Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:52 PM

451 posts, read 835,576 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are planning to move to Irving from southern California at the end of February. I wanted to see if anyone has input about moving that distance. This is the first time for us. We will be staying in a hotel while waiting for the movers to arrive. We will also be flying there with our two cats.

We would love advice on how to find the right movers and getting the best deal, tips on making sure our stuff arrives in good condition and flying with pets.

Thank you for your time and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are planning to move to Irving from southern California at the end of February. I wanted to see if anyone has input about moving that distance. This is the first time for us. We will be staying in a hotel while waiting for the movers to arrive. We will also be flying there with our two cats.

We would love advice on how to find the right movers and getting the best deal, tips on making sure our stuff arrives in good condition and flying with pets.

Thank you for your time and help!
Hi Sprinter,

we are moving from MD to TX in a couple months. What we did is call maybe 5 moving companies and get them to give us estimates. We are narrowing it down and think we have the one we like best and the best deal.

as for your question of how much, too hard to say from here, most go by weight and I'm sure distance plays a factor as well. I can tell you after pricing Uhauls (I was going to do it myself) I found the moving compaines to be suprisingly reasonable. In fact I wouldnt really save ANY money doing it myself.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:23 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
I recently went through a survey of moving companies and found two California based companies to have good references and reasonable estimates; Hercules and Moovers.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,716 times
What is the appox cost of moving say a 4Bdr 2000 sq/ft home from Socal to Dallas. I've been told everything from 5k to 15k.

I think I'd sell alot of my furniture before I'd pay 15k to move it. That's nuts.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:05 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,338 times
I have gotten email quotes for about 40 cents per pound coming from NY.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,055 times
I've had the Navy move us several times, and it was always a nightmare. (The Navy contracts with commercial companies.) It usually took Navy Legal threatening to blackball the movers before they would resolve our issues. I realize that part of that issue is the lowest bidder effect, but it's turned me off from commercial movers. When we moved from SC to Texas, we moved ourselves. It took two U-Haul trucks, one 26' and one 24', plus the two tow dollys to get our vehicles here. But it only costs us $1500 to do it ourselves.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:31 PM

6 posts, read 50,306 times
Hi,

We are looking into the same thing. On another forum, I heard about a company called ABF U-Pack. Look them up. It seems that everyone on the forum had nothing but great things to say. We were thinking of U-Haul, but I believe that ABF will be a much less expensive route & no driving the truck.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2007, 08:12 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,425,635 times
We just got done moving my Mom out here from Northern California and did it ourselves. We had help from the grandkids to help pack the big Penske truck (she rented a 26') and we drove (am planning on doing a trip report when I get back to California).

She had quotes of upwards of 10K to move and we did it counting hotels etc, about 3500 max. That includes all gas, hotels, snickey snacks etc. We took four days because we had my 2yr old and didn't want her stuck in a car that long.

We looked at ABF as well which we may do when we are able to finally move, but will probably drive out ourselves.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:31 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,181 times
We Moved From Ca To Hi,... After Checking With A Ton Of Movers Just To Get Our Stuff To The Dock,(70 Miles) We Decided To Sell Everything We Own, I Mailed Thru Usps 40 Boxes For $1200....then When We Got To Hawaii I Got To Shop For All New Stuff That Would Work In The House We Bought!(i Looked For Things That People Were Trying To Sell The Same Way We Did And Got Some Awesome Furniture, Inexpensive!) It Was Really An Adventure And Lots Of Fun To Redecorate...the Reason This Worked For Us, Is That, We Did Scale Down In House Size A Bit, As We Didn't Get Full Price For The Things We Sold...although, I Was Surprised At The Amount We Did Make, It Was A Lot More That We Thought Originally That We Would Get For Our Things! We Are Going To Move To Dallas In A Year And Plan On Doing The Move The Same Way Again!...good Luck!!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:16 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,716 times
Terrie,

I like your method, but my wife disagrees. She wants to keep everything.

Things I've been dying to throw away....she now wants to move.

Since moving myself is right up there with pulling wisdom teeth and removing wallpaper....I need to find some pricing on decent movers that will move a subset of the stuff I own.

The rest will go to goodwill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues