U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 10:03 PM

238 posts, read 1,193,350 times

Advertisements

Hi...Has anyone stored furniture with the company that has moved you? We have to put our things in storage for a few months while we wait for our home to be built (in another state). We are debating moving our stuff to the area we are moving to & putting it in one or two of those self storage units, then move it in when the home is ready OR having the company that moves us store it until we are ready to move in. Does anyone have any experience doing something similar? Which way did you do it? How much was the storage fee with the moving company, if you don't mind sharing?
Thanks very much...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 06:49 AM

15,997 posts, read 29,895,697 times
I haven't had the moving company store it but I have stored furniture myself in a heated/cooled storage unit. The place had a dehumidifier going also and seemed to be a nice place. I stored my stuff for about 9 months. My furniture did ok but I could tell that it needed some TLC after being stored. It appeared dried out and in need of a good oiling. I will try to avoid that again in the future as I don't think it is good for the furniture for very long.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:50 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,277,781 times
We used Store To Door... there are many companies like this... you load up the storage cubes... they pick them up, bring them to the storage facility, store them and then return them to you whan and where you are ready...you then unpack them at your home... they are returned just as you packed them- untouched. We had no problems with them at all. I am sure there will be something like this near you as they are becoming more popular.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:20 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,313,483 times
I have stored furniture when I moved here to FL. You really should store your furniture in a climate controlled storage facility so it doesn't get ruined.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:29 PM

3,871 posts, read 16,256,098 times
I've stored furniture both ways, with Allied Van Lines, and in Public Storage. Different circumstances; different needs; both were climate controlled.

I found the Allied storage perfect, and THEY did all the heavy lifting, record-keeping, etc. I don't remember the cost, and even though I wasn't rich I didn't care because I knew my possessions were well taken care of. When I had movers move my things to Public Storage, everything kept well there too. But of course I had to hire movers again to move them out...

I believe the cost with Allied would have been higher if, for example, I had stored for over 6 months, than it would have been at a place like Public Storage for over 6 months. But I liked the simplicity (for me) and tidyness of keeping the mover-move as a kind of "seamless" one-stop transaction.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:32 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,786,701 times
We just were quoted for storage while our home is being built. Sounds like a similar situation as you are in. We got quotes from United and Allied. They were running about $3000-4000 for the 5 month period we needed. The nice thing is that they will make a second delivery to the new house once completed.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 PM

238 posts, read 1,193,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
We just were quoted for storage while our home is being built. Sounds like a similar situation as you are in. We got quotes from United and Allied. They were running about $3000-4000 for the 5 month period we needed. The nice thing is that they will make a second delivery to the new house once completed.
Is the 3000-4000 quote for the move too or just the storage? May I ask approx how many rooms of furniture you will store and how far your move is?Thanks so much..we start calling for quotes tomorrow!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:22 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,786,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
Is the 3000-4000 quote for the move too or just the storage? May I ask approx how many rooms of furniture you will store and how far your move is?Thanks so much..we start calling for quotes tomorrow!
We are moving from CA to ID, about 900 miles. The storage is for about 10,000 lbs for about 5 months. I know it would be cheaper to have it delivered to an independent storage unit but then we have to worry about moving it from there to our new home. We are having a home built so that is why we are storing half our stuff until it is finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues