U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,566 times

Advertisements

Watch out for PODS' pricing. They don't tell you that the "storage" price includes the shipping time too. There is in fact no such thing as a storage price. It is all pods usage time. They quoted me a storage price and after my pods left their warehouse enroute to my new home cross country, they charged me an additional "storage fee" of $487. This caused my check for my first month's mortgage to bounce plus added over-draft fees from my bank and my lender. When I called PODS, they just said it was a valid fee and were very abrupt about it. They also have no supervisors you can talk to so you are just screwed. I don't recommend PODS to anyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:36 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,329,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wren99 View Post
Can anyone tell me how much it will cost to move things from a one bedroom apartment in the San Francisco Bay area to Ft. Myers Florida in 2014? And what is the best way to go? Is it cheaper to drive and tow my car or just let someone move it. So far all the comments are from 2008 which does not help with today's prices. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.
If you're up for the drive, load a truck up and tow your car. Only drive 10 hours a day. Sleep we'll every night.

Another option is to get a pods quote and UBF quote. Then load your stuff and let them transport and you just drive car.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how much it will cost to move things from a one bedroom apartment in the San Francisco Bay area to Ft. Myers Florida in 2014? And what is the best way to go? Is it cheaper to drive and tow my car or just let someone move it. So far all the comments are from 2008 which does not help with today's prices. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.
Expect to pay $1500 at least

Old 06-26-2014, 10:13 PM

5,105 posts, read 7,000,094 times
Quote:
What is a UBF quote?
Typo, perhaps. I think he meant ABF:

Freight Shipping Companies | abf.com

Old 06-27-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Typo, perhaps. I think he meant ABF:

Freight Shipping Companies | abf.com
Exactly thanks

Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your response. What is a UBF quote? I can check PODS but the forum says they are very expensive. Maybe now they are more reasonable.
You can't trust a bunch of strangers online. Call pods yourself for a quote. Expensive to them may not be expensive to you. I used it once and it was fine.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:27 PM

128 posts, read 134,401 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any other suggestions for this move from San Francisco to Fort Myers that involve other carriers that are reliable and not expensive?
I got a Upack quote for a trailer up to 6ft for 996 but that was from terminal to terminal, it would have been 1400 for door to door.

I just got a quote for You Crate for a small crate that's about 48x48x80 for complete 1100 mile trip for a little under 800. If you don't have a lot of stuff this is about what we will be spending on the rental truck we are using. I just can't fit my king mattress in the box.

But I have to agree, call to get quotes. There are cheap options out there, my husband and I are moving on very little out of necessity so I've been looking all over.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have any other suggestions for this move from San Francisco to Fort Myers that involve other carriers that are reliable and not expensive?
We can't do your homework for you.

Call all places and get quotes.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:47 AM

14,785 posts, read 20,878,904 times
well are you including deposits for rentals , electricity , water etc ? are you just doing the move travel thing because we have done all of our home work and we are including gas for the truck , truck and deposits on everything and it comes to 4200 for all and that may be a lil over but I would rather be over than under cost and not have enough .

Old 06-29-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I am not asking anyone to do my homework for me. This forum is about feedback on peoples experiences with different moving situations. You have given your feedback brian but there are others who may have useful information so try to be kind will you?

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk. The odds that you will find a person on this board with the exact move that you are doing is really small. How many people move from San Fran to Ft Myers? I'm sure tons of people move from San From to somewhere and tons of people move from somewhere to Ft Myers.

Here is what I suggest you do.

See what it would cost to get you from door to door.

You should know the gas mileage of your car, right. It's roughly 3,000 miles from San Fran to Ft Myers. let's say you get 25MPG. So that means it will take 120 gallons of gas. Let's say that it cost $4/gallon. So you can budget $480 for gas to drive your car there.

It will also take 3-4 days of driving. You want to be safe, and get hotels. Let's say that you stay in a hotel 3 nights at a cost of $80/night.

So the total cost just to drive would be $720. That's the $240 for hotels plus the $480 for gas.

Scenario 1:
Get a quote from PODS to move your stuff. Ask them about storage. If you don't need storage, then that's no big deal, they can just deliver straight to the new place.

For giggles, let's say that they will charge you $1000.

Take that $1000 and add $720 that I calculated earlier for you to drive.

Scenario 2:
Call UBF and get quote. Add that to the cost to drive

Is UFB or PODS cheaper?

Scenario 3:
Take quotes from PODS or UBF and then also get quote to ship your car. I have family in the car hauling business and I can tell you that it will cost close to $800 to ship a car from coast to coast. That is close to the cost you will pay to drive. Then you will still need to get there so calculate cost of plane ticket. With this scenario it will cost more since you are flying, but you aren't sitting in a car. But when you get there, you won't have a car because it will be on a truck in one of the fly over states en route to Florida.

Scenario 4:
Look at your stuff. Is there anything that you really think is worth paying approximately $1500 to ship (or whatever the quotes are). If not, then consider having yard sale, craigslist ads, etc. Sell all you can, donate the rest and then use the $1500 when you get to Florida to buy new stuff.
With this scenario, you just put your clothes, personal items, etc in the car and just drive. You can buy a roof mounted luggage rack to hold more stuff.

Good luck.
BTW, I grew up in Ft Myers and it's a nice area. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

One more thing to mention. If this is a relocation for work, and you typically itemize deductions for the IRS then you will be able to deduct moving expenses on your taxes next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues