Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM

182 posts, read 469,348 times

Advertisements

I guess I should introduce myself since this is my first post. I am a 20 year old college student who will graduate in 2010. I am a wildlife biology major. I am getting married in October of this year.

I am interested in taking a job in the government or for the parks and wildlife. I am very interested in moving out of Texas, always have been, but I am pretty sure to get a better career/job, I will definitely need to move out of state.

My fiance and I will may be adopting my niece, who will be 4 around the time of the move. So I know that will come into affect, but we won't adopt her until after the move is done. We want to move somewhere where we can start our family and enjoy ourselves. No cities, but will commute if we have too. Would prefer these states:

Colorado
New Mexico
Montana
South Dakota
North Dakota
Wyoming
Nebraska

We are excited about this move. I love the mountains and have always dreamed of living near them. It doesn't necessarily have to be near a ski resort. Just close enough that we can take a day trip if we want too.

Needs to be family oriented.

Thanks you guys. This board seems great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 PM

Also, what tips do you suggest in prepping for a move?

Which of those states are better for new college graduates?

I would also like to add Alaska to the list of states we would like to add.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
I'm sorry but only thing that jumps out at me is that you are 20 yrs old and thinking of MARRIAGE!!! Is there a reason you are rushing into marriage so young? I just wish young people would live life and grow first before taking such a big step! I remember being 20 and I barely knew what I wanted for myself let alone the stress of marriage.

Oh well back to the reason of yr post... Never mind I can't help it...WAIT TO GET MARRIED!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnally View Post
Also, what tips do you suggest in prepping for a move?

Which of those states are better for new college graduates?

I would also like to add Alaska to the list of states we would like to add.
Now as far as tips on moving... first decide how you want to move. Like do you want to drive yourselves, hire professional movers, etc. Once you establish that then start to shop around for prices. If you will move yourselves look at price of rental truck, cost of gas, hotels, etc.
Moving is not cheap no matter which route you take!! You have plenty of time to prepare so that's good.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 AM

I will need to find a place first to live. lol.

I need to know things about taxes in these states. Laws. Real Estate prices. Insurance costs. Job availability, etc.

Also, honestly it's my choice whether I get married or not. I have lived a long eventful life at only 20. I have been through a lot and I kind of like to think I make good decisions now. If I didn't feel like this was the right thing, I wouldn't be doing it.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:10 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
Quote:
I guess I should introduce myself since this is my first post. I am a 20 year old college student who will graduate in 2010. I am a wildlife biology major. I am getting married in October of this year.
So you are inquiring about where to live TWO years from now. I think two years is a long time but it is good foresight to do some research and maybe do some visits to several places. As for why it is a long time, in two years the interested area may change, the schools may decline, taxes may go up, etc.

Quote:
My fiance and I will may be adopting my niece, who will be 4 around the time of the move. So I know that will come into affect, but we won't adopt her until after the move is done. We want to move somewhere where we can start our family and enjoy ourselves. No cities, but will commute if we have too.
Okay, wow that you are adopting your niece, shows maturity and I wonder what the circumstances are around that. So you will essentially have an instant family; with that you need to consider how good the schools are, housing, taxes, etc.

Quote:
Would prefer these states:

Colorado
New Mexico
Montana
South Dakota
North Dakota
Wyoming
Nebraska

We are excited about this move. I love the mountains and have always dreamed of living near them. It doesn't necessarily have to be near a ski resort. Just close enough that we can take a day trip if we want too.

Needs to be family oriented.
When we have moved and consider moving we always go to Barnes and Noble or library and look at this book. We compare the current city we live in with the stats of any other place we are interested.
Amazon.com: Places Rated Almanac (Special Millennium Edition): David Savageau: Books

I wish you the best of luck and hope your marriage, adopted niece and move, all work out for you; that is a lot of change!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks. It's looking more and more every day like the adoption will happen. My mom has her for now, until I can finish college. But if I could afford it, I would totally take her now.

I know it's really early, but I would like to get an idea of how things are. I would love to move to Colorado, but I hear that it is pretty hard hit by this recession. Where I am in Texas, the only thing bothering us is high gas prices, but they are backing down, so it's getting better here. I had a lady tell me she moved here from Colorado Springs because not even Wal-Mart was hiring.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I don't have the links saved anymore, but I believe it is bls.gov and projectionscentral.com that have statistics on how job outlook is, sorted by field and by state. Job growth for the field you are interested in should be your #1 priority, and assuming your fiancee plans on working, check into her line of work, too. You may also want to look into the National Park Service, which may offer opportunities for transfer to the state of your choice. Best of luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:51 AM

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:28 PM

248 posts, read 805,393 times
Wink Every where is being hit...

Right now, every state in some way is being hit by the recession. It is very hard to predict where the economy is going to be in 2 years. What I suggest you and your fiance both do, is to take a trip - if you can... to the two states that really get the two of you excited...and since you are adopting your niece- driveable or quick flying distance to family for some help if need be or a great babysitter! ... if possible.

I've been to Colorado - Estes Park - small town in the mtns - and Boulder - LOVED IT! Boulder, from what I gathered, it is a family town, with a great downtown area, but it is growing quite quickly... Colorado Springs - which I saw you mention - which is beautiful as well.

Maybe, your best bet would be to get on the CD state forum and post a question about what you are looking for and see if you can find any pictures that would help you narrow down the areas you are looking for. Once you narrow it down, about 1 year out - take trips and visit these places. Go into the smaller coffee shops and local grocery stores, ask strangers for information if you want. Also, get onto a real estate site - or ask the state forums if they know anyone... so that when you take your trip you can see what you can get for your money - or just about property and state taxes.

Or even just for rentals! This forum is fantastic for getting information and pictures! I hope that this helped you a little bit...but my recommendation - Colorado or Montana - esp. if you love your winters & mountains!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues