U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:55 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,258,176 times

Advertisements

I have a trick for packing plates... I put them in a rubber maid container and place styrofoam plates in between each plate- then a sheet of cardboad box from liquor stores between each stack... the containter keeps the plates much safer and the packing in between is inexpensive and easy to do... I never broke a single plate when I used this method... Liquor stores are always giving away extra boxes- great for packing. AND Newspaper is a great friend as well... let you neighbors know you are willing to recycle for them
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,871,359 times
I was able to haul off all of the bubble-wrap and packing materials I wanted by visiting my area's furniture stores. While they keep some stuff for the store's use, to deliver things, much of it goes to the dumpsters behind the stores. I found if I asked for boxes from other retailers, and picked them up, I could have them too. Even boxes they have broken down can be re-used by taping the seams again, just like movers do.

I did invest in dish packs from Lowe's, which included the plastic to protect my crystal and china. You can also pack your household dishes between clean dishtowels, and bath towels, and other soft items.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:26 PM

983 posts, read 4,252,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Where are the best places to buy things like bubble wrap, boxes, etc. for moving? I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks in advance!
I have been comparison shopping. And I go with whoever has that item cheapest. For example I compared mattress covers btw uhaul and penske online and u haul is cheaper by $2. With so much competition they all are high to me and it's better to get used boxes. Matter of fact I passed one at work and it was a good office depot box! Gonna go grab it now

Old 08-01-2008, 02:53 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,044,608 times
Here is the correct method for packing plates - you will have the least amount of breakage.

http://http://www.atlasworldgroup.com/howto/pack/#packing

Old 08-01-2008, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,202 times
I bought my supplies from http://www.movingboxcenter.com/ when i moved earlier this month. i believe it should be among the cheapest when it comes to buying online with delivery.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:44 AM

4,922 posts, read 7,097,751 times
If you decide to use used boxes you may be inviting some unwanted visitors into your home. If you don't really know the source of those boxes I would opt for new ones.
Lowes was the cheapest place I found for most materials. The widest selection of box sizes was Uhaul.
Don

Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,825,608 times
Check out moving companies and ask how much they charge for used boxes. Sometimes they have leftover packing paper that you can get for a song--or they'll just throw it in to be nice. I know, I worked in the moving industry for 18 years.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,342,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Where are the best places to buy things like bubble wrap, boxes, etc. for moving? I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks in advance!

Craigslist under FREE stuff...you may find 'moving boxes'. I've moved several times and get them from others...then I post them and someone gets them from me. No sense in paying for something someone already paid for and is throwing away.

Also, I love Family Dollar or a dollar store - they get these great boxes of paper towels or toilet tissue...they are free for the asking.

Newspapers are best for wrapping dishes and such. Go to the local market and pick up the thrifty nickel or apartment guide classifieds.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:22 PM

983 posts, read 4,252,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
If you decide to use used boxes you may be inviting some unwanted visitors into your home. If you don't really know the source of those boxes I would opt for new ones.
Lowes was the cheapest place I found for most materials. The widest selection of box sizes was Uhaul.
Don
OH Lord so very true!! You gotta inspect and shake those used boxes. I almost packed my clothes in with a gigantic waterbug last time I moved cross country!

Old 09-12-2018, 09:22 AM

42,906 posts, read 53,421,717 times
The UHaul and other truck rental places that sell packing boxes, also collect used ones, free for the taking. Single use moving cartons are a shame not to recycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues