Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 05:22 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,645,929 times

Advertisements

You said it right in your last point - you have too much stuff. Downsize and it will be less of a hassle.

If its too hard to part with your stuff that has no more use but you sentimentally hold onto it, watch some You Tube videos on how to defeat that. Hint - hold each item in your hand for one minute or less, then decide - keep, toss or give away.. dont put it aside to think about it later. dont start to read old letters you find, or keepsakes, or start reading books and stuff, you will not be able to continue downsizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2023, 05:30 PM

8,094 posts, read 10,694,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
We downsized too. Two years later, we still have a storage unit in our new location. Still, I gave away too much. I gave away my cotton curtains only to realize that I needed them! It's been hard and expensive to find quality 100% cotton curtains. There were kitchen tools that I miss like my mandoline slicer and serving bowls. It was a huge mistake on my part.

Marie Kondo was wrong.
I made that exact mistake about 15 years ago when I had to make a cross country nove, and I have posted about it before. I felt overwhelmed and gave too much away.

I STILL regret things I gave away before the move. They weren't all things I necessarily HAD to have, but many of the things were just things I liked, things I had picked up at flea markets etc., and some furniture that was older and well made that you could NEVER buy now.

Next move I'm just going to get a bigger moving truck.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:37 AM

14 posts, read 14,436 times
Thanks everyone for all your helpful responses! We're trying to ease into the move - I would look for a house in a heartbeat, but my in-laws are in our current state so we really need to make sure a permanent move makes sense before my husband will be willing to leave for good. We've already made several short trips (1 week) to GA and I'm convinced, but he needs to spend more time there.

As for the dogs, I did find a furnished rental that would take both of them for a reasonable deposit, which was shocking (that was months ago and of course it's not available now). Unlike years ago, it does seem that more places are willing to take dogs, but I definitely do need to check breed restrictions. Our homeowner's carrier removed GSDs from the crap list but I'm not sure all carriers have.

The other thing - for those of you who have done a trial run - is getting driver's licenses in the new state. I hadn't thought that through and it looks like it's a requirement if you're there more than 30 days. Tangling with the DMV is always fun. And to register my daughter for school, I need to show a lease with at least a 3-month term - no problem there, but they need a utility bill as proof of residence and won't accept anything else. Not sure what that will mean if the rent includes utilities :-/ Lots to figure out.

Old 04-26-2023, 03:43 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 16 days ago)

16,134 posts, read 21,276,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Along these same lines, can someone on the thread tell me how you rent a house if you don't have a new job in the place you are relocating to yet? Like the OP, I want to check out my new area first for a while before making a new home purchase, and I will be job hunting once I arrive.

I have enough cash to cover rent for an entire year if necessary and could pay that up front, but I have found that most places want income, not cash up front.

Looked into extended stay hotels and Airbnb's, but the prices are absurd.

Maybe look into corporate housing, usually more than a regular apt rental, because it's fully furnished, but less than a hotel. They typically require at least a one month stay, sometimes longer. They can be located in apt complexes, units in private residences, or converted units at hotels/motels.

When I made a 700 mile relocation I used a unit that typically rented to traveling nurses, located in a historic home in a lovely residential neighborhood, paid by the month, for two months. I just looked at their website, current rental there for a 1bed/1 bath is 1,500 -1,900 monthly compared to local extended stay hotels @ roughly 80-100 nightly

Houses may be another matter as far as pricing but the option is out there to explore.
https://www.corporatehousingbyowner.com/

Old 04-26-2023, 08:07 AM

9,940 posts, read 7,835,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianneb77 View Post
Thanks everyone for all your helpful responses! We're trying to ease into the move - I would look for a house in a heartbeat, but my in-laws are in our current state so we really need to make sure a permanent move makes sense before my husband will be willing to leave for good. We've already made several short trips (1 week) to GA and I'm convinced, but he needs to spend more time there.

As for the dogs, I did find a furnished rental that would take both of them for a reasonable deposit, which was shocking (that was months ago and of course it's not available now). Unlike years ago, it does seem that more places are willing to take dogs, but I definitely do need to check breed restrictions. Our homeowner's carrier removed GSDs from the crap list but I'm not sure all carriers have.

The other thing - for those of you who have done a trial run - is getting driver's licenses in the new state. I hadn't thought that through and it looks like it's a requirement if you're there more than 30 days. Tangling with the DMV is always fun. And to register my daughter for school, I need to show a lease with at least a 3-month term - no problem there, but they need a utility bill as proof of residence and won't accept anything else. Not sure what that will mean if the rent includes utilities :-/ Lots to figure out.
I don't know, your posts have so many red flags. Your husband is reluctant to make the move, he doesn't want to downsize, you want to ease into the move, you have too much stuff, two big dogs, a teenager, lol.

This just seems like a very expensive hassle to try out whether you want to really move or not. If you do a short term rental, everything you change will have to be changed again. What if you give away all your winter items only to have your husband want to move back? What if your child loves the new school and then you force them to move again to a new school?

I missed the part about your jobs. Are you both working remote?

Moving cross country is a very big change. We've done it. Everyone needs to be committed and on board with a long list of things to take care of/set up for it to go successfully. It's a great adventure for a family. Why not commit for 5 years instead of 6 months?

Old 04-27-2023, 12:12 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,140,923 times
I would suggest trying out the new town for a year, or at least a whole school year. That way your daughter doesn't need to do two schools in one year. That would be pretty rough on a teenager.

One thing to help convince your SO about downsizing and cleaning out a lot of unnecessary household goods/items... get an estimate for what you have now from your local moving and storage company. Then ask them for a quote if you got rid of say 50% of the stuff. It may be significant $$ more/less. Since his parents are in the current area, can you store some items he can't part with, with them for the six months to a year?

Old 04-29-2023, 08:10 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,238,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
I would suggest trying out the new town for a year, or at least a whole school year. That way your daughter doesn't need to do two schools in one year. That would be pretty rough on a teenager.

One thing to help convince your SO about downsizing and cleaning out a lot of unnecessary household goods/items... get an estimate for what you have now from your local moving and storage company. Then ask them for a quote if you got rid of say 50% of the stuff. It may be significant $$ more/less. Since his parents are in the current area, can you store some items he can't part with, with them for the six months to a year?
I agree with two schools in one year is going to be extremely stressful.

After a full year in new our new house, I finally hired a mover to clear out our rented storage unit. Our furniture and clothing is already in place. It's going to be easier to figure out what we can keep and what needs to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues