return home in a rejuvinated state of mind. We rent for longer stays in the fall when rates are reasonable for an oceanfront home and can get there on a tank of gas.

For me, the sight and sound of waves of the ocean is a wonderful experience year round.

Old 05-07-2022, 12:39 PM

25,407 posts, read 9,702,582 times
Quote:
...do you regret it? I'm curious to hear from people who lived within a couple of hours of the ocean and then moved to a land-locked state where they had to take a plan ride to visit the beach. Do you miss being within driving distance of an ocean? Did you move back? Or are you happy with the water/lake features in your state?
We do miss the ocean and have been away for about 7 years. But our town was so overly developed that it broke our hearts to see what was happening to it. We had to move for our peace of mind. My husband was a 6th generation in that town and lived across the street from the beach growing up. My family had a history there as well. We haven't been back for over 5 years.

Old 05-07-2022, 12:48 PM

3,008 posts, read 1,973,611 times
I lived 65 years near the ocean in 2 states, from 1 minute to 15 minutes away and spent a lot of time there.
Now live 3 hours from ocean and like it just as much exploring mountains.

Gardening is more productive away from sand and skin cancer is a reality from beach years, like Parnassia I'm fair-skinned (yes used sunblock like a religious act).

The only ocean I'd choose to live by now is far north, Maine or Atlantic Canada but I don't regret not living seaside now, really like it away from hurricane alerts.

Old 05-07-2022, 12:54 PM

26,909 posts, read 43,427,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Can you share what was your hometown? Just curious about the flooding changes. We are in Pinellas County.
Pinellas isn't really seeing the effects so much yet, especially if you consider parts of the county around Seminole, Largo, Belleair Bluffs, Bellair and Clearwater's Nursery Road corridor are well above sea level and "non-flood" in terms of insurance coverage. The most noticeable high-tide flooding is happening in/around Dade and Broward Counties right now.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/enviro...far-from-ocean

Old 05-07-2022, 12:56 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,595,660 times
OP, I know that you are considering moving to Colorado. I did the same nearly 50 years ago -- moved from the Eastern Seaboard to Colorado. I love Colorado and spent a lot of time in the mountains skiing and hiking. But I always missed not only being close to the ocean but also just the lush greenness of the east coast. Colorado is very dry and trees are sparse. Winters on the plains (where Denver and Colorado Springs are) are brown. But, the weather is so much better with the lack of humidity, so it's all a trade-off. BTW, there are some discussions on the Colorado City-Data forum about moving from the east coast. I suggest you do a search.

When we retired, I wanted to be closer to the ocean again. We are now snowbirds, spending most of the year in Hawaii and the summers in the mountains of Colorado. Best of both worlds!

Old 05-07-2022, 01:04 PM

314 posts, read 483,518 times
Quote:
I moved from an "Ocean" state to a place hours from the coast and within the same state. I miss the ocean although I prefer Oregon's beaches to WA where I am now (I used to live 2 blocks from the beach in OR). I did have access to the beaches of WA when I lived there, but there weren't really my jam.

Old 05-07-2022, 01:07 PM

695 posts, read 696,555 times
I was born and lived in Connecticut until moving to Arizona last year. I have always loved New England and used to be quite the beach bum, but it was time for a change. My hubby and I visited his parents in the Tucson area every year and fell in love with the Sonoran desert. I gave my kayak to a grateful neighbor and am here in the Tucson area. Although I miss some things about New England, it’s fine if I just vacation there.

Old 05-07-2022, 04:27 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,783,824 times
I miss the beach every single day.

Old 05-07-2022, 04:32 PM

6,641 posts, read 4,095,510 times
I live in an 'ocean state' technically but the closest actual beaches are probably in another state (MD) and it's about a 45-60 minute drive though certainly more on typical beach-going days. I've never been though. It just doesn't strike me as worth the effort. Even when I lived very close (3-5 miles) to the shore back in the day I hardly ever went. I think it's because I grew up in the heart of a big city, so I never developed any habits or hobbies related to the outdoors whether it's the ocean or mountains.

Old 05-07-2022, 04:36 PM

48,363 posts, read 34,504,185 times
Hawaii to Nevada, and we had lived a half mile from the beach.

I don't miss it, I'm more of a Lake person and we spend a lot of the summer Rving at lakes. I also like having seasons.

If we miss the ocean, we just go camp there, and we have.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues