Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2023, 11:52 PM

690 posts, read 640,667 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Orange County, California and am planning to move to the DFW area of Texas. I live in a one bedroom apartment and will not be taking any furniture. Everything will be packed in boxes. I have 50-60 boxes (standard Uhaul sizes). My desire is to have everything moved into a storage facility (e.g. Public Storage, CubeSmart, etc).

My company doesn't care where I move (though they need to approve it) but I will need to pay for it. Once the move is approved I plan to fly out to TX to rent a storage unit with drive up access.

I am wondering, though, what the best way is to do this kind of move. I had thought of using a POD but haven't gotten consistent answers about putting a POD in a storage facility parking lot. My move is quite small compared to a full home.

I'd appreciate any advice on doing smaller moves like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 06:44 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Speaking from personal experience, you'll want to make sure to tape every edge of those boxes before you put them in a storage facility that has a pest protection program... especially in Texas. I expect they've got roaches in California, too... but they're like the national critter of Texas!

Old 01-17-2023, 07:11 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
I would think a pod would block access in a parking lot. Also, they need lots of room for the truck to load and unload that some places might not have. Why not let pods store it until you're ready to unload it?

Or

Rent a uhaul type truck and drive it out there yourself and unload it yourself ? Fly back to close out your old place and then drive your car (if you have one) to TX. Or get a truck with a car trailer and do it all at once (we did that).

Old 01-17-2023, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

I realized that a company I used years ago is still in business. I may look into them again as well.

https://minimoves.com/

Old 01-17-2023, 03:01 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Have you considered a U-Box from U-Haul? They can be delivered on a dolly by a pickup truck so they don't need hardly any space for delivery. You can even do self delivery and pickup. When loaded, your items are transported as is in that container to your destination. It can also be stored, intact, until you need the items or relocate them into a storage facility. Many Uhaul storage locations will give some freebee or discount on storage units if you are unloading from a Ubox into one of their storage rooms.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:06 PM

Thank you!

Old 01-18-2023, 04:53 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,723 times
50-60 boxes? You could probably get rid of most of that stuff and buy new for what it'll cost to move and store it.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:44 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I have never heard of Upack, but looks interesting:

https://www.upack.com/

Definitely tape ALL seams, not just across the top. Yeah, I have seen TX roaches!

Research your choice of storage facilities VERY carefully. Read every review you can find. Ask about pest management. Also, if your things will be there in the heat, think carefully about those items.

Old 01-27-2023, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
50-60 boxes? You could probably get rid of most of that stuff and buy new for what it'll cost to move and store it.
I've been purging lots of things for a while. I'm down to about 25% of what I've had. It feels good! The remaining stuff are things like photos, pictures, books, computer gear, etc. I am going to continue to purge but I will need to bring some things.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:01 PM

899 posts, read 671,964 times
We left Dallas and moved to Arkansas last June. My wife looked at PODS but decided against it. For one thing it was expensive. For another, if you put one on the street to load as you go, you need a permit. In your driveway would be fine---but on the street, you need a permit it seems. Our garage opened onto the alley and it was way too tight back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues