Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 PM

52 posts, read 141,565 times

Advertisements

Wow, just the thread I was going to start.

I myself am planning on leaving the home I have known for 37 years (by the time I leave).

I live in San Diego county and am just tired of it in so many ways. First, this state is the most liberal, "let me tell you how to live your life" state in the US as far as I know. I am tired of all the people showing up again and again in my life who have watched be do great things, stumble and fall, do good things, stumble again, they are just always here...and so am I. I feel like I just can't breath.

My choice is a small rural town in MT with a ski resort close by. I plan on leaving in July of next year for optimum application time at the lodge. I have also crunched the numbers and figure I can make it at least six months if I can't find a job and have to move again.

I just want to go to a state and town (small) where I can breath without sucking in my past everytime. I will always be me, but I just want to find a new style of me, more layed back, more relaxed. If I can live on minimum wage where I am going, I will work a minimum wage job. If I get lucky enough to do better, I will take the opportunity. I don't need a lot, I live a very simple life, just me and my dog. Smaller and simpler is what I want and need.

To the OP, let's do it!! Nobody can say we can't, single and female. I can't wait, but planning is a must. I have wanted to go for years, but never took myself seriously until now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:21 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,454 times
I'm 40-ish and am in the process of moving by myself from Oregon to North Carolina. I know some people here, so that makes it a little easier, but I wasn't prepared to feel like a deer in the headlights most of the time.

The people here are so friendly, and it's so green and pretty. I like it a lot so far, but it's only been a week, so maybe I'm being too hard on myself. I've been worrying about every little thing, but I think I'll relax a little more as time goes on and I feel more familiar with the place. I've always wanted to live in the south, and it was a good time to just up and do it.

I moved to Oregon from Los Angeles to attend college, so I've done it before and I can do it again. I think it's harder when you're older, because you're leaving behind years of an established life. Oregon will always be a part of my life, though. I still have a condo there and some wonderful friends.

If Oregon had a sunnier climate, I probably would have stayed put, but the eight months of cold rain really doesn't agree with me.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:30 PM

19 posts, read 49,633 times
Thanks folks, this thread is EXACTLY what I needed. I'm a 27 y/o single guy that's thinking of relocating, have been trying to get out of here since college but life keeps pulling me back it seems. I'm a little sick of being so close to my family all the time and I don't have anything else here worth staying for except a good job (but with no possibility of relocation ).

Anyway, I decided this is the year my life's changing - enough already! Thinking of trying Chicago since I always wanted to try big-city life; found an old co-worker there who's helping me with the job search (fingers crossed!!!). If I can't find one, I'm leaning towards moving anyway next spring.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:15 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
I just did this, moved from NJ, after living in the Northeast all my life (mid-40's) to Salt Lake City, UT, which compared to what I'm used to, I may as well be on a different planet. I haven't even been here a week yet. I know no one. I really like the city, and the area, and all it has to offer. I picked this location after lots of research and careful consideration.

But it's so weird in the beginning before you meet people, etc. I start work in a few weeks, so I think that will help. My impression is it will be much easier to meet people than it was in NJ... and I left there because I didn't have many ties. I just wish I could fast forward to 6 months from now, and see if this place will be all I had hoped for...

Old 08-24-2008, 03:33 PM

106 posts, read 682,434 times
I have always moved for reasons such as helping a family member, going to school, job offer (mine or loved ones). For once I will be making a move for me and me alone. I plan on moving somewhere where I can make a fresh start. I look forward to meeting new people and finding new places to visit.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:07 PM

630 posts, read 2,226,740 times
If I can do it anyone can:

As a single 47 yo female I moved from CA to MA in Oct. '07', I never lived or been anywhere outside of SoCal.

I'm on the move again moving in 5 weeks from MA to NY. Still single and still on the move.

So before I turn 48 I will have move twice to two different states.....lol.

Get out there and enjoy!!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:27 PM

53 posts, read 196,908 times
Meesh584 - you described what I have just done! I am a single, 23 year old female originally from Connecticut who moved out to Denver about two months ago. My closest friend is in Ohio and my closest relative is in New Jersey.. so needless to say I'm all by myself out here! I even drove across country alone. I came because like you, I was getting antsy living back East and needed to do something different and something that didn't revolve around a boyfriend/friends/family. I feel really happy out here and am so glad I took the plunge and moved.

It's a rewarding experience to do something on your own and for your own sole benefit. I think you should go for it! Be smart, though, and plan ahead of time where you're going to live and what you're going to do for a job. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns about going somewhere completely alone or would like to talk more about Denver specifically.. I would love to show you around if you come visit!

Oh yeah.. and definitely check out the Denver forum, the people there are very friendly and helpful. Tons of suggestions on what to do out here.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
This thread just set it in stone for me.

I'm a single male, 23. Live in Maryland and jaded to say the least. I have a steady job, great benefits, and no debt. Yet each day feels like I've accomplished nothing for myself.

Looks like meesh and snowlove beat me to it but, I headed to the Rockies. I plan on selling/giving away most of my stuff. Driving 1.7k miles in a car w/ 170k miles is probably the only thing that will delay me.

Been planning where to move to exactly but it'll be less than 15 mins away from a lift/gondola. I can smell the snow already.

Every time I think about this move I get more and more anxious to do it. I'm so excited for a fresh start and to meet brand new people.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 AM

19 posts, read 49,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theOtherside View Post
This thread just set it in stone for me.

I'm a single male, 23. Live in Maryland and jaded to say the least. I have a steady job, great benefits, and no debt. Yet each day feels like I've accomplished nothing for myself.

Looks like meesh and snowlove beat me to it but, I headed to the Rockies. I plan on selling/giving away most of my stuff. Driving 1.7k miles in a car w/ 170k miles is probably the only thing that will delay me.

Been planning where to move to exactly but it'll be less than 15 mins away from a lift/gondola. I can smell the snow already.

Every time I think about this move I get more and more anxious to do it. I'm so excited for a fresh start and to meet brand new people.
Interesting to see how many people are headed out west to the mountains (like the fresh air and hiking I guess?). Like your last sentence though, pretty much sums up why I want to go: fresh start, new friends, new opportunities, etc.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
I've been trying to move for 3 years. Ever since I screwed up my last one. I went out to Phoenix. Started to get homesick (for whatever reason I don't know why). Felt that my friend who had no ties and bad family issues needed to be there more than I did. So, I willingly gave him $600 as compensation for backing out and came back. Had money, but then some bad decisions put me in the red. Months later realized I should have stuck to my guns. Have been miserable ever since. Started drinking too much. There was a point a few years ago that the bartender should have just let me sleep in the basement. Then I had a TIA which Im sure was partly because of my alcoholic ways. Since then, I've lost weight, developed rather healthy eating habits, started exercising, and drink maybe 4 beers a week. I need some more money. I need to get off blood pressure pills or at least lower the dosage to 25 mgs, and study options to maintain health coverage until I find a new job in my chosen new home. Im sure everybody says this, but I have no intentions of ever having any complications that require medical attention again. Im down, but Im not out. I shall leave again and next time it will be for good! Yesterday I was thinking 11-08. But, I have to be realistic. I have to go through the holidays and go through the family thing. All the while in the back of my head I'll be thinking, "Im leaving." January 09 I hope to be gone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues