Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 PM

27 posts, read 157,283 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone might be willing to share their opinion on the following moving companies:

*Graebel
*North American Van Lines
*Clark & Reid
*Bekins (they came highly recommended but so far their representative has really been a jerk and keeps revising his estimate upward - I'm wondering if this is a shady company or just one bad apple - input appreciated!)

Also, does anyone have an opinion about using an authorized agent of a major company vs. using a company where everything is company owned?

Thanks so much!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:48 PM

5 posts, read 9,759 times
Have moved a couple of times in the past year and the estimate game seems to be the going thing.....too oily for us.....choose one that doesn't do that but not the cheapest!! Move u 4 less broke and lost half of our stuff on a long distance move..... Be careful!!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
I found a ton of info on moving companies on movingscam.com

They had a lot of ratings of moving companies by state.

I chose United/Corrigan. Had great reviews and so far the customer service is awesome. Haven't moved yet, I will post then. (move date is Aug. 7th)

Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 PM

27 posts, read 157,283 times
The Bekins guy's latest estimate includes moving more items of furniture than we own! He insists he is sticking with his estimate as accurate. So, obviously, Bekins is off the list. So, right now we are looking at the other companies.

I will check out movingscam.com - thanks for the information!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
Bekins was the moving company of "choice" for a company that I used to work for. We sold large medical instruments, which of course were very expensive and computer driven and sensitive. Bekins treated them like a load of cow manure. They literally pushed one off the back of a truck to a loading platform about 4 feet down! And basically all they did was say "oops".

I see they haven't gotten any better in the last 15 years!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:12 AM

102 posts, read 338,293 times
We moved a big 3 bedroom home with Corrigan from Michigan to Florida with no problems. They packed up everthing. and reassembled items upon delivery. Very courtious and only took 2 days to deliver. They did a walked thru and the estimate was a lot less than than other big movers. I would highly recommend them. Very professional.
Just used the Van 4 company mentioned, in previous post. Moved 1 bedroom apt back to Michigan. I was originally told that once items were on the truck they stayed there. This is not so. Guys first day on the job. showed up 3 hours late. I was to be called first thing this morning with the final weight, it's after 12 noon, and no call yet. Lots of boxes were moved. After reading they last post, I'm kinda nervous as to what will be delived on the receiving end.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I found a ton of info on moving companies on movingscam.com

They had a lot of ratings of moving companies by state.
found my movers with movingscams.com as well. Everything went very smoothly. The internet is an amazing tool

Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM

34 posts, read 112,906 times
I moved the contents of my NYC apartment to S.E. Minnesota via United Van Lines. The only broken/damaged item - one cracked cat dish. Everything arrived in perfect condition and on the date they said it would arrive.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:24 AM

34 posts, read 112,906 times
and forgot to say, I got estimates from three major moving companies. The representative from United Van Lines was the only one my cats liked - they actually choose United.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:33 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
The representative from United Van Lines was the only one my cats liked - they actually choose United.
So, can we assume that they forgave the cracked cat-food dish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues