Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 03:13 PM

13 posts, read 12,168 times

Advertisements

I will be towing a vehicle with a 15' Uhaul truck for 2 days. I am worried about where/how to sleep. Heard bad things about Uhaul trucks being broken into at hotels. I will of course padlock the box and chain/lock the trailer to the truck but what else can I do to get some sleep and not have the truck stolen or broken into? Pull the fuel injection relay. But that won't stop someone from towing it away. Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited by Rocko9999; 07-19-2023 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 04:09 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko9999 View Post
I will be towing a vehicle with a 15' Uhaul truck for 2 days. I am worried about where/how to sleep. Heard bad things about Uhaul trucks being broken into at hotels. I will of course padlock the box and chain/lock the trailer to the truck but what else can I do to get some sleep and not have the truck stolen or broken into? Pull the fuel injection relay. But that won't stop someone from towing it away. Anyone have experience with this?
Ask the hotel if they have a more secure, monitored, or well lighted spot to park the truck. Somewhere with more activity or where employees might have a better chance to spot someone tampering with it. Other ideas:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/artic...-truck-secure/

https://revolar.com/prevent-u-haul-theft/

Old 07-20-2023, 09:45 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Absolutely plan your hotel stays in advance. Contact hotels near where you are planning on staying and ensure you can park in a well lighted area hopefully right in front and right near the main entrance. You can use google maps and street level view to see what the hotel parking situation looks like. You can also research and pick lower crime cities on your route to spend the night in, or at least lower crime neighborhoods. Also, contact your insurance company(s) to ensure you are covered during your move and get their recommendation for a safe and crime-free movement of your goods.

We all hear the bad stories of break ins and thefts, but the vast majority of moves go through without a hitch. Good Luck.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Absolutely plan your hotel stays in advance. Contact hotels near where you are planning on staying and ensure you can park in a well lighted area hopefully right in front and right near the main entrance. You can use google maps and street level view to see what the hotel parking situation looks like. You can also research and pick lower crime cities on your route to spend the night in, or at least lower crime neighborhoods. Also, contact your insurance company(s) to ensure you are covered during your move and get their recommendation for a safe and crime-free movement of your goods.

We all hear the bad stories of break ins and thefts, but the vast majority of moves go through without a hitch. Good Luck.
Thanks. I will start checking out the parking lots. Tough part about towing a vehicle is you can't back up against a wall as I have seen recommended.

Old 07-21-2023, 09:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I always sleep in the truck, even when driving for others.

Not that it is safer.... But I know I won't sleep well in a hotel, so might as well be ready to pull out when I feel like it. After 2 hrs or 10 hours.

Old 07-21-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I always sleep in the truck, even when driving for others.

Not that it is safer.... But I know I won't sleep well in a hotel, so might as well be ready to pull out when I feel like it. After 2 hrs or 10 hours.
I have considered that. Problem is it's 100F+ where we will end up the first night.

Old 07-21-2023, 01:07 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
One option is to think outside the box. Check the various RV campgrounds along your route that offers cabins, trailers or other fixed accommodations, most with air conditioning. Many have embraced temp travelers with DIY moving vans by having areas set up just for this. You may have to call around but they are out there. If your traveling in hot areas, those campgrounds may be very accommodating as they could only have a handful of actual RVers staying.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:55 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I've been concerned about that too, but concluded it's just stuff. I guess I don't hold a lot of value on material items.

Maybe stick the most valuable stuff in the car, to bring into the hotel? Or, pay a security service?

I will add that I was able to see my vehicle from the hotel room. Not that I was going to sit by the window all night, but if you had a security person, you might see if they are out there, doing their job.

Old 07-24-2023, 03:57 PM

126 posts, read 146,890 times
Default Idea

Quote:
I understand your concerns, we moved last year and had to figure out safe locations for parking the moving truck. This is what we did:
1)First night we slept at a VRBO which was a farm (our room was a nice place above the garage of the main home). Parked the truck on the farm property and had no issues.
2)Second night at another VRBO (another town/state) parked the truck at a nearby storage facility that had a secured/gated RV/boat parking behind the storage units. And the storage attendant lived on the premises.
We had no issues.
Note: this VRBO was off a narrow one lane street and had a regular 2 car garage which we used to park our car, and it did not have any street parking nearby for the truck. For obvious reasons, we would not have felt safe parking the truck 2 blocks away.

Good luck and hope you have a safe drive to your new place.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:27 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,052 times
We drove an F150 Super Crew pulling a trailer with a kayak and two bicycles on it. The F150 was completely loaded too leaving just enough room for our vizsla in the backseat. Three days, 1800 miles.

I took the bikes off each night and the kayak had a lasso lock on it. We also brought a few things inside, mostly valuables and sidearms. At each selected hotel, we either parked close to the room or in a spot with lots of lights. In Jackson MS, we parked behind the hotel which faced the police station parking lot. The desk clerks were always helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues