U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,824,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by septocaine_queen View Post
Does u pack mean clothes, dishes, books, etc but not beds and wrapping the furniture? We are starting to research our move from Las Vegas to Wyoming.

U pack means you do everything but transport the stuff. You can hire guys to do this for you, but it is a separate cost.

Frankly, I moved from MI to Vegas and researched every possible way-we did not get a relo pkg-I found the moving company to be the cheapest. PODS were ridiculously high. In fact they were the highest and I told them that. ABF Upack wasn't too bad if you want to go that way.

I liked that the moving co. did all the wrapping, undoing beds, putting them back together...but then again, my husband was already at the destination and I didn't feel like having to recruit people to help my load. Plus, the apt we moved into is on the 2nd floor and there was no way I would have been much help with that.

Cost to us was $2300. and that came to about a 1.5-2 br. home.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 10:56 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,502,559 times
Default we're

moving ourselves. After a few on scene quotes, telephone calls and my husbands insane(lol) care about his zillion dollar drumset(s)... we are moving ourselves. NO relo from his company. Cheap SOBS. I found Budget had the best rates. I did an online quote... then called.. without telling them I had. He gave me a price 200. ABOVE the online quote. Then I told him what the online quote was ... he put me on hold for a few minutes and came back with $1001. which was 400 less than anything and 2400 miles and 8 days. Well...my husband will be coming home to finish packing everything... including his beloved drums... and will be driving the truck. 16' but a 22' was the same price. While I follow/lead in my SUV. We have downsized over the years so being moved didn't seem like the right move. I have thrown away so much 'stuff' in the last couple of weeks ... While we have a GPS I also have MS Streets and Trips. It will calculate based on your MPG where/when to get gas... how far you can go in a given day including breaks(we are traveling with 4 dogs) hotels, gas stations, rest stops, restaurants... when to stop for gas.. how much it will cost...Yeah, I have put some time and research into this
Naturally we have to cross the Rockies in the beginning of Dec... they don't have anything in the software for that. So we're getting walkie-talkies with built in weather stations in them!
I sure hope I get to see the worlds biggest ball of twine

Old 11-19-2008, 01:07 PM

634 posts, read 2,394,702 times
where did you get MS Streets and Trips? That sounds very cool. We will be doing a move at the end of Feb 09 and are starting to look at how to get our stuff from Seattle to Tulsa. I've used Penske before, but I noticed Budget is cheaper. But then again I am contemplating Upack, but it seems so much more $$$$. Does anyone know if upack offers discounts?

thanks,

Old 11-20-2008, 11:58 PM

983 posts, read 2,293,193 times
I am relocating from SF, CA to CLT, NC end of December and after calling around I decided to use Door to Door [SIZE=2]http: //www.doortodoor.com They gave me a quote for $3500, for 3 containers. They are similar to PODS only about $1000 cheaper. I don't have a ton of things, but I am single and called a local mover "Starving Students" to help me load the containers. They will even do that on Sunday. When I get to Charlotte I will do the same, have some local movers unload the containers for me. The cost local movers here in CA will charge me $80/hr. So overall it should be couple hours for them to load the containers since I will pack everything myself. Hope this helps you.. Good luck[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 12-08-2008, 03:51 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,141,288 times
Just wanted to add my info here for future relocators:

We're moving a 1200 sq ft townhouse: 3 bedrooms, but not a lot of heavy furniture (2 beds, 1 desk, 1 couch, small dining room, etc). We're hiring professional movers and doing our own packing. The move is from NC to WA.

Moving company 1: Estimated our stuff to be 6,000 lbs. Cost=$5,000
Moving company 2: Estimated our stuff to be 5,000 lbs. Cost still $5,000
Moving company 3: Estimated our stuff to be 4,000 lbs. Cost=$4,000

Obviously, we went with company 3. We could've called back the first company and haggled them down (they called us later and scolded us for not doing so). I don't haggle. Either quote me a fair price up front or you don't get my business.

Each company offered a minimum price guarantee. If your stuff is heavier than they estimate, you don't have to pay anything over what they quote you. If your stuff is lighter than they estimate, they give you a little discount.

Cost to move 2 compact cars: $3,200. (yikes).

Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 PM

28,928 posts, read 68,925,621 times
When we moved from CA to MI pods were out of this world expensive. We hired movers who packed about half of our stuff and neighbors helped pack the otehr half. We have a family of 7 so it was quite a lot of stuff. It cost $13,000. We got about six bids. We also checked into pods. I do nto remember the cost, but I do remember being shocked.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 PM

188 posts, read 604,753 times
we just (finally, six months after moving ourselves!) moved a 10x10 storage unit packed to the brim with boxes, including a LOT of boxes filled with heavy books. Trip was from CA to NY. We used ABF U-pack. Cost was 1700, which was MUCH lower than the quotes we got for full service. Of course you have to pack and unpack it yourself, but as we had almost no furniture or appliances to move (just a heck of a lot of boxes that were already packed), it was a no brainer. Stuff arrived when they said would and it's all sitting in my garage now, waiting for me to get motivated to unpack it.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:46 PM

549 posts, read 939,328 times
We moved from Texas to Arizona in October. We paid 5,650.00 $ (chevy blazer included in that price). They crated our two LCD TV's and a 42" glass table top. Besides the furniture we packed everything else ourself. We didn't take any appliances. They estimated that we had 6,870 lbs.
We used Graebel Van Lines and were very pleased with the service. They were on time for the loading and unloading. Nothing went missing and nothing was broken. It could have been cheaper if the car would have been transported through a carrier instead of in the Van with the furniture. But we wanted everything together. And everything including the car was loaded in front of our door.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:59 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,319,998 times
Figure out how big a truck you need to hold all your stuff. Call U-haul get a quote, keep checking on the prices up until a couple of days before you go. Also to get a lower price. On the uhaul site they should have numbers of people that will move you and also get people set up at the other end to unload. Cheaper and you control more of the moving, just not the loading and unloading.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:01 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,163,373 times
We have moved several times, all but one move was a full relocation. Meaning, the company paid for 100% of the move with packing,loading and unloading. Each time the moves ran anywhere between $6-7K (around that). THe move we did on our own cost us a little more,but that was I believe due to the packing items we purchased,such as the bubble wrap,the boxes,etc... then of course paying for the movers to load and unload.
It mainly depends on the weight and I believe sometimes,the number of boxes also.
Having a vehicle moved can of course, add to the price of your move expenses. We have only done that once and I don't remember the total amount for that move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues