U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 05:15 PM

8,545 posts, read 9,824,145 times

Advertisements

We are moving out of state in a few weeks and will be putting the majority of our home in storage for at least 6 months. Meaning wood furniture, dishes, books, linens, the whole she-bang.

Any suggestions for storing linens, especially, long term? How should I box these up? In a plastic bag then in a cardboard box, plastic containers? any help appreciated!

Also, I am worried about my bedroom set...we just got it 2 years ago, $4,000 worth of furniture I waited 30 years to get! Where we are now is extremely dry. Should I heavily wax or oil this stuff before storing it?

We have other wood furniture, but I am mainly concerned with that set.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 PM

2,195 posts, read 4,363,042 times
dogmom..........I wouldn't put the linens in plastic because of the possibility of drawing damp and then getting mildewed. If you have any old white sheets I would wrap them in that before storing in a box. Or else some tissue paper or even uncoated white butcher paper. Make sure you don't get them directly touching the cardboard, though, or they will yellow.

As far as the furniture, make sure you clean it well (Murphy's Oil Soap works well on good furniture) and then apply something that will soak in. I use Pledge with Orange Oil (it comes in a spray) and let it soak in well and then wipe off the excess if there is any. Do this pretty soon so that it has time to soak in well before you wipe and pack. I would also wrap something like old sheets around them before putting on any padding as it can leave marks if left on for any length of time. In fact, I would probably loosen and remove any padding and just store it in a well ventilated and dry place just covered with the sheeting. It's also a good idea to put it up on some kind of blocks so that it doesn't absorb moisture from the floor.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:28 PM

Hi there my friend...that's what I was thinking with the linens..hubby says to put in black plastic bags then box them. It's pretty dry here, but we do get rain and some snow in the winter...I wish I had room to store them up in WA but I don't. we are going to have 2 queen beds (2 bedrooms) and our bed is a CA king...I have lots of expensive (well,to me) quilts, sheets, etc...

In addition to my bedroom set, I forgot about my computer desk system, 3 pieces of cherry wood. I am going to clean with the oil soap and do a heavy coating of the furniture polish, I have some I bought at a furniture store that is good and thick, then wipe off the excess..hope for the best..i would prefer to put all in a climate control storage, they cost more, maybe we can rent a small climate control storage just for those expensive pieces, plus they are accessed from the inside so don't have to worry so much about moisture. hmm...now my brain is thinking..maybe.

This is the first time in my life that I have had this good quality of furniture...I don't want to screw it up!

Thanks so much...for everything..you are such a good friend!!

Old 07-27-2008, 10:44 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,787,014 times
If the furniture is lacquered then there is no reason to oil or wax it. It is already sealed. If you do anything then just clean it.

If the furniture is an oil finish then I would oil it before storage. But chances are it is lacquered. If it has a smooth, shiny finish then it is lacquered.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:48 AM

Thanks, it isn't real shiny...I can probably find the paperwork from the purchase, might be some info there. I am going to definitely clean it with the murphys' and polish. I think we are going to get a climate control storage for the furniture, a small one, and a regular storage for the other things...I just don't want to take a chance with my furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues