Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Funny.... people would rather risk their lives and have their houses torn apart by hurricanes than deal with some gray skies and soft, beautiful snow. Weird! LOL
heehee
To me, Chicago is a fantastic place to visit--but living there? No way.
Takes all kinds. Steve-o, wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same stuff?
And I really don't think my life is in any immediate danger by living here.
If my house is torn apart--so be it. Maybe it's partly my age. I figure I am over the hill, more life in back of me than in front of me.
I am done being landlocked, and finished with shoveling snow, which, by the way, can cause plenty of death and damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 10:22 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,350 times
I was in the Calif bay area when i got out of the army. stayed long enough to really want out. came back home to ID. havent left the NW area since. ID MT have been home. wont go anywhere else. GOD willing, will die in the beauty of montana.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:00 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,331 times
I went to chicago 1 time, rented for allmost a year then decided boy this place has everything under the sun & chicago at night, it turns into a totaly different city, looked at houses & and was all set to buy.

then i got to thinking about yea it's got crime, wind allways blowing, cold as all get out, got cold feet and came back here.

but i'll be danged if i'm not doing it again, this time down south.

it makes one wonder at times is it the grass greener on the other side syndrom, this place has to be better, perhaps the way we talk ourselves into this place is no good, i've had it with this place, i'm going to find myself a better place.

or could it be the truck driver syndrom, just gotta be movin around.

kinda scary when you think about it, move somewere then 5-10 yrs down the road, well the ol gypsy feeling is back, time to find another greener pasture.

then you think of well if i move to place A, i decide i don't like it there will i have the funds to move to place B.

i do know one thing, this board will sure get you in a pickle, i started off with the pasture is greener in tn, then i got the idea of well you know i could go to southwest virginia were property values aren't going to skyrocket so soon, then when i thought i had it narrowed down, well i took a lil keyboard trip over to the south carolina board & discovered a place called greenville.

whats a guy to do, allmost like in baskin robbins.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:33 PM

46 posts, read 427,191 times
Have you checked out upstate New York? To me, that is exactly what you are looking for. Look at the area just below the Adirondacks.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:00 PM

131 posts, read 492,641 times
I think you have a point there. I think I will take a break from this place as I seem to be focusing on negatives.....Thanks & I will be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
I went to chicago 1 time, rented for allmost a year then decided boy this place has everything under the sun & chicago at night, it turns into a totaly different city, looked at houses & and was all set to buy.

then i got to thinking about yea it's got crime, wind allways blowing, cold as all get out, got cold feet and came back here.

but i'll be danged if i'm not doing it again, this time down south.

it makes one wonder at times is it the grass greener on the other side syndrom, this place has to be better, perhaps the way we talk ourselves into this place is no good, i've had it with this place, i'm going to find myself a better place.

or could it be the truck driver syndrom, just gotta be movin around.

kinda scary when you think about it, move somewere then 5-10 yrs down the road, well the ol gypsy feeling is back, time to find another greener pasture.

then you think of well if i move to place A, i decide i don't like it there will i have the funds to move to place B.

i do know one thing, this board will sure get you in a pickle, i started off with the pasture is greener in tn, then i got the idea of well you know i could go to southwest virginia were property values aren't going to skyrocket so soon, then when i thought i had it narrowed down, well i took a lil keyboard trip over to the south carolina board & discovered a place called greenville.

whats a guy to do, allmost like in baskin robbins.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:21 AM

259 posts, read 1,918,098 times
To Hawaii From California......but Only Cuz Of Living Expenses In Hawaii.....

Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 AM

30 posts, read 154,071 times
My husband and I are considering a move to Central, PA. to be closer to family and friends. Hopefully we won't regret it.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:07 AM

30 posts, read 154,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Yes. I was passing through Dallas, TX to visit family. Since I had no plans on where I wanted to live, I stayed with family, started working, a year later I was married. A year after I got married I was sick of this place. The wife and I couldn't agree on a place to move to and the years began to pass. Money became a problem too as she was dragging us down trying to support her deadbeat sister. A few issues that I won't mention and finally the marriage ended with me in debt. I had saved up the money and even had a job lined up in 2005 to get me out of here when I went deaf (went deaf in each ear about 8 months apart). Turns out I had tumors in my ears and they had wiped out my middle ear bones. Despite having insurance, the high cost of the surgery and all the pre-ops wiped my savings out. Thats all done and now i'm on the road to saving and getting out of here again. I hope to be out of Texas for good by 2008.
Ankharu,

What didn't you like about Dallas? That city was on our list of possible places to move to.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:37 PM

205 posts, read 989,495 times
I SSOO wish people on these board would listen to the comments about FL. I have lived here my entire life and despise it..we are planning a move next year. If you jump on over to the FL board there are SO many people yakking about "how beautiful" FL is and "what a great place to raise a family" BIG @@ at them....almost all of these people are northerners who have visited here once or twice and are conviced they have found their own personal paradise.
FL is a great place to visit, but not to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIENDLYWORLD View Post
I feel the same about Florida, I live in the Orlando area, been here 9 years and I'm ready to go. It's overpopulated, the traffic is terrible,the crime has increase badly, the neighbours hardly know each other, (for one thing everyone keeps leaving), there is no sense of community here. Nothing for the newcomers, like a place where you can feel wellcome or meet other people, only if you come as a visitor for the attractions, what about the rest of us? I think Florida is nice to visit but not a great place to live. I can't wait to go!!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Moved from my home state of CA to TX. Lived there 9 months, hated it and came back home. I think TX is one of those places you have to be born and/or raised in to appreciate. It just wasn't for us. Nothing like getting back to beautiful, sunny SoCal weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues