Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:12 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,281,116 times

Advertisements

well i called and got a quote from pods..2500.00 dollars to go from upstate ny to south carolina. not to bad considering i don't have to drive some junker of a truck a 1000 miles for 1600.00 dollars plus gas plus deposit..i already went through that crap when i made a move from nh to ny and won't make that mistake again.. this way i get to drive my own vehicle and be comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:35 AM

656 posts, read 1,305,747 times
I'm glad that this thread was started because we are going to be moving and are thinking of using pods or something like it. we called and got a quote and they seem cheaper than Uhaul. unless there is some hidden fee that they didn't disclose.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 AM

657 posts, read 1,783,242 times
what size pod is that 2500 for?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 PM

153 posts, read 311,709 times
I'm also glad this thread is here. I want to use PODs or something like it. I'm also looking at Box-n-Go and Door to Door. Everyone has said such great things about PODs, but when I contacted their customer service with my questions, I couldn't get a straight answer out of them.

I'll let you know what I find out. Keep in touch, so we can compare notes.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Box n Go

Turns out they are a local business (Southern California) and don't do out of state moves. So much for them.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,383,204 times
I know someone that just moved using PODS competitor Pack Rat, PACK-RAT Portable Storage for Self-Storage and Moving - 1-800-PACK-RAT They used this way because their new house isn't ready yet, so they are renting for now, they took a U-Haul though with the basics they need for the next few months. So their stuff is stored in the Pack-Rat pods till the house is ready.

I think this is a great way to move, you don't have to worry about any hidden charges when you get to your new destination.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the tip on PACK-RAT, but they aren't available in all states.

I looked at Door-to-Door. They only have one size of containers 5' wide x 7' tall x 8' deep. Where I live it would be difficult to have two of them delivered. And they don't look very secure. Any body ever used them?

Old 08-14-2008, 02:39 PM

248 posts, read 803,384 times
Wink PODS vs. proffesional moving company

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
well i called and got a quote from pods..2500.00 dollars to go from upstate ny to south carolina. not to bad considering i don't have to drive some junker of a truck a 1000 miles for 1600.00 dollars plus gas plus deposit..i already went through that crap when i made a move from nh to ny and won't make that mistake again.. this way i get to drive my own vehicle and be comfortable.
That does save some money and hassle - is a proffessional moving company any cheaper you think? Some offer an option where they can pack your stuff up, and load it into the truck and drive it to you new location... or you can pack and they load and move... or you pack and load and they just move it! My new mother in law chose the 3rd of those options and is moving across out to WA this week. This way she can enjoy the move with my father in law across and I think it was around 5,000. (That is from NC -> WA state).

Just an option I want to throw out there... I think PODS are good if you are doing a local or short(er) distance move... it does get pricer (obviously) for a longer move.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Talking except no other

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
what size pod is that 2500 for?

it's the biggest one...16'x 8' x 8'.... it's big, you can walk right into it with a fidge no problem. i was told if you pack good you can get a 3 bedroom house into it.....

Old 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM

Talking no uhaul thankyou very much...i'm good

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzmjp View Post
That does save some money and hassle - is a proffessional moving company any cheaper you think? Some offer an option where they can pack your stuff up, and load it into the truck and drive it to you new location... or you can pack and they load and move... or you pack and load and they just move it! My new mother in law chose the 3rd of those options and is moving across out to WA this week. This way she can enjoy the move with my father in law across and I think it was around 5,000. (That is from NC -> WA state).

Just an option I want to throw out there... I think PODS are good if you are doing a local or short(er) distance move... it does get pricer (obviously) for a longer move.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

we decided to go with pods cause it makes it easier then renting a uhaul.. we did that when we moved from nh to ny and never again... just for the hell of it i called to get a quote on a uhaul and it was going to be 1800.00 bucks for this move plus you need to pay for fuel... so it's going to come out about the same except with pods we get to drive our van which we would have to tow and add to the already huge exspence and we have six cat's...there is no way on gods green earth i' am driving a uhaul with six cat's in the cab for 1000 miles...lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues