Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 PM

488 posts, read 816,600 times

Advertisements

I'll be looking for a self storage place for a year or so and was wondering if I should stick with the big companies (Public Storage, U-Haul, etc.), or would I be better off going with a local independent co. Do the big guys offer more useful services, or are they pretty much the same as the smaller ones?

Are rates negotiable? I'm thinking that if I can find a place with a relatively high vacancy rate, they might be quite flexible, as it seems this industry iq quite competitive. I'll probably be moving to Pasadena, but don't mind getting a storage facility further out in the suburbs, as the rent is much cheaper.

Also, I was thinking of building a simple "loft" inside the storage unit using 2 by 4's and plywood, so that I can stack things up to the ceiling and maximize the use of space. More trouble than it's worth?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:36 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,451,478 times
Well, since I have experience in Pasadena......I can tell you that we had our stuff in storage in an outdoor facility type place (you have your own unit with a garage door from the outside) and we ended up with some weather and possible rat damage. We also had spiderwebs and such all over our stuff.

We moved everything to the Public Storage on Colorado Blvd. All indoor/temp controlled, and we were much happier with the place overall.

My vote is for an indoor/temp controlled place.

Dawn

Old 09-03-2008, 12:30 AM

103 posts, read 781,530 times
PODS - Reinventing Moving and Storage > Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues