Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 AM

175 posts, read 1,485,443 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone- I am moving from the Midwest to California. I will be flying, and shipping my car and my household stuff. (I have NO desire to drive a giant truck for four days, plus I have pets I don't want to subject to being caged for four days). Apparently it takes 7-14 days for most companies to ship your own personal car that far, so I will have to rent. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried researching on the internet to find some good rental prices, but the lowest I am finding is about $30 a day!! That will really add up if I have to rent for 2 weeks. Are there other options I haven't considered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 01:18 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,868 times
Is this for an economy car? Seems high unless it includes all the taxes and surcharges. Have you searched for several locations, including both at the airport and not? What about calling them to see if you can get a deal for a long rental? Having your car shipped a few days before you move could minimize the time in your new location without a car, and while you are still around friends or co-workers, you could borrow one of their cars if needed.

You could also rent for a couple days at a time if you won't be using the car every day, and do all your errands, and then return the car.

Also, make sure if you end up renting a car for two weeks you could return it at the one week mark for no extra charge (if your car arrives earlier), as many places charge you extra for early return.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:09 PM

895 posts, read 4,247,796 times
I would try priceline.

Also -- keep in mind that they give you that window to cover themselves. I had a car shipped from Florida to California and it was picked up at 4PM on Friday afternoon and I got a call Monday morning that it was already in California. I had it picked up early on my end so that I would be without a car on the Florida end for a few days and then on the other end for a few days. We weren't scheduled to be there until five days later!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:52 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
I agree with the Priceline post. U can probably bid for half that $30 and do just the 7 days and do it again if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues