Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:59 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Back in the day, I used to hang out with race drivers car and motorcycle, including some folks who went to the Bonneville Salt Flats with motorcycles in official attempts to break the world speed record). They were, every one, extremely careful on the public roads and did not complain at all about the traffic laws and regulations. Why? First, they had absolutely nothing to prove by driving like a maniac on the roadways; they already knew they were excellent drivers. Two, they'd seen what a vehicle accident can do to the human body. Three, they knew that they weren't the only ones on the roads and that there were people with a vast range of ability and experience, from themselves on down to the teenager with their learner's permit, and that those other drivers could come out of nowhere when least expected when you thought you were entirely alone on the road. It was the only sane thing to do, to abide by the traffic laws, and glad they were that those laws were in existence.

Food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
No beer after 12; no sunday liquor sales, 2 A.M. club/bar closures (in miami party is merely halfway done) 60 mph speed limit on I-30 from ft worth to arlington (i have to drive 100 to get anywhere in time) security personel at the nightclubs watch your every move!
Excuse me but these are immature reasons for hating a city!!

Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
absolutely

Oh please; google The German Autobahn if it makes you feel any better. atleast there ARE speed limits here (thanks to people like yourself slowing us down)

My sympathy goes to you; but speed doesnt always equate to dying. Amazing how people disdain going 10-20 mph over the speed limit on a highway in the middle of nowhere; yet those same maniacs wont even yield to pedestrians on the street. ridiculous
My niece would still be alive if the driver had been driving the posted speed limit!! I don't want or need your sympathy...What I want is for jerks to SLOW down and pay attention to the rules of the road and not to think that the highways are their personal Indy 500 racetrack!

If you're angry because you can't drive fast in Dallas--well guess what, every city in the US has posted speed limits. Move to Germany and drive on the Autobahn everyday if that's your thing!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
ok folks, I really hate to have to step in but please keep this thread on topic and free of personal attacks. My message is meant as a general announcement to all, not to any particular poster. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:08 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Two, they'd seen what a vehicle accident can do to the human body. and that those other drivers could come out of nowhere when least expected when you thought you were entirely alone on the road. It was the only sane thing to do, to abide by the traffic laws, and glad they were that those laws were in existence.

Food for thought.
Ok thanks, but no-thanks for re-caping on my 4 months of Driver's Ed training ...but I am fully aware of all of that you mentioned ok.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
If you're angry because you can't drive fast in Dallas--well guess what, every city in the US has posted speed limits. Move to Germany and drive on the Autobahn everyday if that's your thing!
I understand; I really do. But my question is; I dont see why you're excusing other driver's behavior on the roadways. at 60 mph I'm sure you've seen it people speeding right past you.

If I'm only driving 60 mph; half the highway wants to run me off the road! Especially since my car is smaller than most of the 18 wheelers everyone in Texas loves to drive...

Old 09-06-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Excuse me but these are immature reasons for hating a city!!
So you're saying the mayor of places such as Miami and San Dieago are immature just because they stretch the laws a bit instead of sheltering their residents?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Instead of sitting there beating on the keyboard about having to move away from your friends, why not get out and gte some new friends where you are? Might not happen right away, but before long you could be telling your old friends about the party they are missing where you are now. I was told once not to ***** (excuse my french!) about something until I see if I can remedy the situation.
well I am going to ***** about something if it sucks ok? If I feel that way; then obviously this place is lacking something for me to be bitching about right? Just in the same way anyone else would move from one part of town to another and gripe...I am in every way entitled to do so.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:11 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
well I am going to ***** about something if it sucks ok? If I feel that way; then obviously this place is lacking something for me to be bitching about right? Just in the same way anyone else would move from one part of town to another and gripe...I am in every way entitled to do so.

Well, you could just keep moving until you find what makes you happy, right? I moved from SE MI due to an employment transfer. Not thrilled about it cuz I left 3 older kids and other family/friends in MI. I am trying to make friends and enjoy what I can here in VEGAS. If you come here to party and speed-good luck.

Oh, and as far as speeding-I don't see it here at all. In fact, it is quite the opposite, drives my husband nuts how slow they go here. On roads that are 45 you are lucky if they are going 35. Course, MI is a speedy state-speed limits are just suggestions.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Well, you could just keep moving until you find what makes you happy, right?
yea, but I think I'm going to maybe make 1 more move (if thats the case) for a while. Im also tired of having to start new relationships with people that are completely different. The attitude in one city may be too much (or too little) in another.

I dont have an issue starting a new scenario, but it's the adjustment that can get tiring. When I was in FL I had already adjusted to the way of life, which is completely different then TX, which I know is completely different from other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues