Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,300,972 times

Advertisements

I still hope to one day move back to the US, in the meantime I make do here in Europe...

Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,045,740 times
Did any of you really want to move to a place before you moved? Like dreamed about living there first and then hated it once you got there?
I grew up on Cape Cod, MA, moved when I was in my teens to Phoenix with my parents. I have lived here for 20 years and it has become my home but have always had the yearning to move back to the Cape. I look at old pics and homes back there and can't wait to get back there.
Now we are moving in Feb back to the Cape! I'm excited but starting to wonder if it isn't going to be what I thought it was when I was young. A lot of people think I'm crazy for moving from the desert to the East coast. They are always telling me I will hate it after the first winter and they all want to move to the desert.
People have called me crazy for so long I'm wondering if I should be listening. lol

I want to just "go for it", but...............these stories have got me thinking a bit...........
Anyone move from a desert climate to a moist cooler climate and like it?
It's a far move, and I am only really concerned about the weather. But that seems to make it or break it for a lot of people.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM

Does "no reply" mean I am crazy????????
ha ha ha ha

Old 08-06-2009, 03:48 PM

1,179 posts, read 3,795,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Did any of you really want to move to a place before you moved? Like dreamed about living there first and then hated it once you got there?
I grew up on Cape Cod, MA, moved when I was in my teens to Phoenix with my parents. I have lived here for 20 years and it has become my home but have always had the yearning to move back to the Cape. I look at old pics and homes back there and can't wait to get back there.
Now we are moving in Feb back to the Cape! I'm excited but starting to wonder if it isn't going to be what I thought it was when I was young. A lot of people think I'm crazy for moving from the desert to the East coast. They are always telling me I will hate it after the first winter and they all want to move to the desert.
People have called me crazy for so long I'm wondering if I should be listening. lol

I want to just "go for it", but...............these stories have got me thinking a bit...........
Anyone move from a desert climate to a moist cooler climate and like it?
It's a far move, and I am only really concerned about the weather. But that seems to make it or break it for a lot of people.
I moved from cooler climate (OR) to the desert 10-11 years ago for husbands job. We've moved from Tucson, to Irvine CA, and then to where I'm at now in Palm Springs area. At first I liked the desert (Tucson anyway) but here I'm really getting sick of the heat, and would love to move to somewhere cooler. We always moved for jobs, so I've never had the fun and excitement of moving somewhere just because it calls to you. I hope to do that someday. If I can't get back to Oregon soon where family is, I really have a hankering for the Davis/Sacramento area. Don't know why.
Think you should think about doing it. If it doesn't work out at least you tried it. If you don't you may look back and wonder "what if" in the future.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:39 AM

Yea, thats what I'm more afraid of, the "what if" I don't. lol
I love Davis Ca. Good luck on that, one day I hope. Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 AM

22,189 posts, read 29,164,497 times
I moved from Miami, FL to Charlotte, NC 1.5 years ago and am heading back to Miami at the end of the month..

Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM

44 posts, read 114,513 times
We moved to Texas three months ago, and I HATE it. No sorta/kinda mixed feelings. It never rains, the temps are hotter than ___, and the people are phony-friendly (like, they'll say hello and tell you how much you'll love it here, but NEVER invite you over.) I miss my S Florida beaches and breezes, my friends, the streets I know so well, genuinely friendly people and RAIN! It NEVER RAINS HERE! Not once in three months!

Problem is, my husband got a great job, so we are stuck here. I gave up my job to come, and have not been able to find one here.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:23 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,302,576 times
Why do people move far away from their hometown and then complain that they don't like it? Didn't they realize that nothing will be familiar? You left for some reason and that reason is still back there where you left it.
I know some people who have moved to get away from something but they don't realize that they are bringing that something with them. Their unhappiness has nothing to do with where they live they are just unhappy with their lives no matter where they happen to be living.

Certainly there are people who moved from a temperate state to the deep South are going to be unhappy with the weather but certainly they new what the weather was going to be like where they were moving.

I have visited Florida and Arizona a few times and I know I can't live there year round just like I could not live in Maine or Alaska.

You have to a little research before you move anyplace.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:19 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,413,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay39 View Post
We moved to Texas three months ago, and I HATE it. No sorta/kinda mixed feelings. It never rains, the temps are hotter than ___, and the people are phony-friendly (like, they'll say hello and tell you how much you'll love it here, but NEVER invite you over.) I miss my S Florida beaches and breezes, my friends, the streets I know so well, genuinely friendly people and RAIN! It NEVER RAINS HERE! Not once in three months!

Problem is, my husband got a great job, so we are stuck here. I gave up my job to come, and have not been able to find one here.
Sorry that you are having such a horrible time there - where in TX are you? I found SW TX to be friendlier than SE TX - but in both area's the best places I found to make friends was church. - As far as the rain - TX is in a severe drought - Good Luck.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 PM

688 posts, read 1,242,651 times
[quote=Luke9686;9876478]I joined the military and moved away from Iowa in 2001, with every intention of moving back. I did my four years, got out and moved back home (Iowa) for about 6 months. I found out how much I had grown in those 4 years, and nothing had changed back home, so I went back in and moved away. I honestly don't think I could ever move back. It seems different now. Everything has stayed the same, but something is different. Just can't put my finger on it. Honestly, I think I'm the one who is different, and everything else stayed the same.

Iowa is always home, but I doubt I will ever move back.[/quote

Luke-perhaps it is just the Iowa connection but I know EXACTLY what you mean. Iowa/Nebraska will always, always be "home", but could I ever move back? So much has changed, inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues