Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:11 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
The feeling of being HOME in a place seems to be internalized for many people with the ideal they imprinted on as far as scenery and weather go. You can always make new friends (or a reasonable facsimile), find a different job (well, eventually, in this economy), join a different church, etc.

BUT you can't change the scenery or the weather.

That's why I think reflection on what constitutes YOUR ideal environment is a very important factor in any move, regardless of the impetus for moving.

In my case, Western Oregon raised-and-bred, I just about had a nervous breakdown when I took my first job in Kansas City, State of Misery. I arrived at the airport at 11 p.m. on July 3rd, the night before I was to report for training and, as soon as I was hit in the face with the 98% humidity/actual temperature as I stepped off the plane, I knew I faced an ordeal. (Eugene doesn't DO humidity the way so much of the nation does.) A week later, someone hustled me down to the basement and said a tornado was coming, one of several alerts that season. I walked the streets after the terrifying storm was over, amazed at the debris and building destruction. (Eugene had only ONE near-tornado in my experience growing up.)

By the time the dark, wintry days of December rolled around, with wind chills 25 degrees below zero and drifts of snow piled up on all the streets -- (Eugene's temps rarely get into the teens and big snow is a rarity) -- I was spending all my down time crying and drinking too much, along with counting the days until my transfer to San Francisco went through. (That was the closest my job could get me to Oregon.) In my case (and this was back in the early Seventies), my inability to adjust to the weather and flat topography with no mountains canceled out any possibility of adjustment or contentment with my life there.

And, of course, I find it completely ironic that the majority of threads here on CD's Oregon and Washington forums cite the gray, rainy, dreary WEATHER as the one deciding factor in relocating to sunnier climes. Me, the rain is in my blood -- and I've stayed in the Northwest area ever since my disastrous experience in the Midwest, reveling in the greenery and the mild temperatures.

Different strokes...

That's some food for thought.

I don't necessarily think where you're born has everything to do with what you prefer though. Sure, in your case it's true. In my case, it's true too. We happened to be born in the places we resonated with.

But other people have to find their home. I've met people from my homestate who longed for a warmer climate, like Florida or something, and moved to it as soon as they were old enough. They never regretted it. In fact I've heard some of them make remarks like "they'd die" if they ever had to go back.

It's interesting why that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 01:41 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
Isnt it a awesome thing, that we dont all want to be in the same state? Think of the crowds, lack of housing & jobs etc... I'm glad we all want & need to be in different areas of this great Country. Every state has its beauty & good points along with the bad. None are better than others. Its just which is best for YOU! Some never leave the state they were born in, and sometimes I envy that. It must be a great feeling to know everyone around you, and to feel a sense of belonging. But then I also envy the adventurous people. The ones who can make their home anywhere. Their life seems so exciting. Bottom line is we're all different, and thats a good thing. We just have to find our own "home"...for some its hard. For me, its wherever my grands are. : ) Good luck to those who are still "hunting" and congrats to those who are already home.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:04 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
I moved to Louisiana from northern Appalachia (PA/NY) out of financial necessity.

So far I've hated every year spent in Louisiana. It's crime infested, filthy and the people are largely irritating (Not all of them, just most of them). Whenever I can, I'll be moving back out happily.

Nobody here seems able to just get together and let loose. Back in the hills we always had big community get-togethers complete with laughter and beer. Here in LA it's all football and pretending to be somebody you aren't. For the "party state" it's certainly mundane and horridly boring.

Of course there are happening spots like New Orleans. The trouble is, you are as likely to be murdered as you are to have a good time.

On top of that, some people here still harbor an anti-northerner personality. As somebody from the north, I've had my fair share of cold shoulders down here. They also seem to refuse to believe my rural country roots just because I'm a "Yankee".

On that note, I do love Tennessee. Maybe I'll move there (Perhaps back into the mountains).

Old 09-09-2010, 02:24 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
I moved to Florida a year ago-and it is horrible-tons of homeless, crime, rednecks, trailers, I moved here for a job and I don't understnad what the appeal is...

Old 09-11-2010, 06:46 PM

604 posts, read 856,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
The feeling of being HOME in a place seems to be internalized for many people with the ideal they imprinted on as far as scenery and weather go. You can always make new friends (or a reasonable facsimile), find a different job (well, eventually, in this economy), join a different church, etc.

BUT you can't change the scenery or the weather.

That's why I think reflection on what constitutes YOUR ideal environment is a very important factor in any move, regardless of the impetus for moving.
Actually, that wasn't the case for me. While heat and ultra-humidity are not my preferred climate, I can deal with them. I was looking for a "cultured" (for lack of a better word) professional atmosphere and had heard about what a cosmopolitan city Miami is. So, shame on me for not doing my due diligence! The city has no science, no industry, and only the universities are active in research. There are too many people here for my liking and Miami has a certain shallowness that shows itself in that you don't have to be good at your job, you just have to look good doing it.

Surroundings are important, but not always in the sense of climate or scenery. But, YMMV and all that. (BTW--every time I've been to the PNW for vacation or work I loved it. Beautiful country!)

Old 09-12-2010, 01:49 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
Actually, that wasn't the case for me. While heat and ultra-humidity are not my preferred climate, I can deal with them. I was looking for a "cultured" (for lack of a better word) professional atmosphere and had heard about what a cosmopolitan city Miami is. So, shame on me for not doing my due diligence! The city has no science, no industry, and only the universities are active in research. There are too many people here for my liking and Miami has a certain shallowness that shows itself in that you don't have to be good at your job, you just have to look good doing it.

Surroundings are important, but not always in the sense of climate or scenery. But, YMMV and all that. (BTW--every time I've been to the PNW for vacation or work I loved it. Beautiful country!)
This is off-topic (maybe) but I do Numerology and Miami vibrates to the number 9. On the positive side, a 9 city can be visionary and idealistic, on the negative side they can seem be elitist and arrogant. If you've ever met a person who vibrates strongly to a 9, they walk with their head held high. If you see them in the store, you assume they're the boss. Good example in my life: There was a new girl at my work. She was dressed smartly and just carried herself a certain way. I thought she was from corporate and came in for an inspection. Nope. She was just a new employee. I later found out she had very strong 9 energy in her birthdate.
Not only does the name Miami vibrate to 9 overall, it also has two nines in the word itself. I know just from that knowledge alone that Miami wouldn't agree with me. I'm an 8 Life Path, which is a challenge number to 9.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
This is off-topic (maybe) but I do Numerology and Miami vibrates to the number 9. On the positive side, a 9 city can be visionary and idealistic, on the negative side they can seem be elitist and arrogant. If you've ever met a person who vibrates strongly to a 9, they walk with their head held high. If you see them in the store, you assume they're the boss. Good example in my life: There was a new girl at my work. She was dressed smartly and just carried herself a certain way. I thought she was from corporate and came in for an inspection. Nope. She was just a new employee. I later found out she had very strong 9 energy in her birthdate.
Not only does the name Miami vibrate to 9 overall, it also has two nines in the word itself. I know just from that knowledge alone that Miami wouldn't agree with me. I'm an 8 Life Path, which is a challenge number to 9.
I find your response very interesting. I know nothing about numerology. I have responded to this thread (I think or others like it) when I was feeling extremely chipper about my relocation. Now as time passes I often wonder if this move was a mistake. Financially this was a great move and in this economy that means a great deal, but now that we are settled I am finding the area lacks a lot of what I need beyond money. I wonder how this area falls into numerology and what it means for me.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 AM

414 posts, read 1,019,951 times
I've moved a lot, but the worst was from Albuquerque, NM to central IL against my will (I was 17 at the time). I've been sticking it out in IL to stay near my family for 5 years now (yikes, that long!), but once I finish up student teaching I'm going to be hoping (praying, vowing to sacrifice my first born child, whatever works) to find a job back in the SW. I've been trying to take advantage of being closer to extended family as well, but I'm reaching the end of my tolerance for central IL weather and "scenery". Also for some reason I just don't "click" with the people here. They're friendly and everything, but I've tried and I can never get closer than an average friendship with anyone here.

I guess since I didn't actually make the decision to move here it's not really a regret for me...more of an unfortunate event.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:08 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
I just don't "click" with the people here. They're friendly and everything, but I've tried and I can never get closer than an average friendship with anyone here.
That is how Indiana is too. I think people get their friend slots filled and that is it.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:33 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
That is how Indiana is too. I think people get their friend slots filled and that is it.
It's bad here in Louisiana as well. If you make a friend, and no matter how long you stay close, one argument, count it, ONE argument will typically make a Louisiana native decide to hate you forever.

No talking it through, no getting over it and no moving on. ONE argument and the friendship is destroyed.

Urban New Yorkers aren't that bad even! Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues