Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM

130 posts, read 317,260 times

Advertisements

Thank you both for your kindness, I am very thankful for your sweet words. You've given me such inspiration! thank you!

Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,809 times
Born in raised in Colorado moved to FL-I never thought I could hate a state so much-I can't wait to move back to Denver...I miss the snow-I miss a lot ( I don't want to offend so I won't go into details).....

Old 10-21-2011, 03:47 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,496 times
a lot of you northerners think the weather is great down the south. Wrongo! Its miserable heat that will drain you completely. Florida is nice and the ocean is beautiful. But living there year round...not to mention hurricanes. No way.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
what a great thread!!

i am a native houstonian .... with substantial time also in the rockport area of the coastal bend..... moved here in 1986.... my first marriage was falling apart and the oil bidness had CRASHED, making employment in texas an even more difficult prospect than it is most everywhere else now......

liked it and did pretty well here for 10-15 years or so.... started and ran a successful business with my 2nd husband and was doing ok.... but even then, the winters were tough on me.... not the cold and snow, so much... but the endless day after day after day after day after day of gray dead skies.... no sun at ALL for a couple of weeks at a time.....

i moved my mother here from south texas in 1998 and had she not been doing so poorly in a nursing home when the 2nd husband and i split in 2004 and he bought me out of the business in 2005, i would have hightailed it back to south texas right then and there..... my mom finally passed in late 2006, but by then the economy was beginning to tank and i was trying to get back on my feet after nearly a year of unemployment.....

so, here i am still... dreading another long gray winter.... stuck with a house that i suspect i have lost ALL equity in and struggling with a business i started with a friend after being so unsuccessful in finding employment from 2005 - 2006....

i know i am luckier than a LOT of people right now.... i have a house and am making my bills and taking care of what needs taking care of.....

but my heart is in south texas and i long to return.......

Old 10-22-2011, 09:05 AM

414 posts, read 1,019,790 times
This is kind of the story of my life. When I was 17, we moved Albuquerque, NM to Illinois. I hated it, and always wanted to go back. I love the desert, flaws included. Last year when I was 22 I did an internship in Utah. Loved it. After it ended, some pretty horrific family stuff happened and I decided to live close to home for a while, so I took a job in Michigan. Hate it (both the location and the job). Since the family is pretty much fine now, I am planning on moving back to Utah again.

The cost in this case is that I'm trading a paid position to an expenses-only-paid internship. But hey, if that means I'll be happy I'm cool with that, plus there's a decent chance it'll eventually land me into a paid job. I'm lucky because I have very few responsibilities at this point and can get away with moving- I really feel for you who have your own family to take care of.

Now I just have to grit my teeth and bear with this job for another 8 weeks, and then wait til February or so when I can move back to a place I love. 4 months!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
This is kind of the story of my life. When I was 17, we moved Albuquerque, NM to Illinois. I hated it, and always wanted to go back. I love the desert, flaws included. Last year when I was 22 I did an internship in Utah. Loved it. After it ended, some pretty horrific family stuff happened and I decided to live close to home for a while, so I took a job in Michigan. Hate it (both the location and the job). Since the family is pretty much fine now, I am planning on moving back to Utah again.

The cost in this case is that I'm trading a paid position to an expenses-only-paid internship. But hey, if that means I'll be happy I'm cool with that, plus there's a decent chance it'll eventually land me into a paid job. I'm lucky because I have very few responsibilities at this point and can get away with moving- I really feel for you who have your own family to take care of.

Now I just have to grit my teeth and bear with this job for another 8 weeks, and then wait til February or so when I can move back to a place I love. 4 months!

i moved to michigan a few months ago myself....cant say i hate it but i am getting homesick. hope i can survive through the winter. I hear its tough

Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
a lot of you northerners think the weather is great down the south. Wrongo! Its miserable heat that will drain you completely. Florida is nice and the ocean is beautiful. But living there year round...not to mention hurricanes. No way.

I moved here for a job and got married-my other half has lived her 10 years due to family moving to FL...trust me I didn't want to move here...I'd take Colorado any day-

Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,348 times
First time it was about 3 years, went from here to a city, then back here for awhile

Second time was about 2 years, went from here to rural throes near same city as before, loved it & maybe would still be there had the economic situation worked out, who knows

Third time I never actually moved but shopped around hard for a new location for about a year before deciding to knock it off and be SusqueHappy

I guess it would depend on how much you liked your native land combined with your personal pain threshold

Old 10-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I moved here for a job and got married-my other half has lived her 10 years due to family moving to FL...trust me I didn't want to move here...I'd take Colorado any day-
yes I hear they have snow there today...must be nice

Old 01-06-2012, 11:33 AM

313 posts, read 727,895 times
I have moved several places after being born and raised in San Diego, CA, some due to a young-age military marriage, the rest due to just plain restlessness, wanting change. However, this last time, San Diego to Massachusetts, was for family, in theory. Both my parents had passed, my brothers had all moved away years ago, and once my only sister died in the summer of 2010, I felt like I just had no one left in San Diego.

My mother's huge family in Boston beckoned, we had visited several times and loved it, and I thought it would give my daughter a chance to finish growing up with family. We made the move in March 2011, with promises of how my many male cousins would be over all the time helping with the older "needs some work" house that I bought, and we would "never be lonely - dinners, shopping, movies". Actually, once we got here, I have yet to see a male cousin show up to help with most of the work (with one exception, bless him, but he is super busy); I am completely overwhelmed dealing with the house all by myself, and we only really see everyone else on holidays. They are too busy with their own lives, kids, friends, plans, and most of the cousin-parents have their kids too busy to have any time for their newly-arrived cousin. I kind of feel like an idiot having made this move. I miss home, and this has not turned out as I had hoped.

Last edited by westwind15; 01-06-2012 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues