Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:56 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,081,174 times

Advertisements

I'm glad there are people who have done this, just in case I end up in the same boat. I've been in Texas from WA for 8 months. Just really got settled...my job is going permanent in a few weeks, and that makes me feel like I really accomplished some things and also makes me feel like it would be harder, or just dumb, to move back if I decide to.

I've thought about moving to Dallas since 2003 and while I don't regret it, I can't say we will stay here forever. My kids have not fallen in love with TX and won't care (one would be pretty happy) if we moved back. I have mixed feelings about it and feel like we need to stay for at least another year before I start trying to move us back if that's what I'm going to do.

I'm not hankering to get back...there are some things I don't miss at all about Seattle that almost depress me to think about, but I have considered moving back in the future.

As far as a timeline on how long it would take me to actually move back, I don't think it would be long. Having most of my family there to help out if we need a place to stay until I got a new job and all that. I generally have the most money around tax refund time, so if I planned it even a couple months ahead, I'm sure I could be gone within that time.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 14,424 times
I am so relieved to have found this thread! I thought my DH and I were the only crazy people who have moved back and forth between the east and west coast 3x so far....

We are back on the east coast because of family ( "guilt"). My DH is orig from Ca and Im from NY so their always seems ot be a tug of war. We both agree that we love the cali lifestyle and want to be back there. Our marriage seems to be better, we love the weather and we always seem truly happy. Despite knowing all this, when I am there I miss NY and my family and the pizza etc.

I get this idealized version of ho wlife could be life in my head and then before I know it we are packing boxes! We are trying to get back out to CA but of course with th eeconomy and job market that is very difficult.

We have been here almost a year and looks like another one may be on the horizon so we will sit tight until that time comes.

I cant wait to tell my DH how many people are in the same boat!

So until we move again......

Old 06-19-2009, 09:50 AM

257 posts, read 1,441,191 times
I've moved from Whitby Ontario, to Vancouver and grew to love it.
From Vancouver to Keller TX (Fortworth Dallas area) and loved it.
Then Keller back to Whitby, liked it (got used to the better weather elsewhere)
now from Whitby to Los angeles, this one is scarry as LA is soooo much $$$$$

Give it time. I look for the positives of where I go. I think I may be a bit more adaptable than most people though???

Old 06-19-2009, 01:54 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,657,883 times
Since I retired I moved from SE PA to the mountains of PA, to the shore in DE, to the mountains in NC, to upstate SC, back to PA, to the mountains of TN, the the shores of NC, and now I am going back to the mountains of TN.
I have learned that no amount of research will give you all the information you need. Only by living in an area will you know if it is right for you. However, after spending a lot of effort and money to find the best place I find that it is me that is changing and a childhood song keeps playing in my head, "the bear went over the mountain, to see what he could see, he saw another mountain....." So as long as I am able I want to see what's over the next mountain.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:36 PM

375 posts, read 908,410 times
Love this thread!!

I 'ran away' from a bad situation last year, from a small beach town to the mountains. I miss the beach SOO much!! I am not going back to exactly the same area, but I HAVE to live near a beach - I am selling EVERYTHING just to go back!!

I just can't be this far away from the ocean, I just feel like I am trapped!

thanks for the inpur

Old 07-12-2009, 04:15 PM

845 posts, read 2,736,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I have learned that no amount of research will give you all the information you need. Only by living in an area will you know if it is right for you. However, after spending a lot of effort and money to find the best place I find that it is me that is changing and a childhood song keeps playing in my head, "the bear went over the mountain, to see what he could see, he saw another mountain....." So as long as I am able I want to see what's over the next mountain.
This cannot be more true. Before I moved to Portland, I heard and read so many good things about it that I was certain it would be my last move. Even though I am young, I was expecting to settle down here. When I arrived I immediately got a bad vibe from the city. I have been living here for 3 years trying to learn to love it but it is not happening. So after 3 years I am returning to Florida, a place I never thought I would live in again. Who knew I would miss it so much.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:50 PM

5,459 posts, read 12,193,813 times
I moved to WA (Seattle) from TX about 4 years ago. I was in WA on temp assignment for about 6 weeks so I thought I knew what I was getting into. When I first moved to WA I was very excited and did my best to make it my home, get out and do new things, see new places, faces, etc., and although it has been a great career move, something just isn't fitting here for me. After 3 years of trying, I decided to stop trying to shove a square peg in a round fitting. For the past year I've traveled to several states/places I thought I'd like to live on a sort of exploratory deal, and have since the beginning of the year, been applying for jobs in TX and OK (which are my top choices, KY, IN, and TN being runners up). It's been difficult because I've really tried to make it work here, but it just isn't. Because of the job market, it's been hard for me to find anything long distance, although I have had about 3 phone interviews so far. Unfortunately, the economy is hitting home now and our hours are being reduced to part time. I hesitate to move back to TX or OK without a job lined up and with our work reduction here, it seems like the writing is on the wall. I've been trying to outrun time, so to speak, knowing for a while I've wanted to leave here and trying to make that happen but having the economy catch up with me. I'm sure it will all work out in the end but sometimes it's hard to be positive about it. I'll be glad when I can leave WA for good.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:07 PM

93 posts, read 437,267 times
Moved to Atlanta from Viriginia over eight years ago and am looking to move back now, but only because of family reasons. We love Atlanta and probably would not have moved if we hadn't wanted to be back closer to family.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:30 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,121,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
Love this thread!!

I 'ran away' from a bad situation last year, from a small beach town to the mountains. I miss the beach SOO much!! I am not going back to exactly the same area, but I HAVE to live near a beach - I am selling EVERYTHING just to go back!!

I just can't be this far away from the ocean, I just feel like I am trapped!

thanks for the inpur
i am currently in same situation--will be raising money to return--i am living proof that you can't go home again(childhood home-that is)

Old 07-17-2009, 04:42 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,478,358 times
I am also feeling the same way... I am not from the area I am missing terribly right now,but lived there for many,many years. We lived near the Chesapeake Bay for many years and not far from the ocean resorts in MD or DE. We are now living in SE PA and although we are not far from these places, I am missing them terribly right now. I wish I could go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues